Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's no longer canon (and never really was) but I really liked the Han Solo trilogy (not the Brian Daley novels, although those were pretty good too) in the old EU.
A writer from the Star Wars story team said a great deal of old EU will be canonized going forward recently

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Yeah the novelization isn’t canon. This link goes over the links between the EU Han Solo origin book and the new movie. I suppose not all that surprising giving how much TFA seemed to draw inspiration from the EU (despite his claims he wouldn’t). It’s actually pretty funny because when Kasdan was hired to write the character based spinoff, he said he wouldn’t look at the EU at all and wanted to do something new. Perhaps it was his script of Boba Fett being a name used by someone wearing the armour that was based on this claim, which didn’t happen obviously.

A writer from the Star Wars story team said a great deal of old EU will be canonized going forward recently

If you got the link I’d be interested to read this.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
So they show a teaser trailer for Solo, a star wars movie about a young solo, and yet they show very little of solo.

This thing has bomb written all over iti

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah the novelization isn’t canon. This link goes over the links between the EU Han Solo origin book and the new movie. I suppose not all that surprising giving how much TFA seemed to draw inspiration from the EU (despite his claims he wouldn’t). It’s actually pretty funny because when Kasdan was hired to write the character based spinoff, he said he wouldn’t look at the EU at all and wanted to do something new. Perhaps it was his script of Boba Fett being a name used by someone wearing the armour that was based on this claim, which didn’t happen obviously.

If you got the link I’d be interested to read this.
I have to dig. It was a tweet. Gimme a bit.

kuj8ry1rxuc01.png

Reactions: Nullus Reverentia

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
It’s supposed to be old? Based on what?

I guess it might not be new... but it’s still clean!

In the EU, the ship that eventually came to bear the name Millenium Falcon was built decades prior to the Clone Wars. Normally, that would be irrelevant, but a model set for the Falcon was released a couple years ago, with a guidebook that canonized that date. It's about 60 years old in ANH, so it should be about 50 years old in this.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It’s supposed to be old? Based on what?

I guess it might not be new... but it’s still clean!

Have you ever wondered how a mobile bachelor pad could be so clean? It's clearly not because of Han.

Apparently, the Star Wars Holiday Special held the answer all along:

HolidaySpecialWookie.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nizdizzle

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Interesting. Looks like they drew on the EU backstory of Han Solo joining the Empire before he became a smuggler. I like that. Ehrenreich seems to have got the voice matched pretty well too.

Still really skeptical and I believe it’ll be bad until proven otherwise, but the teaser has me more optimistic than previously.

Wasn't he a Tie Fighter pilot in the novels? I didn't read them, just a synopsis of them once long ago.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Well the TLJ trailer was epic and that movie was straight up trash. This teaser gave me a Fifth Element vibe. Which I am cool with. Saving judgment till I see the full trailer today though.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
My first reaction is what the hell is with the Millennium Falcon knockoff? Or does it somehow get a completely different front end by the time the OT rolls around?

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
My first reaction is what the hell is with the Millennium Falcon knockoff? Or does it somehow get a completely different front end by the time the OT rolls around?
The only difference seems to be the gap in the middle of the "jaws" at the front is filled in. I'd guess they are just carrying cargo, because if my Star Wars nerd-knowledge doesn't fail me, the Falcon is a Correllian Freighter, and I believe that gap in the front was made to hold cargo. They just never did in any of the previous movies.

Reactions: Voight

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Looks very meh.

I was hoping for something sleazy yet fun; likable dirt bag characters, seedy bars, the dumpy locales of the galactic criminal underworld and fast women. The wild west in space with some levity. This looks like a lot of "imperial entanglements" and takes itself fairly seriously overall.

It could be alright, but the trailer doesn't do anything for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad