Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I wonder if were going to get a delay shortly? Not a peep in marketing for a Star Wars movie 4 months from release is bizarre.

At this point Id welcome an announcement its been pushed back to Christmas

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
A "Hans shot first" joke wouldn't be a subtle joke, it would be an inside joke. Not a particularly clever one either.

I don't agree that jokes are intrinsically subtle or not subtle. Their delivery determines that, IMO. For example, if you were to have young Han get stopped by a Greedo look-alike, shoot him and then say dramatically to Chewie, "always shoot first," that would be totally un-subtle and rather lame (and just what these folks running Star Wars would do); I agree. On the other extreme, if you were to have young Han shoot a random species first without even saying anything, it would be so subtle (and relatively clever, IMO) that the vast majority of people probably wouldn't initially pick up that it was even intended as an inside joke. It'd be the same joke, just delivered in two opposite ways.

I wonder if were going to get a delay shortly? Not a peep in marketing for a Star Wars movie 4 months from release is bizarre.

We did get that synopsis a few days ago (in lieu of the promised trailer). That was a marketing peep, even if it was about the peepest peep you could possibly peep. I agree with your point, though, that it's bizarre to have so gotten so little when the release is so near.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
If this underperforms, it’s likely Disney writes Episode 9 as safe as possible, then takes a step back to rethink the franchise.

Star Wars is s very limited universe, unlike Marvel. It’s for the best if Disney scales back their “movie every f***ing year!” plan, and instead focuses on the new theme park, and maybe some smaller media.

Release a fresh new trilogy starting in 2023.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If this underperforms, it’s likely Disney writes Episode 9 as safe as possible, then takes a step back to rethink the franchise.

Star Wars is s very limited universe, unlike Marvel. It’s for the best if Disney scales back their “movie every ****ing year!” plan, and instead focuses on the new theme park, and maybe some smaller media.

We're going to hit burnout real soon because they haven't bothered to flesh out the Star Wars universe beyond the established tropes.

I wonder how many ideas will be obvious and corny...

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
We're going to hit burnout real soon because they haven't bothered to flesh out the Star Wars universe beyond the established tropes.

I wonder how many ideas will be obvious and corny...

The issue is that there’s not much out there to flesh out for a general audience beyond the same old Sith vs Jedi stuff. They tried to do something with more nuanced lines of good and evil in Rogue One, and people didn’t like it.

I just don’t ever see a world in which a major Star Wars blockbuster about a Darth Revan-esque character makes a billion dollars. The market just isn’t there for that kind of story, sadly. So you either continue to do good vs evil stuff, or depart from Jedi/Sith entirely, at which point the films become generic science fiction.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Star Wars is s very limited universe, unlike Marvel. It’s for the best if Disney scales back their “movie every ****ing year!” plan, and instead focuses on the new theme park, and maybe some smaller media.

Episode 8 made oodles of cash, and considering the Han Solo movie has been a major problem from the outset they have plenty of excuses if/when it fails without feeling the need to go "safe" for Episode 9.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
The issue is that there’s not much out there to flesh out for a general audience beyond the same old Sith vs Jedi stuff. They tried to do something with more nuanced lines of good and evil in Rogue One, and people didn’t like it.

I just don’t ever see a world in which a major Star Wars blockbuster about a Darth Revan-esque character makes a billion dollars. The market just isn’t there for that kind of story, sadly. So you either continue to do good vs evil stuff, or depart from Jedi/Sith entirely, at which point the films become generic science fiction.

The material is there for a Darth Bane trilogy. Deadpool did 745 million as a rated R move. It's not like dead pool had a following anything close to Star Wars. Disney wouldn't even have to do Bane as an R movie necessarily. As long as they kept it dark, without jokes & porgs it would be new material that could attract a general audience.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The material is there for a Darth Bane trilogy. Deadpool did 745 million as a rated R move. It's not like dead pool had a following anything close to Star Wars. Disney wouldn't even have to do Bane as an R movie necessarily. As long as they kept it dark, without jokes & porgs it would be new material that could attract a general audience.

You’re dreaming if you think Disney ever in a million years releases a dark, potentially R rated Star Wars film. There’s almost zero chance of that happening. Star Wars has been marketed toward children and their parents since 1983. Disney of all organizations isn’t going to veer away from that demo.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
You’re dreaming if you think Disney ever in a million years releases a dark, potentially R rated Star Wars film. There’s almost zero chance of that happening. Star Wars has been marketed toward children and their parents since 1983. Disney of all organizations isn’t going to veer away from that demo.

Star Wars has always been for kids since 1977

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Marketed at kids and for kids are very different things. Star Wars is the former, most certainly not the latter. Especially since the sequel trilogy is most definitely here to ravage the bank accounts of people who grew up with the OT.

I don’t see Disney green lighting an R rated Star Wars movie anytime soon, but I could see them doing one eventually. An R-rated, Star Wars film, if done well like Deadpool, would immensely raise the brand cache. There’s a reason Disney is keeping Deadpool 2 and will likely continue to make R-rated materials.

Star Wars is absolutely not a limited universe. Don’t confuse Disney’s f***ups for what Star Wars actually is. The Expanded Universe was arguably bigger than Marvel’s, which is saying something given the EU only started in ernest in the late 1980s, while Marvel has 50+ years of publications.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I think there is tons of potential with the Star Wars brand. The problem is Disney hasn't done any work to flesh out any characters, universe, or backstory. This Solo movie is a symptom of just how little creative energy there is behind the entire venture.

They have released three Star Wars movies in three years and the entirety of the their Star Wars universe canon development is that now the role of Darth Vader is being playing by a young handsome actor (so he can't wear a mask now) and the role of Luke Skywalker is being played by a fierce young woman.

That is literally it. The rebels are flying around on the Millennium Falcon and are being chased by not Darth Vader and not the Empire. Still.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The darkest SW you're going to get is in the clone wars,and it has some pretty dark material.

Ventress killing clones, then holding one up, making out with him before viciously stabbing him to death.

Ventress killing the Republic traitor in cold blood.

Maul and Savage killing a bunch of kids (albeit it's off screen)

Maul beheading a bunch of civilians in a holo vid to the Jedi council.

Pre Vizsla executing his own men

Anakin killing the traitor on the ship in cold blood, and from behind.

The whole premature activation of order 66.

And many many more.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I still think they could salvage some things. I didn't hate episode 8 (didn't love it, but not as bad as some people say). There is a ton of potential in the universe and I'm really hoping they'll do a movie from a Sith perspective. The Darth Bane trilogy was great in that sense. I'd like to see a movie where the hero is a vilain. After all, the rebellion is a bunch of troublemakers disagreeing with the government put in place. lol

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Star Wars is for everyone. Kids and adults.

As for this Han Solo movie, it's possible that it could be the best Disney SW film yet. Howard is a respectable film maker. A troubled production doesn't guarantee a bad movie. Unlike the main trilogy, the spin offs provide the opportunity to do something different.

I'm more interested in this than episode 9 that's for sure.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
With the rumoured issues with the actor cast as Han Solo, I went back to see some of the other names that auditioned.

I found a listicle here:

10 Actors Who Have Already Auditioned To Play Han Solo

But, to save people from clicking through a bunch of links, some of the names are Dave Franco, Aaron Taylor Johnson, Miles Teller, Rami Malek, Ansel Elgort.

If Alden Ehrenreich does end up being a disappointment, I wonder if there's any one actor people are going to look at and feel would have been the better choice. Ansel Elgort was able to carry a starring role in Baby Driver. I think he might have been the best choice personally.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I personally would have voted for CGI Harrison Ford with actual Harrison Ford voice over.

I suspect that Ford would've agreed to that only if they promised to, at some point, give Han laryngitis. Chewie would then have had to do all of the talking and it just wouldn't have worked.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Marketed at kids and for kids are very different things. Star Wars is the former, most certainly not the latter. Especially since the sequel trilogy is most definitely here to ravage the bank accounts of people who grew up with the OT.

I don’t see Disney green lighting an R rated Star Wars movie anytime soon, but I could see them doing one eventually. An R-rated, Star Wars film, if done well like Deadpool, would immensely raise the brand cache. There’s a reason Disney is keeping Deadpool 2 and will likely continue to make R-rated materials.

Star Wars is absolutely not a limited universe. Don’t confuse Disney’s ****ups for what Star Wars actually is. The Expanded Universe was arguably bigger than Marvel’s, which is saying something given the EU only started in ernest in the late 1980s, while Marvel has 50+ years of publications.

Details about the history of Darth Vader’s suit does not constitute world building. It’s superfluous, meaningless detail for the sake of detail. And that describes 95% of everything in the EU. The best thing Disney did was wiping it all from canon.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Details about the history of Darth Vader’s suit does not constitute world building. It’s superfluous, meaningless detail for the sake of detail. And that describes 95% of everything in the EU. The best thing Disney did was wiping it all from canon.

Yeah, the vast majority of the EU is pretty bad... and I say that as someone who read a huge amount of it and enjoyed every minute of it. Most of it is guilty pleasure kind of material. There is definitely some great stuff in there though.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
You are telling me you didn't get anything out of learning that there was a facility called the "Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center"? Or that they wiped down Darth Vader's suit with Woodoo hide?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
There was definitely some weird/bad shit in the old EU. I enjoyed a lot of it though up until post-NJO where it really went off the rails.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I liked a lot of the EU, but I will admit there is a lot of it that is horrible.

I'm happy with what is considered canon at the moment.

IIRC its:

KOTOR series
TOR
Clone Wars
The prequels
The Original Trilogy
Rebels (unfortunately)
The New Trilogy
The books associated with the new trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad