OT: Sochi 2014 Olympics - Hockey Discussion Thread Part II

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't feel a huge connection to Team Canada this year. The first time I really felt excited about the team was the last 5 or so minutes of the Team USA game where I convinced myself if the US got a good bounce, it could go to overtime.....and anything can happen when two teams share an overtime.

I want Team Canada to win, I don't want to Sweden to win, but I also wouldn't be that upset if Sweden won by virtue of the fact that I'm a bigger Karlsson/Senators fan than I am a Team Canada fan. I sort of wish Russia or Iceland made it to the finals so that I could have somebody to cheer against that I could convince myself are legit heels.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
They probably mean for the game before that.

He is hurt so this worked out for the best.

The fewer Sens players that go to the Olympics, the better as far as I am concerned, my one worry is that they will be injured there. I dont mind Ryan not being picked and I could care less that the Americans didn't win bronze, I was happy to see Finland win anyway.And as it seems Ryan has a nagging injury I am very glad that he didn't go.

I dont have a bone to pick with them for not choosing Bobby any more than I do with the Canadian brain trust for not choosing Spezza or Methot

But Burke who is a publicity hound and was aware that reporters were in the room, went out of the way to say things that he know would be reported in a sensational way and would be humiliating and hurtful especially as he was the one who drafted Ryan.

So I was more than happy to see him with egg on his face and happy to see the US go home empty handed.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I don't feel a huge connection to Team Canada this year. The first time I really felt excited about the team was the last 5 or so minutes of the Team USA game where I convinced myself if the US got a good bounce, it could go to overtime.....and anything can happen when two teams share an overtime.

I want Team Canada to win, I don't want to Sweden to win, but I also wouldn't be that upset if Sweden won by virtue of the fact that I'm a bigger Karlsson/Senators fan than I am a Team Canada fan. I sort of wish Russia or Iceland made it to the finals so that I could have somebody to cheer against that I could convince myself are legit heels.

You want to cheer against Iceland? And Icelandic people are heels in your opinion?

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
The fewer Sens players that go to the Olympics, the better as far as I am concerned, my one worry is that they will be injured there.

Yep, that killed us in 2006 when Hasek went and got injured. That's the year the SENS would have won the Cup, as Emery was not ready to take the torch! :cry:

Look at Teams like Montreal had 8 players go this year! Let's see how much gas is left in the tank for them. :)

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
My biggest fear tomorrow is that Karlsson makes a huge defensive mistake that leads to a goal by Canada.

I want Canada to win, but i am extremely hope that Karlsson is not the reason why Canada either wins or even scores a goal.

I do not want to add fuel to the fire on Karlssons defensive ability debate. The main boards would just go nuts in crucifying Karlsson if he was the reason Canada scored.

Last edited:

Bushido

Sep 14, 2006
So far things have went as well as hoped.

Russia gets nothing.
USA gets nothing.

If Canada wins Men's Hockey gold :handclap:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
If EK scores a point, and Doughty does not score 2 more than Karlsson will be the outright tournament points leader

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
My biggest fear tomorrow is that Karlsson makes a huge defensive mistake that leads to a goal by Canada.

I want Canada to win, but i am extremely hope that Karlsson is not the reason why Canada either wins or even scores a goal.

I do not want to add fuel to the fire on Karlssons defensive ability debate. The main boards would just go nuts in crucifying Karlsson if he was the reason Canada scored.

My biggest fear is that Karlsson will get injured.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Really kind of happy the USA lost today. I mean, it sucks that they didn't get to play in the gold medal game -- but damn... they should fight for a medal. Finland came in to win, and they deserved it!

As for Canada and Sweden, I'm getting up with the kids in the morning and am making waffles! Waffles, maybe a mimosa or coffee/liquor and hockey game!!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The way the US went about choosing the team and the whole "intense" debacle makes it all the sweeter.

I wonder if they're going to examine what went wrong in Sochi with the same intensity.

(PSSST, HEY, AMERICANS... HERE'S A HINT: START WITH "BROOKS ORPIK ON INTERNATIONAL ICE SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA TO US!", AND GO FROM THERE)

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I wonder if they're going to examine what went wrong in Sochi with the same intensity.

(PSSST, HEY, AMERICANS... HERE'S A HINT: START WITH "BROOKS ORPIK ON INTERNATIONAL ICE SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA TO US!", AND GO FROM THERE)

Also: Might not want to leave Jack Johnson, Keith Yandle, and Kyle Okposo off your roster.

PS Brian Burke is an idiot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad