OT: Sochi 2014 Olympics - Hockey Discussion Thread Part II

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
CanadianHockey said:
I'd be interested in seeing if those figures change when you adjust for the number of Canadian competitors/teams and the number of total medals available.

It would.

There are a lot of variables that I'd like to examine but being in the middle of exams is preventing me from going beyond this surface scratch.

Like the increase in qualified athletes over previous years and percentage of total medals awarded.

At a quick glance..

138 total medals awarded at the Calgary Olympics (1988) and 258 in Vancouver. Nearly twice as many medals awarded however still a big gap in percentage.

1988 - 0.03% of medals awarded (5 total - no golds)
2010 - 1.00% of medals awarded (26 total - 14 golds (olympic record))

Small insight. If someone has time, interest, energy and is good with creating and embedding spreadsheets please look into it.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Swedish posters complaining about Canadian refs for the final game. :laugh:

I've seen every single minute of each game (and yes, a Canadian ref was involved in all games), I didn't see a call that made me think of favoritism. Heck, Canada has the least amount of PPs/game.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Swedish posters complaining about Canadian refs for the final game. :laugh:

I've seen every single minute of each game (and yes, a Canadian ref was involved in all games), I didn't see a call that made me think of favoritism. Heck, Canada has the least amount of PPs/game.

I called them out on it. Just like some of the pessimists around here, it seems like those posters have so little faith in their own team that they're coming up with excuses before the puck even drops. That way, if they lose, they can feel like they saw it coming.

First time I've ever seen that many posters from one nation whine about reffing BEFORE a game.

Bushido

Sep 14, 2006
Really hate that the game is at 7:00 am. Is there a restaurant or public place that people can gather to watch the game? I believe CTC had it during last Olympics if I recall correctly.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Are we the only province that isn't allowing alcohol sales? Because I know Calgary, Winnipeg and Edmonton are allowed to serve at puck drop.
They discussed it today on Team 1200.
Toronto can make its own rules for liquor consumption and their council has voted that bars can open early on Sunday
All the rest of Ontario is under provincial regulation and all requests for open bars for Sunday have been turned down so far.
May be some open across the river though.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I'm wondering where the nay sayers & unpatriotic Canadian fans are now on this Forum???? :rant:

They seem to be pretty quiet since their loom & doom prediction of Canada losing to USA! :handclap:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Dude, if someone disagrees with you and you end up being correct, just be the bigger man. Smile and let it go. Saying stuff like "Where are they now!??!" just makes you bad.

Be the bigger man.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Dude, if someone disagrees with you and you end up being correct, just be the bigger man. Smile and let it go. Saying stuff like "Where are they now!??!" just makes you bad.

Be the bigger man.

Exactly.

I made the prediction that Canada would lose, but I was still supporting them.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
They discussed it today on Team 1200.
Toronto can make its own rules for liquor consumption and their council has voted that bars can open early on Sunday
All the rest of Ontario is under provincial regulation and all requests for open bars for Sunday have been turned down so far.
May be some open across the river though.

Yup in TO we can start boozing it up at 7am. Eggs, bacon and cold suds!!! :D

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If you look at Canada's roster vs. Sweden's roster, this much is clear - if both teams play their best game, Canada wins handily. Canada is stronger and deeper at every position. If Canada can replicate today's incredible commitment to team D, they'll smother Sweden.

One thing that made me happy today was seeing our guys coming off the ice totally stone faced. No one was whooping it up after the game - every guy looked like they knew there was one more battle to go.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Refs have been extremely fair this tourney.

In fact, the "underdog" team usually receives more PP's than the "favourite."

I actually expect to see Sweden get more PP's than Canada in the final game.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
You shouldn't count the Swedes out. We all know Lunqdvist is capable of stealing a game outright and he could easily do what the Latvia goalie did. That being said it would take that and Price ******** the bed for Sweden to win in all honesty.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
You shouldn't count the Swedes out. We all know Lunqdvist is capable of stealing a game outright and he could easily do what the Latvia goalie did. That being said it would take that and Price ******** the bed for Sweden to win in all honesty.

IMO, if they shut down Karlsson, which they can, Canada will face easy team to forecheck.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Honestly, Karlsson is the straw that stirs Sweden's drink. Shut him down and they've got nothing.

Which should tell everyone else how much better he is than Pieterangelo and Subban.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad