Soccer Prospect Discussion Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If a kid is good enough and he's sent to the right team, the club he's loaned to will use him like Kroos, Christensen, and Kramer.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well our u17s went out on pens against Spain. Though we controlled the ball well for long stretches, Mbom's absence was clearly felt as the team had no way to move the ball into the final third without resorting to the wings. Which left Abouchabaka really isolated when he'd get the ball and Arp was starved of service.

Cetin recycled possession well but didn't show enough of the incisive impulses that are expected of a talent like him.

Yeboah and Awuku both were able to dribble past Spanish defenders on the wing, but Yeboah didn't create enough from these openings he was able to force and Awuku came on too late to capitilize on our early possession dominance.

Anyway, the team qualified for WC despite missing key figures like Kuhn and Mbom

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Still extremely young as well but Jadon Sancho looks incredible. I was mostly watching for Brewster but Sancho stands out a class above the rest.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Still extremely young as well but Jadon Sancho looks incredible. I was mostly watching for Brewster but Sancho stands out a class above the rest.

Had the same observation. I think Brewster is a great talent but Sancho is the blue chipper in the pool.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

I was waiting for someone to mention him on here.

Yes, he is a different class. People will be bigging him up like crazy over the next few years.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if he got time with the City first team next year. Guardiola has never been shy about playing youngsters if they're good enough -- and he certainly looks like he's got the talent, and he's not physically slight either.

Although Celtic are reportedly after him and that wouldn't be a bad place for him to go either, at all.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He could actually play for City right now or at least for half the season. And yes, even though he was 16 years old.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Remember everyone hyping up Gedion Zelalem? ���

Didn't he have a strong season? After the way Arsenal just f***ed up with Gnabry, I wouldn't be in such a rush to give up on Zelalem just because he to isn't breaking through with that club.

Sucks for American fans that he re-upped with Arsenal instead of moving to a club like Werder, Gladbach or Hoffenheim.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Remember everyone hyping up Gedion Zelalem? ���

To be fair, it was for good reason. He has wonderful technique, ability to create space and ability to see passes. He just doesn't have much else, and has no directness in his approach. Everything he tries to do is east-west.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
To be fair, it was for good reason. He has wonderful technique, ability to create space and ability to see passes. He just doesn't have much else, and has no directness in his approach. Everything he tries to do is east-west.

He was loaned to a 2nd tier Scottish team and was benched there. The writing was on the wall.

Didn't he have a strong season? After the way Arsenal just f***ed up with Gnabry, I wouldn't be in such a rush to give up on Zelalem just because he to isn't breaking through with that club.

Sucks for American fans that he re-upped with Arsenal instead of moving to a club like Werder, Gladbach or Hoffenheim.

Injuries ****ed over Gnabry.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

No, he had an awful season. Bench player in the Dutch second division. It doesn't matter much for American fans as most have not expected much from him for awhile now. At the time Wenger was saying that they got rid of Fabregas because they had Zelalem, people were really hopeful that he was a special player, but as fans saw him play more and more, they realized he wasn't that good, and that they were fooled by his style over the substance of his full play over 90 minutes that highlight videos don't show. But sure, if he turned into a good player, it'd be a welcome bonus.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was loaned to a 2nd tier Scottish team and was benched there. The writing was on the wall.

Yeah, I think that was it for most people. For some, it was even earlier.

I was referring to the early hype though when he was 16 or 17. It wasn't only fans, it was Wenger, being in and around the Arsenal first team at 16 and 17, these videos people saw, occasional bursts of play against teams who park the bus and give him a year to pick passes. In the end, thats not enough to become a top player. Many players flash potential, and it fools fans. He was one who did that.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
As mentioned before being loaned to West Brom wasted a year of development for Gnabry.

He was actually supposed to be in the first team this year which is why they loaned out Campbell but he didn't want to extend his contract so he was sold.

Zelalam can't handle the physicality of the game which is why he hasn't succeeded yet.

cgf where did you hear he extended?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't remember, but there was some rumors about BMG being interested in bringing him in on a free over the winter before some articles said that this ended when he extended with Arsenal.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, I think that was it for most people. For some, it was even earlier.

I was referring to the early hype though when he was 16 or 17. It wasn't only fans, it was Wenger, being in and around the Arsenal first team at 16 and 17, these videos people saw, occasional bursts of play against teams who park the bus and give him a year to pick passes. In the end, thats not enough to become a top player. Many players flash potential, and it fools fans. He was one who did that.

He was also a pivotal player on German youth NTs where he showed nice incisiveness with his passing. Disappointing if that's been beaten out of him, but not shocking.

Gnabry is a much more physical and direct player; so the English style wasn't as contradictory and so wouldn't have been as much of an issue for his development as it would be for a more elegant player like Zelalem.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I figured I might as well update my list from last year.

2016: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=118365381&postcount=163
2015:http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=100037677&postcount=636

I'll stick to those eligible for US youth teams, which are those born 1997 and after. And then I'll do a top 3 for goalies, and add a few younger players. I haven't seen enough of players born after 2000 to properly rank them.

1. Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund-1998): Very well rounded attacker who does everything well. Others might have higher ceilings as they might have potential, but he has easily the highest floor. Probably going to be a CAM long-term, but mostly plays LW or RW right now.
2. Erik Palmer-Brown (Sporting Kansas City-1997): He's had a few pitfalls with injuries and club situations that aren't his fault, but has as high potential as any US player there is. Tall, fast, good on the ball, aggressive, good defender. Mostly a CB, can play DM.
3. Andrew Carleton (Atlanta United-2000): Most offensively skilled attacker on this list. Human highlight reel who usually plays LW, but can play RW or CAM. Has been a prodigy for years, and has done nothing to damage that reputation. Only thing standing in his way is average speed.
4. Haji Wright (Schalke-1998): A striker who was promoted to the first team today, along with #5 on my list. Has a size, speed, technique, goal scoring combination that very few match, but sometimes struggles with reading of the game, although its improved a lot already.
5. Weston McKennie (Schalke-1998): Also promoted to the first team today. Has had a meteoric rise in the last year going from FC Dallas U18's to Schalke first team. Versatile CM, mostly B2B, very athletic, good dribbler, good passer of the ball, exceptional in the air and tackle. Consistent performer.
6. Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham-1997): Really good defensive CB for a player his age. Very rarely does he make any defensive errors. Incredibly strong and good in the air, despite only being 6'0. Built like a linebacker.
7. Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake-1997): This is where I believe the talent drops off some. Glad is a little lower ceiling, but he's so steady. Reads the game exceptionally well, very mobile, good passer, decent size and aerial ability along with very mature defending as a CB. Plays a bigger role for his club team than any player on this list.
8. Josh Perez (Fiorentina-1998): Inverted winger who plays on the right, and likes to cut in on his left. Very skilled, quick, good dribbler. Can score or assist plays. Debuted for Fiorentina first team earlier this season.
9. Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas-1999): A #10 with exceptional soccer IQ. Very good passer of the ball, and has excellent technique on long shots, as well as scoring inside the box. Not the best dribbler, but good enough. Has played as a B2B mid and RW before, but I only like his play as a CAM.
10. Chris Gloster (US U17 National Team-2000): The New York Red Bulls product currently playing in the US residency program is a very athletic and good defensive LB. He shows defensive smarts well beyond his years and has good pace going forward.
11. Josh Sargent (US U17 National Team-2000): Strong center-forward who has improved leaps and bounds the last year. Has added some athleticism to become an average athlete. Very good hold up play, hard worker off the ball, and can score goals with his feet or head. Recently named to U20 World Cup team, youngest since Adu.
12. Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls-1999): Crazy energy from a defensive midfield position. N'Golo Kante-like in his approach to the game. Seems like an early maturer from all I've seen, so I worry if there's more to his game, but right now, he's starting in MLS as an 18 year old for a good team.
13. Tommy Redding (Orlando City-1997): A mobile and good passing CB who has put in some very nice performances in MLS the last few years. Has struggled at times with physicality and aerial marking, but has been improving in these areas. Reliable performer in a US shirt.
14. Nick Taitague (Schalke U19-1999): The third of the US Schalke trio. Taitague has exceptional ball control and feet. He operates really well in small spaces, and has the ability to score and assist goals. Deceptively good dribbler. Operates best as a CAM, although he can play on either flank.
15. Marco Farfan (Portland Timbers-1998): Has come out of nowhere to put in some really nice performances for the Timbers first team, although he's lost his place of late. A LB who is very technically adept, along with underrated athleticism, and pretty good defensive play for a player his age playing against professionals.
16. Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers-1997): Has had a very rough go of late after a poor U20 qualifying tournament and little MLS playing time, although there is still potential in his game. He's a strong CF who is a very good finisher, along with having a decent hold up game and good feet.
17. Marlon Fossey (Fulham U23-1998): I've been very surprised about his game. A technically skilled RB who also is very fast down the right side of the field. He has occasional defensive lapses, but he's made strides defensively. Out of contract in the summer, I suspect he'll be moving to a better club.
18. Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas-1998): Athletic RB who likes to get forward with good enough ball skills. He's not yet debuted in MLS, probably due to the defensive side of the game, but I've seen improvements in his defensive play the last few years.
19. Brooks Lennon (Real Salt Lake-1997): He's done nothing but show well for the USA and RSL of late, but he's a little limited in what he can do. He can sniff out goals, and is good on set pieces, yet he leaves a little to be desired athletically and creatively. Can play on either flank or as a false 9.
20. Chris Durkin (DC United-2000): A physical central midfielder who is very responsible defensively, and is capable of starting the attack with good enough passing. He's among the more heralded players in his age group, yet lacks a little in the way of athleticism and dribbling for a CM. Also capable of playing CB.
21. Tim Weah (PSG U19-2000): A goal scoring attacker, best playing as a striker, although he can play as a winger. Very quick, with good feet and efficient finishing. Has struggled at times in a US shirt, doesn't even start in his US age group. He might benefit some in perception from his last name and his club stature, but he has talent.
22. Gedion Zelalem (VVV Venlo via Arsenal-1997): A very technically skilled CM who creates space really well, showcases very nice ball control, and can pick passes when given space, but struggles with just about everything else. Might suffer in perception from being in the limelight for many years compared to some other players.
23. Mukwelle Akale (Villarreal C-1997): A small winger, also capable of playing CAM who is very fast and a very good dribbler. He is capable of scoring goals, and is a smart player, but needs to improve his passing. He has struggled some at Villarreal since he joined the club.
24. Derrick Jones (Philadelphia Union-1997): A towering box to box CM who emigrated from Ghana to the USA at age 14, recently got his citizenship. Very athletic, fast, powerful CM who is able to help out defensively and offensively.
25. Matt Olosunde (Manchester United U23-1998): A versatile player, usually a RB, but has played LB, CB, LM and RM before. A tall and fast player who defends well, and has shown some skill going forward, at times. Might get his debut this weekend with Manchester United. Has been training with the first team of late.

Top 3 Keepers:

1. Justin Vom Steeg (Fortuna Dusseldorf-1997): A tall keeper who has very good reflexes and command of his box. Has shown well for many years at many different levels. He has sat on the bench for Dusseldorf's first team a few times this season, as their #3 keeper.
2. Brady Scott (De Anza Force U18-1999): Another tall and athletic keeper who has good command of his box. Scott who has been a star for the U18 National Team has earned the interest of European scouts, and also has earned a spot as the 3rd keeper on the U20 National Team where he is the second youngest player.
3. Justin Garces (US U17 National Team-2000): Another talented Bradenton residency product. Garces is a very well-ronded keeper. He has excellent reflexes and very good distribution, along with decent height. He has improved a lot in recent years going from very talented but inconsistent to very good and consistent, one of the best performers for the U17 National Team.

Younger players to watch for:

Konrad de la Fuente (FC Barcelona U16-2001): An attacker capable of playing as a winger or striker who has lightning pace, excellent ball control, good attacking creativity and eye for goal. He is a top performer in his age group for club and country.
John Hilton (LA Galaxy U16-2001): Hilton, nicknamed "Xuxuh", has been a talked about player for many years. He is an attacking RB reminiscent of Dani Alves. Hilton beats defenders easily with pace, skill, good passing and high soccer IQ. He is also a very good defender for a player his age.
George Bello (Atlanta United U16-2002): A well rounded LB who is very athletic, very advanced defensively, and has good technical ability. He is capable of taking set pieces as he has a very good left foot, and recently was the only player in his US U15 age group to move up to the U16 age group for a U16 camp.
Giovanni Reyna (New York City FC U16-2002): Yes, he is Claudio's son. Gio is a silky smooth operator from the #10 position. He has excellent soccer IQ, very good playmaking, along with the ability to dribble past defenders with skill moves and the ability to score goals. Has really burst onto the scene for club and country even further in the last few months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad