Soccer Prospect Discussion Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2002
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/01/marcus-edwards-spurs-contract

Marcus Edwards, the 17-year-old Tottenham Hotspur midfielder, is locked in a stand-off with the club and has not signed the professional contract that was put before him last December.

The attacking midfielder, who is rated as one of the best prospects from his age-group in England, remains on his scholarship deal, which expires in the summer of next year and, as things stand, he could then leave as a free agent for a fee fixed at a tribunal.

A host of leading clubs in England and mainland Europe – alerted, in particular, by his performances for England Under-17s – have tracked his progress and they sense that he could be poached from Tottenham.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gunna save this on the first page here in case something happens to this computer. Just a note I maintain for myself with lists of germany prospects/u23s that I've either seen enough of; or whom I've heard enough about, from people I've learned to trust when they gush about a kid; to be excited-to/interested-in follow(ing) the development of. Loosely ranked on talent level/potential, though with how much of their potential I feel like a player will actually make us of being a factor as well...and in some case I had to break players up by where they were in their development...or just to make it more readable.

* Players with asterixes are extreme long shots in my eyes, but who's talent put them on the lists purely on potential, in case they do put it all together

Forwards/Wingers:
J. Eggestein (17)
Draxler (22)
Werner (19)
*Avdijaj (19)
Dadachov (16)
Volland (23)
*Kurt (19)
Brandt (19)
Sane (20)
Ochs (18)
Vujinovic ('99)
Bunjaki (18)
Saglam (17)

Waldschmidt (19)
Selke (20)
M. Philipp (21)
Bytyqi (18)
D. Parker (19)
Cueto (19)

10s:
Meyer (20) / Gotze (23)
Ar. Ferati (18)
Oztunali (19) - I expect him to move to the 8 at some point
B. Henrichs (18)
Schreck (16)
Amiri (19)
Barry (19)
Ali Ferati (16)
M. Eggestein (19)

8s (b2bs and passers):
LeGo (20)
Dahoud (20) / Oztunali (19)
Akkaynak (17)
Stendera (20)
Can (22)
Arnold (21)
Gerhardt (21)
Kohr (21)
Baby-Khedira (21)
Demirbay (22)
---------------
Mehlem (18)
Christiansen (19)
Burnic (17)
Ozcan (18)
Serdar (18)
Janelt (17)
Tillman (17)
Ozturk (19)
Zickert (18)
Gaudino (19)

6s:
Kimmich (20)
Geis (22)
Besuschkow (18)
Weigl (20)
Meffert (21)
Ristl (19)
Dorch (17)
Bauer (20)
Stark (20)
Promel (21)

FBs:
P. Itter (20)
Passlack (17)
*Dudziak (20)
Akyol (17)
D. Itter (17) / G.L. Itter (17)
Bader (18)
Karakas (17)
*da Costa (22)
Klostermann (19)
Weiser (21)
Plattenhart (23)
Mittelstadt (18)

N.Schulz (22)
Durm (23)
Korb (23)
Toljan (21)
Zimmer (22)
Gunter (22)

CBs:
Tah (19)
Gul (17) - Likely ends up a 6, but I'd love to see him remain a CB.
*Ginter (21)
*Rudiger (22)
Sule (20)
Kehrer (19)
Mustafi (23)
Gimber (18)
Karakas (17)
Kempf (20)

Klostermann (19)
Torunarigha (18)
Baumgartl (19)
Heintz (22)
Knoche (23)
Orban (23)
Friedrich (20)
M.Schulz (20)

I know I've forgotten some guys worth mentioning here.

GKs:
MAtS (23)
Leno (23)
Horn (22)
Karius (22)
Mueller (22)

Wellenreuther (20)
Vlachodimos (21)
J. Huth (21)

Konigsmann (18)
Schubert (17)
Steve Kroll (18) - Union Berlin

I can't judge keepers until I see them against pros; so I ended the list there and just named a couple who seem to be atop their age groups, but whom I can't rate.

Last edited:

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Wow what a post cgf!

I guess you watch German football a lot. You're now my source for knowledge and opinion on Bundesliga hahaha. Much more intelligent than reading all that junk that DeficiencyMod dude says.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's unnecessarily confrontational. DM and I disagree on certain players (Geis being a prime example) and some things tactically (see our disagreements about Schmidt); but he knows the BuLi, and BVB in particular, very well.

phv

Feb 27, 2016
Gunna save this on the first page here in case something happens to this computer. Just a note I maintain for myself with lists of germany prospects/u23s that I've either seen enough of; or whom I've heard enough about, from people I've learned to trust when they gush about a kid; to be excited-to/interested-in follow(ing) the development of. Loosely ranked on talent level/potential, though with how much of their potential I feel like a player will actually make us of being a factor as well...and in some case I had to break players up by where they were in their development...or just to make it more readable.

* Players with asterixes are extreme long shots in my eyes, but who's talent put them on the lists purely on potential, in case they do put it all together

Forwards/Wingers:
J. Eggestein (17)
Draxler (22)
Werner (19)
*Avdijaj (19)
Dadachov (16)
Volland (23)
*Kurt (19)
Brandt (19)
Sane (20)
Ochs (18)
Bunjaki (18)
Saglam (17)

Waldschmidt (19)
Selke (20)
M. Philipp (21)
Bytyqi (18)
D. Parker (19)
Cueto (19)

10s:
Meyer (20) / Gotze (23)
Ar. Ferati (18)
Oztunali (19) - I expect him to move to the 8 at some point
B. Henrichs (18)
Schreck (16)
Amiri (19)
Barry (19)
Ali Ferati (16)
M. Eggestein (19)

8s (b2bs and passers):
LeGo (20)
Dahoud (20) / Oztunali (19)
Akkaynak (17)
Stendera (20)
Can (22)
Arnold (21)
Gerhardt (21)
Kohr (21)
Baby-Khedira (21)
Demirbay (22)
---------------
Mehlem (18)
Christiansen (19)
Burnic (17)
Ozcan (18)
Serdar (18)
Janelt (17)
Tillman (17)
Ozturk (19)
Zickert (18)
Gaudino (19)

6s:
Kimmich (20)
Geis (22)
Besuschkow (18)
Weigl (20)
Meffert (21)
Ristl (19)
Dorch (17)
Bauer (20)
Stark (20)
Promel (21)

FBs:
P. Itter (20)
Passlack (17)
*Dudziak (20)
Akyol (17)
D. Itter (17) / G.L. Itter (17)
Bader (18)
Karakas (17)
*da Costa (22)
Klostermann (19)
Weiser (21)
Plattenhart (23)
Mittelstadt (18)

N.Schulz (22)
Durm (23)
Korb (23)
Toljan (21)
Zimmer (22)
Gunter (22)

CBs:
Tah (19)
Gul (17) - Likely ends up a 6, but I'd love to see him remain a CB.
*Ginter (21)
*Rudiger (22)
Sule (20)
Kehrer (19)
Mustafi (23)
Gimber (18)
Karakas (17)
Kempf (20)

Klostermann (19)
Torunarigha (18)
Baumgartl (19)
Heintz (22)
Knoche (23)
Orban (23)
Friedrich (20)
M.Schulz (20)

I know I've forgotten some guys worth mentioning here.

GKs:
MAtS (23)
Leno (23)
Horn (22)
Karius (22)
Mueller (22)

Wellenreuther (20)
Vlachodimos (21)
J. Huth (21)

Konigsmann (18)
Schubert (17)
Steve Kroll (18) - Union Berlin

I can't judge keepers until I see them against pros; so I ended the list there and just named a couple who seem to be atop their age groups, but whom I can't rate.

Can you please tell me what you've heard about Enis Bunjaki and Akkaynak?

By the way, Besuschkow is not a 6. He is a number 10 and I guess he could play as a box-to-box midfielder too. Barry is a winger and I think he could turn into a good attacking right-back if given the opportunity. The way Christian Pulisic dribbled past Danny da Costa(who is 5 years older) on several occasions in the recent match between Ingolstadt and Dortmund was very disappointing. Unfortunately, he(da Costa) can't defend but is good going forward. You forgot to mention that Yannick Gerhardt has the potential to be a top left-back.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Can you please tell me what you've heard about Enis Bunjaki and Akkaynak?

By the way, Besuschkow is not a 6. He is a number 10 and I guess he could play as a box-to-box midfielder too. Barry is a winger and I think he could turn into a good attacking right-back if given the opportunity. The way Christian Pulisic dribbled past Danny da Costa(who is 5 years older) on several occasions in the recent match between Ingolstadt and Dortmund was very disappointing. Unfortunately, he(da Costa) can't defend but is good going forward. You forgot to mention that Yannick Gerhardt has the potential to be a top left-back.

Gerhardt as left back? I doubt he would make that shift at the club level.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I forget if it was for one of the NTs or what, but Gerhardt did look really good at LB somewhere. I remember watching him and getting annoyed that noone had tried doing that with Maxi Arnold...who I think would make an excellent LB if moved there. The problem is that, like with Maxi, it seems highly unlikely for him to make that switch at club level in the forseeable future; and without that I can't see him getting the time in at that spot.

Besi's just got deep sitting playmaker written all over him IMO. Just like it was with Toni Kroos back when he still played as a 10. I dunno as much about how his development in stuttgart is going as the Stuttgart kids I only find much out about when they're with the various NTs; but a creative 6 is where I see him fitting with the NT, if he develops well and reaches the senior-NT level.

Da Costa's defensive incompetence is a big part of why there's an asterisk next to his name. As you say, he's gifted in attack, but by his age you'd like to see some semblance of defensive ability to start showing itself. Still talented enough to make a real career of it if he ever does figure it out, or if he grows enough in his attacking influence to become dynamic enough to make up for it; a la Marcelo.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Neat, I'll do the same as cgf but for Dutch players (I won't list players that have declared, or are likely to, play for other NTs). My information comes from a combination of watching youth games/nationals when I can, and a private discussions group I'm a part of with some folks over in the Netherlands that regularly watch the youth teams and discuss them (we even keep a few charts with player rankings, etc.)

I'm not huge on ranking them just because especially the younger you go there's so much that can change. I'm a big fan of just picking out the top talents, but I've tried to kind of order them in what would be a general ranking with lots of wiggle room.

Forwards/Wingers
Steven Bergwijn (97)
Bobby Adekanye (99)
Justin Kluivert (99)
Che Nunnely (99)
Memphis Depay (93)
Quincy Promes (92)
Sam Lammers (97)
Vincent Janssen (93)*
Jean-Paul Boetius (93)
Rashaan Fernandes (98)
Javairo Dilrosun (98)
Anwar El Ghazi (95)
Richairo Zivkovic (96)

Bergwijn is the crown jewel of this group, but the 99s are very promising and highly regarded. Janssen is a bit funny because he's a late bloomer, but is showing a lot of really positive attributes this season (from movement, to strength, two footedness, etc.) he just lacks in pace.

10s/Attacking CMs
Abdelhak Nouri (97)
Mink Peeters (98)
Daley Sinkgraven (95)
Frenkie De Jong (97)
Tonny Vilhena (95)*
Bart Ramselaar (96)
Kenneth Paal (97)
Jari Schuurman (97)
Adam Maher (93)
Dabney dos Santos (96)

Vilhena is playing a bit deeper nowdays, so may be more of an 8 than a 10, though most Dutch teams don't play with a "10" in the normal sense since they almost all play the 4-3-3. Still Nouri is an all world talent and I expect big things from him (as does most of the Dutch football world).

CM/DMs
Donny van de Beek (97)
Carel Eiting (98)
Riechedly Bazoer (96)
Davy Klaassen (93)
Davy Propper (91)
Rodney Kongolo (98)
Marco van Ginkel (92)
Jorrit Hendrix (95)
Yassin(e) Ayoub (94)
Rewan Amin (96)

MaraDonny tops the list. He can sometimes act as a more attacking midfielder, but really he's a great all-rounder. Eiting is a really silky guy as well, and I expect he'll be quite good. I kept this group together because there's generally still quite a bit of movement, and even some of the 10s/AMs get moved further back in time with physical progression (Sinkgraven could end up more of an 8 as well). Same with the defenders which is why I kept them in the same group.

CBs/FBs
Timothy Fosu-Mensah (98)
Calvin Verdonk (97)
Jetro Willems (94)
Mathijs de Ligt (99)
Terence Kongolo (94)
Jairo Riedewald (96)
Joel Veltman (92)
Kenny Tete (95)
Wesley Hoedt (94)
Joost van Aken (94)
Jerry St. Juste (96)
Rick Karsdorp (95)
Kevin Diks (96)
Mats Knoester (98)
Julian Lelieveld (97)

Some of these I just don't really know where to rank against eachother because I find defenders a bit hard to read. It's one of those positions I find you learn a lot more as the player gets older and more experienced. Talent and physicality alone will not make a great defender. Still, this is how I see it.

I don't rate keepers for the most part. Cheers.

Juni

Mar 24, 2004
London, England
www.thechels.net
Looking forward to seeing some of those close-up in the next fortnight, Chelsea play PSV in an Under-21 game tonight and Ajax in an U19 one the week after next so there's a great opportunity to get a look.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Looking forward to seeing some of those close-up in the next fortnight, Chelsea play PSV in an Under-21 game tonight and Ajax in an U19 one the week after next so there's a great opportunity to get a look.

That'll be pretty cool. It'll be interesting to see who gets fielded for each. I can't think of a better youth midfield than Nouri-van de Beek-Eiting at any point I've watched youth soccer -- it's really impressive. Ligt is still super young but the top talent of his age group probably, and they have de Jong, Nunnely and Kluivert registered as well though less likely to play. I'm looking forward to that game.

Depending on who PSV play they have some nice players to watch also. Bergwijn is the one worth really watching, but Paal, Leemans and Lammers should all play also.

Juni

Mar 24, 2004
London, England
www.thechels.net
This is the squad they're bringing, includes Maher.

Jesse Bertrams, Luuk Koopmans, Suently Alberto, Steven Bergwijn, Aleksandar Boljevic, Laros Duarte, Albert Gudmundsson, Menno Koch, Clint Leemans, Augustine Loof, Ramon Pascal Lundqvist, Adam Maher, Kenneth Paal, Luiz Beto da Silva, Bram van Vlerken, Jordy de Wijs.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Chelsea: Beeney, Dabo (c), T.Chalobah, Conroy, Wright, Houghton, Kiwomya, Quintero, Abraham, Palmer, Mitchell.

PSV: Koopmans, Van Vlerken, Koch, De Wijs, Alberto, Leemans, Lundqvist, Paal, Bergwijn, Maher, Boljevic

Not sure about the Chelsea youth, though I've heard really good things about Chalobah and Abraham. Pretty strong team from PSV though especially since Maher has been a senior player for years already (but is a lazy sob). Still, I expect Bergwijn to be the stand out.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ousmane Dembele is nominated among the 3 finalists for Player of the Month in february. Not sure he'll beat Zlatan however but he should finish 2nd.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Did you get a chance to watch the game? I only read about it. I know a Chelsea own-goal and a Bergwijn goal put PSV through to the semis, but it sounds like PSV parked it in the second half (or just couldn't get a hold on the ball).

Juni

Mar 24, 2004
London, England
www.thechels.net
Pretty much, though I think PSV were happy to do that because Chelsea weren't able to challenge them in as many ways as they're capable of. It wasn't the strongest possible Chelsea team but that's not really the point, they had enough quality to play better than they did and PSV defended well when they had to. Menno Koch was a standout, Jody De Wijs not far behind, Paal was tidy in midfield but didn't get a lot of the ball and deferred to Maher quite a bit, and Bergwijn was sharp but too often isolated in a defence approach. Took his goal very nicely.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Evilo, do you know anything about Tim Weah at PSG? He's the son of George Weah. I think he's 15 or 16, and recently scored something crazy like five goals in a youth game. Is he usually mentioned as one of PSG's best prospects?

He plays for the USA at international level, so I'm curious how good he is.

Juni

Mar 24, 2004
London, England
www.thechels.net
He spent some time at Chelsea about two years ago, was a decent prospect but didn't end up signing. Remember him as being absolutely rapid, also watched him for the US U16s against England a coupla months back and he looked alright, has a trick to beat you one v one, plays with intelligence and has enough to develop with going forward for sure.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Evilo, do you know anything about Tim Weah at PSG? He's the son of George Weah. I think he's 15 or 16, and recently scored something crazy like five goals in a youth game. Is he usually mentioned as one of PSG's best prospects?

He plays for the USA at international level, so I'm curious how good he is.

Pretty much what Juni said. From the little time I've seen him, he seems like a very quick guy and smart guy.
He doesn't strike me as having anything close to his father's technique, but then again, who does?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->