Speculation: So who won the TDL?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You do realize there was more to the trade, right?
I do. But Mantha is a good player. That seemed lost on those rushing to crown Detroit as the winner. That Mantha trade may look bad for them in hindsight. The draft collateral surrendered by Washington wasn’t an impressive haul for Detroit. Only Vrana seems like a valuable asset.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Because the Caps traded away a pretty good young player too, and much more....
Not really much more. A low first and low 2nd aren’t amazing assets. The other guy was essentially a dump for Washington to have his cap space available. I’d call it moderately more.

tankaton has the 1st as the 30th OA pick in 2021. That’s hardly any different than a high 2nd. And the 2021 draft is weak. When the two main pieces are Vrana and the 30th OA in a lousy draft, let’s not get too excited and go overboard with unwarranted praise of Yzerman.

Reactions: banks

Nolan Giesbrecht

Jun 14, 2016
Totally agree with this post. The Jets should never of paid that price but I understand why the Bolts did. They want to repeat as a SC champion and you got to think that they will probably do it. That said I think the Jets didn't lose because they were unwilling to pay that kind of price for Savard. Some times it is the trades that you don't make that make you a winner over the long term.

Agree with this.

I appreciated that Chevy made some big trades in previous years for guys like Stastny and Hayes, both those were half year fixes.

Trading a 1st plus for Savard or other number 4 dman would have been simply a continuation of that suspect plan. If however, there was away to get a younger 1/2 dman, then I would have been excited for a bigger move. No idea if that was a possibility this year.

In the end, I’m happy Heinola and Peretti (and to a lesser extent, Samberg) are still Jets.

I think there’s a decent chance there’s a star player in one, maybe two of those players.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
Boston with Hall
Florida made some nice moves, if Bennett or Gusev cares could be good
Tampa added a good d man and Kucherov!

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Nashville is the big loser to me. They should have sold.

They didn't.
Poile has proved for a while he has no clue what he's doing anymore and a man without a plan. He's just riverboat gambling every year at this point hoping some flurry of moves instantly turns that team into cup contenders overnight

Reactions: The Macho King

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Not really much more. A low first and low 2nd aren’t amazing assets. The other guy was essentially a dump for Washington to have his cap space available. I’d call it moderately more.

tankaton has the 1st as the 30th OA pick in 2021. That’s hardly any different than a high 2nd. And the 2021 draft is weak. When the two main pieces are Vrana and the 30th OA in a lousy draft, let’s not get too excited and go overboard with unwarranted praise of Yzerman.

I dunno why people keep parroting the "2021 draft is weak" take. It's only weak at the very top with no surefire franchise player(s) available. Other than that there's just as much talent as any other draft.

Where WSH 1st is currently listed doesn't really matter, if they don't make the final 4 it could be anywhere in the 22-27 range depending how regular season standings finish up and who makes the final 4. Tons of high end talent throughout NHL history has come from late 1st and early 2nd rounds and a stockpile of picks could also be used as ammo for Wings to possibly move up fairly high to get someone their staff really likes.

Mantha is gonna be a really good player for Washington, people will finally get a better understanding why most Wings fans were really high on him and the unique size/skill blend he has. But, unless like Vrana completely flops, it's still a good trade for Detroit

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008

The other aspect of that trade is the cost certainty. Mantha is locked in to a multi year contract, whereas Vrana will be an RFA who might want a contract too rich for the Capitals blood. While both he and Panik are useful players, I can understand why they'd rather reallocate cap space to a guy like Mantha.

(I also think people are forgetting at least one piece of that deal was likely attached to Panik to clear his salary)

I tend to agree with you, think Mantha could do very well there (while Vrana might struggle on a rather inept Red Wing squad)

That said, it's good value for Detroit for sure. I just am willing to see how it plays out for the Caps

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Why is there no love for Tampa? They are the best team in hockey who added the "perfect Fit"

Who wants to play their D come the playoffs

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The best trades is the one that never happened.

Bbinz didn't give up the farm to save his job and that was the very best...non-trade.

Reactions: abo9

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Detroit and Columbus did really well value wise. I think people are second guessing Detroit's return for Mantha way too much. That was the absolute best they could get for the player he is today, and by the time he'd proved he could be the player people think he can be, having less years on his contract would have dragged value down anyway.

I feel like Toronto are a winner simply because the other Canadian teams didn't do much to address flaws. But wait and see on who wins from the buyers.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I honestly cannot understand the thought process behind saying Tampa is neutral. They addressed their biggest weakness and did it with futures that don't matter to them right now. Even if you think Savard is a scrub, they addressed a problem with some pretty impressive cap maneuvers.
I'd say backup goalie is Tampa's biggest weakness.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Why is there no love for Tampa? They are the best team in hockey who added the "perfect Fit"

Who wants to play their D come the playoffs

I think from a value scale you are probably right, but nobody likes the rich guy who buys his 5th Ferrari just like no one really cares that an already really good defending Stanley Cup Champion team added another solid piece. So you aren't going to get a lot of people voting Tampa because, frankly, they didn't need to get better. They are just being greedy now.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
My vote would be Detroit (absolute haul for Mantha, and I like Mantha), CBJ (can't really argue with adding 2 firsts) and distant 3rds that are probably ties. Can't really pick one off hand without coming off as bias but Islanders had a huge hole to fill which they did, Boston did okay as I don't think Hall will really add much there. Florida did well also. Seems a lot of teams filled holes they needed to.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Maybe another way to view this (and I apologize if any previous posters took this approach - I looked and didn't see it) is to separate the "who improved" from "how much did it cost them to improve" debates.

We can debate all day long if a team overpaid or not, but some teams overpaid knowingly and willingly (not necessarily happily) because that is what it takes to load up at the deadline. Another valid debate is how much are draft picks worth in 2021? With the Covid year in the minors, are draft picks worth less? Or more appropriately is there less variance in the value from round to round due to the "fog of Covid"?

...So, who got better for this year (WINNER 1)?

Boston
Colorado
Florida
NY Islanders
Pittsburgh
Tampa
Toronto
Washington

...and who got a good return on assets (WINNER 2)

Calgary
Columbus
Detroit
Ottawa

...and who missed out on the opportunity to improve more than they did (LOSER 1)

Carolina
Edmonton
Vegas
Winnipeg

...and who didn't get enough value on assets they had to move (LOSER 2)

Arizona
Anaheim
Buffalo
LA
New Jersey
San Jose
Vancouver

...and who was stuck in no man's land and acted that way?

Chicago
Dallas
Montreal
Minnesota
Nashville
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
St. Louis

I am curious if those are the categories and if the allocations to each were correct. I wasn't intending to categorize all 31 teams, but once I got started it seemed natural to complete it. I am sure there are arguments to be made on some or all of these assignments above.
How do you have Chicago in no mans land they traded players that had no future and got actual value.

they got Borgstrom, Hinostroza, a 2nd, Gaudette, two 4th rounders, and a 3rd rounder

for Janmark, Highmore, Carlsson, Wallmark, Bowey, and a guy on their AHL squad

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Maybe another way to view this (and I apologize if any previous posters took this approach - I looked and didn't see it) is to separate the "who improved" from "how much did it cost them to improve" debates.

We can debate all day long if a team overpaid or not, but some teams overpaid knowingly and willingly (not necessarily happily) because that is what it takes to load up at the deadline. Another valid debate is how much are draft picks worth in 2021? With the Covid year in the minors, are draft picks worth less? Or more appropriately is there less variance in the value from round to round due to the "fog of Covid"?

...So, who got better for this year (WINNER 1)?

Boston
Colorado
Florida
NY Islanders
Pittsburgh
Tampa
Toronto
Washington

...and who got a good return on assets (WINNER 2)

Calgary
Columbus
Detroit
Ottawa

...and who missed out on the opportunity to improve more than they did (LOSER 1)

Carolina
Edmonton
Vegas
Winnipeg

...and who didn't get enough value on assets they had to move (LOSER 2)

Arizona
Anaheim
Buffalo
LA
New Jersey
San Jose
Vancouver

...and who was stuck in no man's land and acted that way?

Chicago
Dallas
Montreal
Minnesota
Nashville
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
St. Louis

I am curious if those are the categories and if the allocations to each were correct. I wasn't intending to categorize all 31 teams, but once I got started it seemed natural to complete it. I am sure there are arguments to be made on some or all of these assignments above.
Pretty reasonable way to look at the overall picture. Chicago getting a 2nd + 3rd for Janmark is certainly good enough to pump them up to "Winner 2" though.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Chicago did very well. They moved
3 rentals that were signed to be traded as rentals.
A young 4th liner more suited for the AHL.
2 young Dmen I would place 8th and 12th if I was ranking Chicago’s 25 year old and under Dmen.
The gained
A bevy of good picks in 2 up in the air drafts.
A solid potential top 6 euro C finally growing into his 6’3 frame post growth spurt.
2 2nd but more likely 3rd line young offensive talents.
A solid stay at home Dman who will be a good NHLer to add to the core.

very pleased Bowman knew getting 4th place doesn’t make you a contender and stuck with the plan.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I don't know if it's winning or losing but Toronto seems to be the team who had the clearest goals going into the deadline and they also seemed to come closest to meeting those goals.

Given the changes they were able to make I'd say they're in a position to make the Stanley Cup finals.
That damn PP will be what makes or breaks this team.
They have an ok amount of games to iron it out, gel with the new guys and prep for POs.
But as it stands... if they can't be semi threatening on the PP , it'll be tough to win playoff hockey imo (teams can take liberties, without getting buried for it)

That being said I like the adds.. Express all the needs rather nicely.. in a cap strapped year, while only really losing picks (Columbus did well fyi, but keeping Robertson/Sandin/Amirov is a Damm win on its own)

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Well
Detroit won vs Carolina
Chicago won vs Columbus
Montreal won vs Toronto
Ottawa won vs Winnipeg
Colorado won vs Arizona
Las Vegas won vs LA
Anaheim won vs SJ

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Nashville is the big loser to me. They should have sold.

They didn't.

Poile has proved for a while he has no clue what he's doing anymore and a man without a plan. He's just riverboat gambling every year at this point hoping some flurry of moves instantly turns that team into cup contenders overnight

We're in a playoff spot and we've got 9 guys on IR, getting an experienced, albeit bad, NHLer for a 7th 3 years from now is fine. If he did sell what would be the point, we're too far ahead to get a top 5 pick now. With Ellis and Ekholm having more years left on their deals we can reevaluate trading them after the post-season.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
We're in a playoff spot and we've got 9 guys on IR, getting an experienced, albeit bad, NHLer for a 7th 3 years from now is fine. If he did sell what would be the point, we're too far ahead to get a top 5 pick now. With Ellis and Ekholm having more years left on their deals we can reevaluate trading them after the post-season.
the point would be to avoid the situation detroit has been the last couple years and will continue to be the next couple years. holland handing out too big of contracts (similar to poile in recent years) to middling players and holding on/being buyers for the sake of squeaking into the playoffs with no logistical shot at making any noise in the playoffs absolutely torpedoed that franchise for a decade. poile, like holland, is trying to ride on the backs of his vets into the back 9 of their career instead of starting to cut the dead weight ahead of time. duchene is 30, josi is 30, ellis is 30, johansen is about to be 29 this off-season, rinne is done.

much of that core and window is slowly shutting

nashville is on a similar path to Detroit beginning in the mid 2010s

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
the point would be to avoid the situation detroit has been the last couple years and will continue to be the next couple years. holland handing out too big of contracts (similar to poile in recent years) to middling players and holding on/being buyers for the sake of squeaking into the playoffs with no logistical shot at making any noise in the playoffs absolutely torpedoed that franchise for a decade. poile, like holland, is trying to ride on the backs of his vets into the back 9 of their career instead of starting to cut the dead weight ahead of time. duchene is 30, josi is 30, ellis is 30, johansen is about to be 29 this off-season, rinne is done.

much of that core and window is slowly shutting

nashville is on a similar path to Detroit beginning in the mid 2010s

I could see your point if we were buyers but we didn't buy.

You haven't been paying attention to our team if you still think Rinne is a core guy, Saros has been at the top of the league in save % the last little while and we have Ingram and Askarov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad