Speculation: So who won the TDL?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Capitals and Sabres are clear losers.

Detroit won a huge trade, but failed to trade like 7 UFAs for anything so I can't really call them winners.

Columbus did good, Devils did as well.

Senators and bunch of others failed to unload some good UFAs to get something in return.

Penguins and Bruins got some good value cheap.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Do you think Nashville should have...kept Subban at 9M? :huh:

Nashville won both Subban trades, I'm sorry if you don't think so.
lol ok. subban did not make nashville a better team over weber. subbans best days were in montreal and he hasn't come close to it since

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
lol ok. subban did not make nashville a better team over weber. subbans best days were in montreal and he hasn't come close to it since
Do you think Nashville wins a cup with Weber instead of Subban?

Columbus, Chicago, and NJ did very well for the sellers. Boston is the winner among the buyers.

Reactions: G Backup

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Do you think Nashville wins a cup with Weber instead of Subban?

Columbus, Chicago, and NJ did very well for the sellers. Boston is the winner among the buyers.
nope, but subban was not the reason or the lynchpin that took nashville to a cup final. they needed more than just a top pairing dman swap but I do think come cup final weber would have been more valuable to be a shutdown defender against top lines than subban was. at some point subban always tries to do too much every year in the playoffs and can't learn to stay home and play his position well. he always needs to try and do some kind of toe drag at the blue line, ill timed pinch, or spin o rama trying to exit his zone

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
He should, That is what he is paid for or has been paid for. He has been trending down since his MVP year. He is 30 years old. He may well pot 30 plus next year, but it will only be one time to get one more big contract. He is a bust.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

Detroit won a huge trade, but failed to trade like 7 UFAs for anything so I can't really call them winners.

Senators and bunch of others failed to unload some good UFAs to get something in return.

3rd + 5th for Staal was great return for a cap dump level of player.
Montour for 3rd was expected.

Only minus was trading Lazar.

The Hall situation with him blocking better trades for us and those teams going for other options left us with a chicken race vs. Boston. I'm just happy to have him off the team.

If you look at the Sabres performance right now getting rid of Staal and Hall was addition by subtraction.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I don’t know who won but I haven’t seen the Bruins play this well and all (three) guys traded for work out so immediately since...I’m not sure. I can’t recall a time it’s happened all at once like that.

they look like a completely different team with these three and still have key players shelved due to injury. If Rask gets hot and Carlo and Gryzz come back healthy they’re going to be a very tough out

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I look forward to the league doctors declaring Kucherov fit to play before the end of the regular season.
Couldn't they fit him in now if he was healthy with Stamkos out , also he is a slow starter he tends to suck the first few months

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
weber > subban eight days a week and twice on game 7s

:facepalm: Weber's play in a game 7 is literally why we moved him, it was a 0-5 loss against San Jose. It's largely regarded as the worst game of his career.
You're digging yourself deeper here man, I know you don't like Nashville or Subban but the people who watch the games know what they're talking about. We're getting off topic.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
:facepalm: Weber's play in a game 7 is literally why we moved him, it was a 0-5 loss against San Jose. It's largely regarded as the worst game of his career.
You're digging yourself deeper here man, I know you don't like Nashville or Subban but the people who watch the games know what they're talking about. We're getting off topic.
nobody is taking subban over weber. accept it, move on. there's a reason subban has never been a captain and keeps getting moved. I get you need to die on the hill of defending the predators moves, but subban has been a failed experiment they already moved on from for a very mediocre return

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
If those draft picks don't turn into something significant, then the Caps win big. Mantha is a far superior overall player to Vrana. I love Jake, he fun, fast and scores, but that's it. Mantha has already crashed the net more in 3 games than Jake did his whole career, it's just not his game. This trade is all about the next 2 or 3 years.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We will find out. Last year the Lightning were considered losers by many because of the price they paid for Goodrow and Coleman. They went on to win the cup and now are winners of that deadline as those two played a big role in that win. This year we will have to see who's moves moved the needle enough for a cup win or at least close to it. If a move got you that much closer but didn't win it then that qualifies as long as the winner if no other move moved the needle like that.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
We don't make the finals or win the Presidents trophy without Subban, remember? The year that him and Ekholm shutdown the Blackhawks and held Kane and Toews to one goal each?
How can you say that you would not win the President's Trophy with Weber? That's just speculation. I might as well say "They would have won President's Trophy and made the finals with Weber as well". Perhaps they would even have been Stanley Cup champions? Who knows.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

I didn’t necessarily like that Detroit ended up keeping a lot of their UFAs, but I also wonder if we don’t see Yzerman win a lot of trades because he’s maintained a reputation of not caving and making a deal that isn’t good for him.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

I cant speak for other teams, but the only guy worth anything that Ottawa kept was Dzingel, likely in the hopes of signing him to a show me deal.

Forsberg wouldn't have netted much, Anisimov nothing.

So...who were the guys Ottawa failed to unload?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I cant speak for other teams, but the only guy worth anything that Ottawa kept was Dzingel, likely in the hopes of signing him to a show me deal.

Forsberg wouldn't have netted much, Anisimov nothing.

So...who were the guys Ottawa failed to unload?

What was the point of trading for Dzingel and Stepan if they get nothing in return at the trade deadline?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I didn’t necessarily like that Detroit ended up keeping a lot of their UFAs, but I also wonder if we don’t see Yzerman win a lot of trades because he’s maintained a reputation of not caving and making a deal that isn’t good for him.

and part is most of their UFAs are so ridiculously overpaid and underperforming. As a Ranger fan it makes me happy they weren't able to get anything for Staal. Red Wings/Yzerman have been screwing us in trades for a while now. Maybe he wants his Hajek and Howden back?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad