Speculation: So who does Seattle flip?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
seattle picked up a ton of d's and w's and noc c's (gourde and true). some of the w's can play c, if needed. still if there were no side deals to acquire more c's, the kraken's need is quite obvious.

They can have Chris Tierney.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
sounds like a solid strategy...

Again, can't wait to see

He means they will take on guys like Tank, retain salary, and trade him for more than what they got him for. Basically using cap space to buy picks

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
Pitlick and Soucy seem like the surest bets to go. Don’t see them trading any of the few solid contributors they drafted up front.

In other words, nothing splashy will be acquired using the guys they drafted. Will come via UFA and cap deals.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I figured we would be talking about all of the top flight players who joined Seattle today as I was impressed with the quality of players available. I had a good number of the 30 picks correct but there are some real head scratchers, so i am thingking there are balancing trades to be announced yet. It will be hard to make any offers until we see the after math of those trades. I suspect that there will be some Cap dumping for picks to Seattle to fill up their team with some more talent.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Yeah Danault and Landeskog are about to get crazy offers from Seattle.

...yup,, Danault is a elite defensive #3C who's about to make more than Taylor Hall does in Boston...have fun trying to win 2-1 and 1-0 games, Seattle, cuz that's your only chance with Phil No Thrill as your #2C and Yanni Gourde as your #1C...:laugh:

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
With the amount of cap room they gave you gotta figure they have two or three cap moves coming getting extra picks and players to take a salary. And perhaps that’s why they picked so many cheaper contracts.

flip cheap contracts for salary and lots of extras.

Also, lots of extra defensemen picked. As a Sabres fan, no way Will Borgen cracks that lineup unless they move 2/3 defensemen and if sent to the minors the Sabres would likely reclaim Borgen off waivers.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Giordano 50% retained to the Rangers for 2022 2nd + Matthew Robertson + 2021 4th
Pitlick to Calgary for 2021 3rd
Blackwell to Florida for Vatrano
Cholowski to Arizona for conditional 5th becomes a 6th if he plays less than 10 NHL games
Tyler Johnson + Barre-Boulet + Gabriel Fortier for future considerations

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
That division is so bad that maybe they make the playoffs or something, but yeah Francis shit the bed bigtime.

Seems like he tried to "win" every deal and it backfired.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Friedman says Pitlick, with Calgary and Philadelphia interested.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
What? UFA contracts? You do tealize there is a whole NHL of signed contracts? Think

Like I said, I cant wait to see it
Should be a fun Summer if they real'y use that capspace to build futures and the rest of the team. I don't think any other team had a chance to do it to that extent

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am guessing we will see a few defenseman traded for picks/prospects today. Seems like Seattle loaded up with defense

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
They made a big deal with Gio being in Seattle - I think he was chosen to be their veteran leader. He could get dealt at some point but I doubt it will be immediately.

Reactions: kerrabria

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
They really have added nice pieces on D. I think they went too far with that Oleksiak extension, but Soucy, Lauzon, Dunn and Fleury are good pieces to have for years. Gio, Adam Larsson with the vet element is solid too.

I get that they can now "weaponize" the cap space for free agents, or take bribes for bad or overpaid players. But with 28 million, and assuming they want to be active players in free agency, that space is going to go quickly. I just question how much they will be able to get in returns. Teams arent going to mortgage their future to dump an Oshie, Okposo or RyJo on them. Or maybe Francis just really wants to throw his weight around in Free Agency.

You know your officially a team when HF posters trash talk your roster before you even play a game. Now Seattle fans just need to boo Gary Bettman to complete their initiation.

check that off the list. First chance they got, they went after him.

Reactions: bernmeister

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Let's assume that guys who were actually there/they put on more of a show when the pick was announced are staying. Giordano, Driedger, Tanev, Fleury, Oleksiak, Larsson, Eberle, McCann, Jarnkrok.
There's no reason for them to flip Gourde or Soucy because they're actually good and can help the team long term.
There's no reason for them to flip Lauzon, Appleton, or Vanacek because they have minimal value and have a lot of upside.

That leaves Vince Dunn, Jonas Donskoi, a couple of fourth liners, and a bunch of tweeners as what remains.
Funny enough, the Kraken have a plethora of RWs and LHD, so I'd bet that those two are the ones getting a cup a coffee.
Could see a Vatrano/Dunn swap happening, and I'm sure somebody will pay a 2nd Round pick for Donskoi.

Reactions: Erep

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think they’ll flip a lot of guys - it just might not be right away. Wait until some teams strike out in free agency and then start shopping Gio, etc.

It seems everyone expected them to try and emulate Vegas, but Vegas didn’t enter the league with 2 upcoming entry drafts with true elite talents (Wright, Bedard, Michkov). I think they tank and try to get that franchise 1C.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
That division is so bad that maybe they make the playoffs or something, but yeah Francis shit the bed bigtime.

Seems like he tried to "win" every deal and it backfired.

What I dont understand is, if teams were telling him to go screw before the draft because he was holding them hostage, why didnt he raise the white flag and say "okay, I guess that strategy failed" and not decide to just build through the BPA in the draft? Passing on some (seeming) slam dunk selections?

I guess the next few weeks are going to reveal all, but unless Francis has the mother of all river cards to play with all that cap room I'll be scratching my head at Seattle passing over some names.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Let's assume that guys who were actually there/they put on more of a show when the pick was announced are staying. Giordano, Driedger, Tanev, Fleury, Oleksiak, Larsson, Eberle, McCann, Jarnkrok.
There's no reason for them to flip Gourde or Soucy because they're actually good and can help the team long term.
There's no reason for them to flip Lauzon, Appleton, or Vanacek because they have minimal value and have a lot of upside.

That leaves Vince Dunn, Jonas Donskoi, a couple of fourth liners, and a bunch of tweeners as what remains.
Funny enough, the Kraken have a plethora of RWs and LHD, so I'd bet that those two are the ones getting a cup a coffee.
Could see a Vatrano/Dunn swap happening, and I'm sure somebody will pay a 2nd Round pick for Donskoi.

I think you keep Dunn…I feel he fits in the “solid upside” camp and they are going to need a few defenders who can move the puck and be a threat offensively. I think he’s essentially their poor man’s Theodore pick. I definitely wouldn’t deal him for Vatrano since they already have a plethora of third line wingers (including I guess Vatrano lol…we just are waiting till later today to see what that deal was).

But overall I agree.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Giordano 50% retained to the Rangers for 2022 2nd + Matthew Robertson + 2021 4th
Pitlick to Calgary for 2021 3rd
Blackwell to Florida for Vatrano
Cholowski to Arizona for conditional 5th becomes a 6th if he plays less than 10 NHL games
Tyler Johnson + Barre-Boulet + Gabriel Fortier for future considerations

they didn’t bring out Giordano on stage put a jersey on him to move him out

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig