So when are people gonna start talking about Zach Hyman?

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Leaf fans sang his praises for years, but they were called homers. When I said he should be on the Olympic team, I was laughed at.

Reactions: authentic

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
His offensive game reminds me of what Kesler was like in his prime. Not super high skill, but big, fast, strong, simple and effective .great shot, goes to the net and top of the league work ethic

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I bet you he would now cause of Mcdavid ala Kunitz but he has been a super impressive player going into the dirty areas and coming out with the puck
He is 2nd in the league in goals, he would be on the team based on his own merit, not because he plays with McDavid. You can't ice a team with 12 Stamkos'.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
What if I just dont want to talk about Hyman? Kid is a hard worker and great team mate I'll give him that.

Reactions: gary69

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Seriously? Lol. One is primarily a goal scorer, the other primarily a playmaker. Doesn't take rocket appliances to realize why his goals might have gone up in Edmonton.
It does take a rocket scientist thugh to realize why he got 47 Assists in Edmonton last season and never more than 25 playing with AM....

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
...except Hyman got the current contract because he had the chance to play with Matthews and Marner.

Seriously? Lol. One is primarily a goal scorer, the other primarily a playmaker. Doesn't take rocket appliances to realize why his goals might have gone up in Edmonton.
Rocket appliances... :laugh:

Just the visuals from that had me laughing. "Your dishes have never been so spot free with our Saturn 5 powered dry cycle!" :laugh:

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
It's relative to the team. Matthews abysmal year involves him leading his team in goal scoring. Draisaitl gets separated from McDavid and he's 11 goals back of Hyman.
This is remarkably bad analysis.

Playing less with McDavid changes his dynamic. This year he is a 100+pt centre driving his own line and still putting up 40+ goals.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Matthews is a a generational goal scorer and a very good all around player. But when it comes to setting up goals for his teammates the only comparable Mcdavid has is Gretzky.
And reigning Richard trophy winner.

Matthews is pacing to hit 68 goals this year. When McDavid decided to win a Rocket he had only 4 less goals but 40+ more assists.

That pretty much sums up the difference between these players.

Reactions: Kerberos

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Yes and Draisaitl benefits more than McDavid.

Both players without McDavid, Hyman is outplaying Draisaitl.
This thread is about celebrating Hyman not shitting on Draisaitl. It is possible to praise one player without shitting on another.

Reactions: nturn06

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Doesn't he play with McDavid like in every scenario?
About as little thought as possible went into this comment.

I’ll make a list of players who have scored 50 goals playing with McDavid:

1. Draisaitl
2. Hyman

Maybe it’s actually incredibly hard to score in the NHL with any linemate!

Reactions: gary69

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Doesn't he play with McDavid like in every scenario?
Hall, Eberle, Kassian, Pulju, Lucic and a score of others also played with McDavid and didn't come close to 50 goals.

Hyman also played with Matthews.

Playing with McDavid doesn't automatically get you 50 goals.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Oilers with 0 reason to load up their first line, just did it to try and get Hyman to 50 goals against Toronto. Especially with leafs missing Marner and Bert. Putting individual goals ahead of trying to win the game.

A Leafs fan talking about individual achievements ahead of team ones?

Hmmm.....
:sarcasm:

Reactions: Kerberos

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
About as little thought as possible went into this comment.

I’ll make a list of players who have scored 50 goals playing with McDavid:

1. Draisaitl
2. Hyman

Maybe it’s actually incredibly hard to score in the NHL with any linemate!
It was a QUESTION. It seems you are looking for that "In your face" slam dunk kind of response but this is not it. When your line mate is the best player on the planet its a discussion to be had if he is benefiting from playing with McDavid or not. Not saying Hyman is not a skilled player but if you think he is not benefiting from McDavid tremendously then you really need your head checked.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It was a QUESTION. It seems you are looking for that "In your face" slam dunk kind of response but this is not it. When your line mate is the best player on the planet its a discussion to be had if he is benefiting from playing with McDavid or not. Not saying Hyman is not a skilled player but if you think he is not benefiting from McDavid tremendously then you really need your head checked.
of course he's benefitting...who cares? Ty Rattie didn't score 50 benefitting from playing with McDavid

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016

No one thinks there's no benefit in playing with McDavid. But it's easy to pause and think for one second before posting a comment like that. Hmmm, how many players scored 50 goals next to McDavid? How many did it next to Crosby? It's not easy playing with those skilled players and it takes a special set of skills to even keep up with them. Like mentioned, several players, good ones too, have gotten the opportunity to play with the generational players without doing even close to what Hyman is doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad