So what will the Canucks look like in 2019

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
You'd be surprised how many people think we're going to start being more competitive next year, and make the playoffs in two years.

We'll be more competitive this year and will be in the running for a playoff spot. What would you do if that were to happen?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
You'd be surprised how many people think we're going to start being more competitive next year, and make the playoffs in two years.

Yeah I think we're going to be in a hole similar to the one Buffalo has been in for the last 5 years. Their management's incompetence reminds me of ours. And hell we don't have Eichel.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
We'll be more competitive this year and will be in the running for a playoff spot. What would you do if that were to happen?

Weren’t we in the running for a playoff spot last year too? And 2015-16 too?

In a 3-pt game league it’s almost impossible not to be “in the running” for 65-75 games. You have to be Colorado bad to be out of the running before Christmas.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Are you prepared to get quoted down the line when we're a bottom 5 team?

Be hard to quote him. Just about anything can be construed as “in the running”. We could be 10 points out at Game 60 and it’ll still be spun as “in the running”.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
These are pointless to do but I'll do one for fun.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Kotkaniemi-Pettersson
Granlund-Gaudette-Eriksson
Gaunce-Sutter-Virtanen

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Chatfield
Juolevi- Del Zotto

Markstrom
Demko

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Weren’t we in the running for a playoff spot last year too? And 2015-16 too?

In a 3-pt game league it’s almost impossible not to be “in the running” for 65-75 games. You have to be Colorado bad to be out of the running before Christmas.

Yeah kinda, till February and I can't remember 15-16 at the moment. We have a good chance if Dorsett stays healthy.;)

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yeah kinda, till February and I can't remember 15-16 at the moment. We have a good chance if Dorsett stays healthy.;)

Was same in 2015-16. Team was “in it” right up until the TDL when they last second decided to try to move Hamhuis. It’ll likely go the same this year too with the team within 4-8 points of a WC spot until the TDL. Unless of course Dorsett keeps up his torrid play and has 35 goals going into March. In that case I imagine we’ll have the President’s Trophy clinched and be faves to win the cup. Go Dorsie!!

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Was same in 2015-16. Team was “in it” right up until the TDL when they last second decided to try to move Hamhuis. It’ll likely go the same this year too with the team within 4-8 points of a WC spot until the TDL. Unless of course Dorsett keeps up his torrid play and has 35 goals going into March. In that case I imagine we’ll have the President’s Trophy clinched and be faves to win the cup. Go Dorsie!!

Dorsie, Sudsie and Gransie.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Assuming we are a bottom feeder, lottery pick team again this year.

• I can't predict the Aqualini's patience level with Benning - Linden is safe though.
  • The Sedins will retire - 13 minutes per game on a bad team can't be a lot of fun.
  • We will pick between 6th and 10th in the entry draft.
  • The loss of Henrik will create a massive hole at C
  • If Benning survives the post season, he will not "gift" Elias Pettersson a roster position. He will use the Sedin cap space to sign (or hopefully not trade for) a veteran 2C.
  • Assuming we trade Vanek at the TDL, Goldobin will finish the season with the Canucks and make the team out of TC.
  • Pettersson, at least initially will get veteran linemates for protection - probably Eriksson and Granlund or Dorsett.

I doubt our D changes much - short of winning the lottery and drafting Rasmus Dahlin - unless there is a big trade to acquire a 2C. In terms of guys who may be available - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins would be a great fit. He's 24, redundant and over-priced in Edmonton and will have 3 years remaining on his $6M contract. He's a perfect 2C, particularly if he has some physical protection on the wings (Virtanen). But EDM can't afford him once McDavid's contract kicks in next year (and they have to re-sign Caggiula, Strome, Nurse and Benning at a minimum next year).

I don't know what a trade for RNH would look like. They could really use a puck moving D on the back end - maybe Ben Hutton plus ??. I don't see how Tanev is a fit as they have Russel and Larsson who play a very similar game.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah I think we're going to be in a hole similar to the one Buffalo has been in for the last 5 years. Their management's incompetence reminds me of ours. And hell we don't have Eichel.

I don't think Buffalo management has necessarily been incompetent, they're just a great example that it's far easier to operate in rebuild mode than it is to transition to a good team (and probably my #1 reason why Benning needs to go asap, he can barely manage the rebuild part).

Buffalo tanked hard, made two big trades, and signed a decent 28 year old UFA top line winger. There fortunes right now wouldn't be any better if they didn't make those deals, as while the Winnipeg deal was a miss (though getting much better if Kane keeps up it and can be retained) the O'Reilly trade was a huge win.

They may have jumped the gun on those deals but I'd say the bigger issue is with guys like Ristolainen struggling to play a complete game and Sam Reinhart failing to develop as an impact player.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't think Buffalo management has necessarily been incompetent, they're just a great example that it's far easier to operate in rebuild mode than it is to transition to a good team (and probably my #1 reason why Benning needs to go asap, he can barely manage the rebuild part).

Buffalo tanked hard, made two big trades, and signed a decent 28 year old UFA top line winger. There fortunes right now wouldn't be any better if they didn't make those deals, as while the Winnipeg deal was a miss (though getting much better if Kane keeps up it and can be retained) the O'Reilly trade was a huge win.

They may have jumped the gun on those deals but I'd say the bigger issue is with guys like Ristolainen struggling to play a complete game and Sam Reinhart failing to develop as an impact player.

Agreed. I think Tim Murray's "transition" moves were pretty good. I think they misevaluated on the development of their high picks. Reinhart and Ristolainen can't be cornerstones of a contending team (at least not yet).

Whereas our high picks are worse (we don't have an Eichel, that's for sure) and I have no faith in Benning to make any decent transition moves (good lord look at the Sutter and Guddie deals).

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Lind - Tavares - Boeser
Eriksson - Horvat - Virtanen
Granlund - Pettersson - Dahlen
Gaunce - Sutter - Gadjovich
Lockwood
Archibald

Edler - Dahlin
Pouliot - Stecher
Juolevi - Gudbranson