GDT: So We're Really Doing This Huh? Devils @ Islanders, 7:30 PM, MSG/MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
This is just another frustrating morning to wake up as a Devils fan, for me it seems like every time the Hockey Gods will reward us, they slap us back down. We finally get the team playing good, reel off three straight wins and head into Boston looking confident and then BAM! We lose Hamilton, Nico and others just like that and soon after Covid once again ravishes our team and we lose more players, on top of that pucks keep hitting our players in the face and our pets heads are falling off!!

/rant

Gotta say, coming from an isles fan the DEVS are gonna be dangerous very very soon. If not this season. get back to health and let's collectively knock down those clowns from manhattan.

Camille the Eel

It's curious (correct me if I'm wrong) that all of our last three losses were game winners given up late in the third period (maybe of games we'd fought to tie too). Boston it was Pasternak with like five left. In Columbus Bjorkstrand with like five or ten left and here Barzal with five left.

The Bjorkstrand and Barzal goals were also almost identical one timers too from practically the same spot, point blank fifteen feet out in the slot on cross ice passes that made the goals look almost like power play goals.

Why don't we get to that shooting spot. Why doesn't Subban close on that shooter last night. Argh.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It's curious (correct me if I'm wrong) that all of our last three losses were game winners given up late in the third period (maybe of games we'd fought to tie too). Boston it was Pasternak with like five left. In Columbus Bjorkstrand with like five or ten left and here Barzal with five left.

The Bjorkstrand and Barzal goals were also almost identical one timers too from practically the same spot, point blank fifteen feet out in the slot on cross ice passes that made the goals look almost like power play goals.

Why don't we get to that shooting spot. Why doesn't Subban close on that shooter last night. Argh.

The Devils don't have any right-handed forwards besides Mercer, Bastian, and McLeod. Barzal isn't Subban's responsibility, he's Sharangovich's or Hughes, but they don't communicate and both of them take the same guy.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
he would be really good if he used his body and played like a power forward but he doesn't that's probably the biggest disappointment

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Jack was already engaged with Barzal when Sharangovich came in second. I don't know if Jack was right or wrong, but even if its supposed to be Sharangovich's guy he's got to read that the puck carrier is handled and go cover the other guy.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021

Sharangovich went to cover a guy who was already covered by Hughes, leaving the slot wide open for their best player to snipe one past an AHL goaltender. Late goal or not, we won't win a lot of games where we have those types of mental breakdowns.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Sharangovich went to cover a guy who was already covered by Hughes, leaving the slot wide open for their best player to snipe one past an AHL goaltender. Late goal or not, we won't win a lot of games where we have those types of mental breakdowns.

At least the team play has improved to some extent where we can complain about a few discreet plays instead of lackluster low effort performances across the board. If NJ scores on that late flurry where Graves got it behind the goalie it's a different outcome most likely. It's frustrating to lose a game like last night and the team should have scored more than two goals but given the injuries and illnesses they played hard and didn't look like lost children. I'm sure Shara and Jack will speak with a coach about cleaning up zone coverage and how to play that sort of situation so they are more organized next time. This season seems much better than last season to me even if the record isn't really better.

lucifer91

Jul 29, 2011
NJ
Gotta say, coming from an isles fan the DEVS are gonna be dangerous very very soon. If not this season. get back to health and let's collectively knock down those clowns from manhattan.

Devils will need consistent quality goaltending in order to get anywhere, and not sure Blackwood can provide that, any chance Sorokin is available :naughty:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Jack was already engaged with Barzal when Sharangovich came in second. I don't know if Jack was right or wrong, but even if its supposed to be Sharangovich's guy he's got to read that the puck carrier is handled and go cover the other guy.
We got played. It’s a common (very successful) strategy against that man coverage to weave around because young players chase puck carriers and don’t typically do a great job switching off assignments if you maneuver around like that.

The parade of odd man rushes was a worse thing.

This was from a Dec 27 Athletic article

Tying back to that transitional play, teams aren’t just gaining the zone and cycling the puck against New Jersey. Many generate their chances directly off the rush — especially when they play the Devils.
At five-on-five, the team allows the second-highest rate of slot shots against on the rush at 7.16 attempts per 60, according to Sportlogiq. Only the Montreal Canadiens concede more.

What can we learn from the Devils’ worst scoring chances against?

We’re “fire wagon” instead of “dumpster fire” so yay for that. (Lol of Dallas being the Kings of the Zone of Boredom.)

14E00ABF-3912-4B95-995C-B496CD7E31B2.jpeg

Zacha hate now seems to born of frustration, his numbers are better. It sucks he couldn’t get control of the puck with that one sweet Nico set-up.

Boqvist needs more AHL seasoning, he had some comically sad board battle losses to go with him completely submarining the Mercer line. (He chopped the legs off a McLeod line in >2 vs Columbus so this was where he had to go.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
In 34 games, Zacha has 4 goals and 4 assists for 8 points at 5-on-5 this year. Here's what the rest of the team looks like:

23: Bratt
18: Johnsson
16: Mercer
14: Hischier
13: Subban
12: Hamilton
11: Tatar
10: Hughes
9: Sharangovich, Graves
8: Severson, Zacha
7: Vesey, Siegenthaler
6: McLeod, Kuokkanen, Smith
4: Boqvist
3: Bastian
2: White
1: Holtz, Studenic

In terms of goals, he's tied with Severson with 4. Only one goal ahead of Graves, Kuokkanen, Vesey, and Bastian. Not great company.

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
So were you saying this same thing about a month ago when he had 8 goals in 17 games (essentially a 40 goal pace)? Just curious
Yes. It was very annoying to hear people say this was a player that was comparable to Jesper Bratt when that was obviously ridiculous. He’s a streaky floater that doesn’t do very much. He’s not the worst player in the world but he’ll probably provide very little value on his next contract.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Yes. It was very annoying to hear people say this was a player that was comparable to Jesper Bratt when that was obviously ridiculous. He’s a streaky floater that doesn’t do very much. He’s not the worst player in the world but he’ll probably provide very little value on his next contract.
That would depend on his contract. 3.5-4 million is about what he is worth

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That would depend on his contract. 3.5-4 million is about what he is worth
I'd only want him for that if it were short term.

I do believe he's UFA eligible in 2023, so a one year deal for that? Sure, no problem.

Multiple years? f*** that.

The last thing we need as (hopefully) start to be a cap team is Zacha on the books for $4 million a year.

Reactions: Dialamo

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I'd only want him for that if it were short term.

I do believe he's UFA eligible in 2023, so a one year deal for that? Sure, no problem.

Multiple years? f*** that.

The last thing we need as (hopefully) start to be a cap team is Zacha on the books for $4 million a year.
Even if we signed him to 3/4 years, that contract could be so easily moved that it wouldn't ever cross my mind as any sort of anchor

teams manage to move 5m+ contracts with term, Im sure if Zacha continues to stumble he could be moved with a 2nd in year two or three

I just dont see why hed accept a one year deal; if I was his agent id inform him to sit out until UFA, then try for a 2-3 year deal. If he were to get injured and play poorly again on a one year deal, hed essentially ax any chance of getting another multi-year deal

Reactions: Camille the Eel

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
So were you saying this same thing about a month ago when he had 8 goals in 17 games (essentially a 40 goal pace)? Just curious

Yes, and half of those 8 goals came in the first 5 games of the season. He has 5 goals in the 29 games since. Of his 63 career goals, 21 of them (a full third) came in a 55 game stretch between last year and the first 5 games this year, where he shot almost 18%.

Now, I don't think Zacha is as bad as his last 17 games, but I also don't think he's as good as the 55 games prior. I disagree with those that just want him gone at any cost and think he's completely useless. I think he'll still end up being a decent third liner who can fill in occasionally in a top 6 role and can play special teams. Whether that's with us or somewhere else long term remains to be seen. For now though I don't see us getting enough back to really make it worth moving him.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I would give Zacha 2 year deal, because it`s more safe for him - he never now how he can be injured\try to find his groove on more consistent basis, it`s more safe for devils - Sharkannens will sign new deal after next year, Tatar`s deal will be over. Devils don`t need such a pressure from the wing side in one post-season.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

There were definitely some disagreement in discussions where some people said Zacha’s goal scoring was probably overheated in the last season and start of this season due to his shooting percentage being so high.

The retort was that Zacha had figured out how to score; that his additional shooting rate was also leading to a higher shooting percentage; that seemed unlikely and the rest of the season seems to be showing that not to be true.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There were definitely some disagreement in discussions where some people said Zacha’s goal scoring was probably overheated in the last season and start of this season due to his shooting percentage being so high.

The retort was that Zacha had figured out how to score; that his additional shooting rate was also leading to a higher shooting percentage; that seemed unlikely and the rest of the season seems to be showing that not to be true.

Or we find out he's headed for surgery when the season winds up or his dragging himself around the ice with a painful nagging injury that won't go away without three months of rest and rehab. We have such incomplete information that it's hard to really draw big picture conclusions. I expect the team knows what is going on. If Zacha signs a one year deal to avoid arbitration for next season that will tell us what we need to know. I'd be curious if the team has reached out quietly to Bratt's agent.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey

No I definitely thought he was going to continue to shoot 18%.

And I believed he finally turned it all around because he definitely wasn't still being outscored at 5on5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad