So we all rip apart the Lucic contract. Why does Okposo not get the same treatment?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
A team with cap space can overpay a guy and it doesn't matter until it does. Marleau is a good example of this.

Since McDavid gor his raise, Lucic's contract has negatively impacted the Oilers chances of being a competitive team, more so than almost any player in the NHL. The same cannot be said for Okposo.

If they switched places, Okposo would be in the same situation as Lucic is right now IMO.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Y'all can write paragraphs to explain this but we all know the answer is simple. One plays for the Oilers.

If he played for the Leafs, it would be even worst.
I couldn't care less for either team, one way or the other. But their fans are not helping people on this thread to show any kind of sympathy. The OP asked for an explanation. You really think fans hate the Oilers that much? I kinda feel sorry for you.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
If you veer over to the Buffalo board, he does get that treatment. Oh, does he ever.

I want him bought out much more than Suckbotka.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Looch has one of the worst and most untradeable contracts in pro sports due to bonuses and the expansion draft
the expansion draft factor is blown way out of proportion.

Lucic will waive for Seattle. Not only that, did we learn from Vegas at all? The whole expansion draft factor was blown way out of proportion. This time, it will be even less major. There will be lots more players waiving than before, and almost every major bad UFA waived last time.

Not only that, the Seattle expansion actually takes the sting out of having Lucic. There is an opportunity to make a trade with Seattle to send Lucic there, much like how Vegas absorbed some high cap players.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Okpsoso was a better player than Lucic, and Lucic was clearly on a decline before his contract. Okposo has dealt with a lot of injuries and unfortunate situations since, but has still outpaced Lucic in each year of their contract so far, including a massive difference in goals (despite I believe Lucic spending some time with the best player in the world). Lucic also has a NMC and will soon have a stricter NTC, which complicates the issue for the expansion draft, trading him, or just dealing with him in general. Lucic is also a horrible person and dirty player and deserves no leeway. This outcome was obvious before Lucic signed, so Edmonton deserves no leeway. Edmonton also needs the money more.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
they both suck. Lucic has sucked for a lot longer and okposo wasnt brought in to elevate mcdavid so its not as funny.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Like people have said already, Okposo had to deal with bad injuries which have badly derailed his career. Lucic has had trouble keeping himself in shape and that is totally unprofessional.

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
Unfortunately it was the price to pay for aging forwards that summer

Okposo, Lucic, Eriksson, Ladd ... all bad contracts

But because it is the Oilers it gets more attention

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
People predicted all 4 of those contracts would eventually be bad. Okposo has been the most productive, so why is it weird that people note Lucic's contract being worse?

Lucic also has full NMC, and the Oilers need his cap space. Buffalo doesn't need Okposo's.

I applaud OP for finding a way to grind an ax with a team he doesn't like.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
many reasons. People feel bad for the Sabres more than they feel bad for the Oilers. Also Lucic is a piece of shit out on the ice so people are happy to see him struggle. Okposo has also had some horrible injury issues.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Like people have said already, Okposo had to deal with bad injuries which have badly derailed his career. Lucic has had trouble keeping himself in shape and that is totally unprofessional.

Huh?? I know there was talk of wanting him to drop some muscle in hopes of speeding him up a bit, but he's not out of shape.

I hate the meat head as much as anyone, but out of shape, he is not!

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
The Oilers are low hanging fruit for people with little creativity, that's why.

Also Lucic is hard to watch.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Y'all can write paragraphs to explain this but we all know the answer is simple. One plays for the Oilers.

If he played for the Leafs, it would be even worst.

The Oilers are low hanging fruit for people with little creativity, that's why.

Also Lucic is hard to watch.

One player plays in Canada and people love to hate on Canadian teams.

I really don't think that's the main reason. It's Lucic. He was an effective dirty goon for years, made himself hated around the league, and so people loving seeing his demise. It might get magnified a bit because it's the Oilers, but I think the main reason is it's Lucic. Put Okposo or Eriksson in his place and I just don't think there'd be the same degree of mockery. It's just a lot easier to sympathize with Okposo, a guy who had a near death experience, than it is to sympathize with Lucic, who was a dirty and dangerous player.

If you veer over to the Buffalo board, he does get that treatment. Oh, does he ever.

I want him bought out much more than Suckbotka.

Eh, I feel like most of us hate the contract but don't hate the guy or player. He's an alright bottom line guy now, but that contract is awful. Lucic seems even less effective and much more hatable, thus the often different reactions. I'd take Okposo for 1.5 mil or something. Not sure I'd take Lucic at any price.

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Are you kidding Sabre fans have been bemoaming Okposos contract since year 1. But even with the concussions Okposo has been better. Okposo had only 6 less goals then Lucic did points. That is terrible. At the very least Okposo should still score around ~15 goals this year in a bottom 6 role with maybe some PP2 time.

But Okposo sucks and hopefully is moved off the payroll soon. But Lucic is awful and will be AHL caliber probably this upcoming year.

False, Lucic was still a 1st liner in Boston and had a superb season with the Kings that year. He was better than Okposo in 15-16.

The answer to OP's question is

1. We don't really hear about Okposo, I bet most people don't even know he sucks now.
2. Lucic's style of play made people think it was a bad contract from day 1 whereas Okposo's didn't get much hype/hate.
3. Lucic plays for a team right up against the cap desperately trying to compete so it's more visible.

Last I checked 64 points>55 points. How was Lucic better that year? At least when Moron Murray gave out his 7 x 6 deal Okposo was coming off a 64 point season. Ladd, Backes, Eriksson, Lucic, Okposo. All 5 got 6 per and all 5 are garbage. Okposo might be the least sucky garbage player of the 5.

Reactions: DaveG

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Okposo is a better player with a less bad contract. Lucic, like Clarkson before him, is the perfect combination of useless + overpaid and warrants league wide jeering.

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad