So we all rip apart the Lucic contract. Why does Okposo not get the same treatment?

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Okposo suffered many debilitating concussions since signing with the Sabres. Horrible injuries. Suicidal, etc. He was a very good hockey player before those. Lucic??? He was just bad and getting worse on his last year with the Bruins. Apples and oranges.
Wasn't it one concussion? I'm not trying to downplay it by any means, but lets not act like hes the only hockey player to go through this. 65, 76, and 78 games played during his Buffalo tenure isn't that bad at all considering.

You reference his last year with Boston. Lucic then put up 55 and 50 after that with the Kings and Oilers. Pretty deserving of his $6M I'd say. Then ofcourse fell of a cliff. But Okposo gets a pass for his cliff diving because of the concussion and because the Sabres/Eichel aren't as relevant as McDavid/Oilers?

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Wasn't it one concussion? I'm not trying to downplay it by any means, but lets not act like hes the only hockey player to go through this. 65, 76, and 78 games played during his Buffalo tenure isn't that bad at all considering.

You reference his last year with Boston. Lucic then put up 55 and 50 after that with the Kings and Oilers. Pretty deserving of his $6M I'd say. Then ofcourse fell of a cliff. But Okposo gets a pass for his cliff diving because of the concussion and because the Sabres/Eichel aren't as relevant as McDavid/Oilers?
Appears you don't know much about Okposo's concussion history... You should have read about it before posting. As for Lucic, most people knew he was on a serious decline before signing this ridiculous contract, except, it seems, Chiarelli. Okposo shouldn't play hockey anymore for his own sake.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Kyle Okposo Stats and News
Milan Lucic Stats and News

Identical contracts
Same age
Production not far off

Lucic - NMC
Okposo - M-NTC (15 team no trade list)

It's an hfboards thing to do around here. People also forgot on that same day Andrew Ladd signed a 7 year deal also a bad looking contract, but it's well ignored around here.

It's just how this forum functions, and it's not surprising to me anymore.

Reactions: jw2 and MessierII

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
One was a very high profile signing, one was meh and almost immediately forgotten about.

One was signed to keep the best young player in the game safe and be the next step in bringing a long suffering franchise success, the other signed in Buffalo as part of a never ending rebuild.

It was the hype that went into it more than anything.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It is simple, Lucic is and was known as an idiot, a big idiot! Contract or not he will get hate. Okposo is nowhere in the realm of being hated like Lucic, because he hasn't acted like such an idiot as Lucic has. Also, Okposo can at least still skate, while Lucic can't.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I feel like posters are implying that there is some kind of hate for the organization that I just don't see? I'm a Sabres fan and I hate the Okposo contract. But I totally understand why Lucic was brought into Edmonton. I don't see anyone critiquing his contract suggesting that it's an ongoing Edmonton problem, though.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Okposo's experience was really horrific. The article below addresses a lot of it (unfortunately it's locked behind the Athletic pay-wall

Back from the abyss: Kyle Okposo opens up about the darkest...

He couldn’t leave a dark room, was easily confused, wasn’t interested in eating, couldn’t sleep.
“It went from 0 to 100 pretty quick,” Danielle said. “Everything spiraled.”
On his fourth straight day without sleep, Kyle asked his wife to put him in a coma.
How was she supposed to do that? He doesn’t know. He was drawing his thoughts from pitch-dark places of gasping fatigue.
“I wanted her to take me to the hospital in the morning and put me in a coma,” Kyle said. “Then, in my head, I thought, ‘Maybe I should jump out this window and go to sleep.’

Just a brief example of the sort of stuff he went through.

His contract is an albatross and I'm not sure I know any fan who is happy with his production, but beyond the medical stuff, he also carries himself like a pro and just generally comes across as a quality individual, which I think contrasts with how most fans view Lucic.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Okposo suffered many debilitating concussions since signing with the Sabres. Horrible injuries. Suicidal, etc. He was a very good hockey player before those. Lucic??? He was just bad and getting worse on his last year with the Bruins. Apples and oranges.
You could also try posting without making stuff up.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Okposo's experience was really horrific. The article below addresses a lot of it (unfortunately it's locked behind the Athletic pay-wall

Back from the abyss: Kyle Okposo opens up about the darkest...

Just a brief example of the sort of stuff he went through.

His contract is an albatross and I'm not sure I know any fan who's happy with his production, but beyond the medical stuff, he's also carries himself like a pro and just generally comes across as a quality individual, which I think contrasts with how most fans view Lucic.

Poor guy, I hope he can live a long and normal life from now on.

Jon Bonham

Jun 24, 2019
I think we all know why...but hey.

That aside, never liked the guy. Always saw him as average and over dramatic. Wouldn't be surprised to learn his personal issues were exaggerated as well.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Lucic is a very polarizing player playing for a polarizing team......

It's the perfect storm.

That and all the talk at the time from Edmonton about dynasties and "winning" the Lucic lottery probably had a lot to do with it.

Win the lottery? We sold the farm to get him! ;)
Man I wish we had Hall...

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm pretty sure that whole class gets rung thru the ringer nicely here..
Lucic, Eriksson, Ladd.. but rightfully less.. Okposo... he fell off a cliff this last yr... but he's still scoring some..

Love the oiler fans playing the pity card tho.. heh..

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I think we all know why...but hey.

That aside, never liked the guy. Always saw him as average and over dramatic. Wouldn't be surprised to learn his personal issues were exaggerated as well.

No, why? Please tell us.

I hate Okposo's contract, but I doubt he's exaggerating a trip to the ICU. Do better.

Definitely some anti-Lucic bias there, he's just kinda the placeholder joke for bad contracts- but I also feel like it was a bit more obvious that he'd fall off a cliff compared to Okposo or L. Eriksson.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
False, Lucic was still a 1st liner in Boston and had a superb season with the Kings that year. He was better than Okposo in 15-16.

The answer to OP's question is

1. We don't really hear about Okposo, I bet most people don't even know he sucks now.
2. Lucic's style of play made people think it was a bad contract from day 1 whereas Okposo's didn't get much hype/hate.
3. Lucic plays for a team right up against the cap desperately trying to compete so it's more visible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad