So we all rip apart the Lucic contract. Why does Okposo not get the same treatment?

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
IT'S BUFFALO

Nobody cares about how Buffalo is doing.

Everyone knows they have zero hope. They have been a bunch of losers, and they will be a bunch of losers. That is not going to change with the likes of Eichel and Dahlin blushing their way to a yet another disappointment of a season.

Their top players are a bunch of blushing little wimps. Nobody is expecting them to win anything. On the other hand, people looked at the Edmonton roster and saw that they at least had real hope of winning it for Canada before Chiapet destroyed it all with his trades.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Say what you want but the Oilers are a pretty well known team across canada and in some markets in the US.

....for both good and bad reasons....

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
IT'S BUFFALO

Everyone knows they have zero hope. They have been a bunch of losers, and they will be a bunch of losers. That is not going to change with the likes of Eichel and Dahlin blushing their way to a yet another disappointment of a season.

Their top players are a bunch of blushing little wimps. Nobody is expecting them to win anything. On the other hand, people looked at the Edmonton roster and saw that they at least had real hope of winning it for Canada before Chiapet destroyed it all with his trades.

..man Don Cherry sucks now.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Bahahahahahahaha........Sweet Baby Jesus.

It most certainly is not believed......it's an excuse, nothing more nothing less.

We were told over and over that his back was nothing to worry about!

"He's built like a brick **** house"!!

Everything has finally come full circle!

Yes, his congenital back disease is the reason he went from a 25 goal pace right before Christmas break to scoring, well, one goal the rest of the way.

He sucks because he is slow, has lost all confidence and has hands of stone. And to top it off he hardly even fights anymore. He was supposed to be the nuclear deterrent....but he's not even good at that anymore.

You're probably right to some degree, but you sound pretty insensitive and obviously knows very little about kyphosis. To pass it off as "nothing" is pretty ignorant. The media and his agent might soon feed us that crap about him being fine to try settle down the pitchforks but it doesn't necessarily mean it's true either.

Aside from chronic discomfort, degenerative kyphsosis can greatly limit lung expansion over time which gardually overloads the right side of the heart due to cor pulmonale. It would not shock me in the slightest if a professional athlete who pushes his cardiac output to the absolute max and plays a physical sport would have a much shorter shelf life because of it. Which could reasonably explain literally all of the problems you emphasized in your last post. In which case, I would argue he should probably go on the LTIR anyways if that's the case - for both himself and the Oilers. He obviously doesn't think that's the case.

Again, not saying the above is the case. But scoffing at something like that - especially for a professional athlete playing one of the most physical sports on the planet - is pretty short sighted at best and just plain ignorant at worst.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
My bad, I was looking at the assist line. Turns out, mistakes can be innocuous :eyeroll:
50-34-2o. The 20 season (last) is the only one where he stopped playing with RNH or CM. Obviously he doesnt deserve to, but that is why he didnt atleast hang in that 30-40 range still. Okposo this past season had pretty garbage linemates as well.

Shows that both guys likely benefited from their linemates their entire career rather that drive the line themselves.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Bahahahahahahaha........Sweet Baby Jesus.

It most certainly is not believed......it's an excuse, nothing more nothing less.

We were told over and over that his back was nothing to worry about!

"He's built like a brick **** house"!!

Everything has finally come full circle!

Yes, his congenital back disease is the reason he went from a 25 goal pace right before Christmas break to scoring, well, one goal the rest of the way.

He sucks because he is slow, has lost all confidence and has hands of stone. And to top it off he hardly even fights anymore. He was supposed to be the nuclear deterrent....but he's not even good at that anymore.
It’s 2019 he can’t just force people into fighting.

Why would you fight Lucic at this point, you’d rather he be on the ice.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
It’s 2019 he can’t just force people into fighting.

Why would you fight Lucic at this point, you’d rather he be on the ice.

Agree 100%. But I do recall more than a couple times last year where he wouldn't even engage after some cheap stuff went on. He seemed to spend most of the year pouting on the ice or on the bench.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
You're probably right to some degree, but you sound pretty insensitive and obviously knows very little about kyphosis. To pass it off as "nothing" is pretty ignorant. The media and his agent might soon feed us that crap about him being fine to try settle down the pitchforks but it doesn't necessarily mean it's true either.

Aside from chronic discomfort, degenerative kyphsosis can greatly limit lung expansion over time which gardually overloads the right side of the heart due to cor pulmonale. It would not shock me in the slightest if a professional athlete who pushes his cardiac output to the absolute max and plays a physical sport would have a much shorter shelf life because of it. Which could reasonably explain literally all of the problems you emphasized in your last post. In which case, I would argue he should probably go on the LTIR anyways if that's the case - for both himself and the Oilers. He obviously doesn't think that's the case.

Again, not saying the above is the case. But scoffing at something like that - especially for a professional athlete playing one of the most physical sports on the planet - is pretty short sighted at best and just plain ignorant at worst.

I get that I came off as insensitive.....which wasn't my intention.

I'm sympathetic to anyone who has health issues, trust me.

What I had a good laugh about was the fact that when he signed that long term contract lots of HFDoctors rolled out the back issue he has as one of the reasons the contract sucked for the Oilers. Back then HFOilMDs waxed poetically about how that was a bunch of garbage, they went on about how it was never going to be an issue and that they were getting a beast, a bull, a feared power forward.

Flash forward three years later and now were being told his back is the reason he sucks. As I said, we have come full circle.

And no, I don't think it's his back that is causing him to play like shit. If it were, I would think it would be a gradual slide into oblivion. In Lucic's case, it was literally over Christmas Break. Like he injured himself. I think it's a confidence issue. I think nothing has gone right for him the last two years and he is squeezing the stick so tight that he can't see straight.

I think he just wants out of Edmonton to try and start over, joining many others on this path.

But what the hell do I know......I'm just another HFDoc!?!?

Reactions: Dialamo and Satire

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Man hat 2016 free agency class sure produced a plethora of awful contracts. Okposo is a bad contract but he's still no Lucic thanks to Lucic beeing the only one of the bad 2016 contracts that has a NMC throughout the whole contract and another expansion draft coming up soon.

Its kind of amazing how fast most of the big free agency signings of 2016 turned bad.

MillerTime

Apr 27, 2003
Halifax
IT'S BUFFALO

Why do you keep using blushing to describe their play I've never heard that before ? Also I really hope your not an Oilers fan talking about another team being a bunch of losers?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Appears you don't know much about Okposo's concussion history... You should have read about it before posting. As for Lucic, most people knew he was on a serious decline before signing this ridiculous contract, except, it seems, Chiarelli. Okposo shouldn't play hockey anymore for his own sake.

He just hates the Sabres based on his post history, so no, I doubt he did any research before trying to hate on them more.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
IT'S BUFFALO

Hey what's your team? Cause they suck, the fans suck, the team has no hope, and everyone in that city is ugly and stupid.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Pretty simple......

Milan Lucic is a full blown douche bag.

That's where it begins and ends.

Look at Neal in Calgary, similar situation, same "under the microscope" environment, similar production. But Neal isn't a complete and utter ass hat so he gets a pass, for the most part.

The idea that Edmonton thinks they can trade the two straight up is baffling to me. I wouldn't do it if they added Pujuljarvi. Or however you spell his damned name!?!?!?

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I get that I came off as insensitive.....which wasn't my intention.

I'm sympathetic to anyone who has health issues, trust me.

What I had a good laugh about was the fact that when he signed that long term contract lots of HFDoctors rolled out the back issue he has as one of the reasons the contract sucked for the Oilers. Back then HFOilMDs waxed poetically about how that was a bunch of garbage, they went on about how it was never going to be an issue and that they were getting a beast, a bull, a feared power forward.

Flash forward three years later and now were being told his back is the reason he sucks. As I said, we have come full circle.

And no, I don't think it's his back that is causing him to play like ****. If it were, I would think it would be a gradual slide into oblivion. In Lucic's case, it was literally over Christmas Break. Like he injured himself. I think it's a confidence issue. I think nothing has gone right for him the last two years and he is squeezing the stick so tight that he can't see straight.

I think he just wants out of Edmonton to try and start over, joining many others on this path.

But what the hell do I know......I'm just another HFDoc!?!?

You are probably right about Lucic. It's hard to say what is going on with him, but I'm sure there's lots of factors to it. Either way, when the Oilers signed the contract it was a bad deal even if Lucic followed a traditional degradation curve... Now it's an absolutely horrible one.

And, yeah as someone who actually works in the medical field, I totally get where you're coming from. There's always a ton of misinformation on here and it be honest most of the stuff you see (including the Lucic stuff) we can only really file under the "we don't know for sure" folder since we have such limited info anyways. :)

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Man hat 2016 free agency class sure produced a plethora of awful contracts. Okposo is a bad contract but he's still no Lucic thanks to Lucic beeing the only one of the bad 2016 contracts that has a NMC throughout the whole contract and another expansion draft coming up soon.

Its kind of amazing how fast most of the big free agency signings of 2016 turned bad.

Loui Eriksson saw the dollar signs and stopped producing once he came to Vancouver.
Sure does not help he's been super injured most of the time and pretty much on the bottom pairing through out his tenure here...

We did not get the Dallas and to a degree, Boston version of Loui Eriksson...

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I gave 5 examples only. Obviously there are a ton more. So then its on the Sabres for playing him when they shouldn't? He'd get paid either way so its no different to him money wise. If we're saying he has life threatening head injuries, GTFO the ice!

I get it, concussions are awful, but then WHY IS HE PLAYING!? Sounds more like an excuse for crap play to me. Sorry that is insensitive, but its the truth. Get your head figured out then.

This is a clown post, you obviously have no idea what okposo went through, and you are comfortable being ignorant on the topic while still posting on it.

Well done.

Reactions: BobbyShehan

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
"Lucic??? He was just bad and getting worse on his last year with the Bruins. Apples and oranges."

Did I miss the fact where he has had 2 50+ point seasons since leaving Boston.
His last season in Boston, it was clear he had lost his edge along the ramps which used to be his main attribute. He had already lost a step or the game got faster, whichever suits you and he couldn't use his aggressiveness the way he used to. The other players now won the battle of the ramp and he couldn't get to them. So his ability to produce, mainly by getting the puck out of corners and passing it close to the net had been seriously hampered. He got 18 goals and 44 points that season and Sweeney knew exactly what he had to do with his declining 6 million dollar man and even got a first pick out of him. Lombardi got one good season out of Lucic, his UFA season, but it was clearly not a good match for the Kings as he showed even more that he was getting too slow for the game. Ended up with Carter and Toffolli on the second line and the Kings themselves were on the decline. Lombardi got fired the following year as Chiarelli banked on Lucic being able to regain his edge. Everybody knows how this ended. Starting in the 2014-15 season, a lot of people knew exactly where Lucic was heading to. It wasn't that hard to see.

Reactions: Oryxo

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Y'all can write paragraphs to explain this but we all know the answer is simple. One plays for the Oilers.

If he played for the Leafs, it would be even worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad