So Nylander and Marner have Calder potential?

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Once you play 26 games in the NHL or two years of multiple games (say 9 games one year and 11 the next) it is considered your "rookie season" and so McDavid only needs what... 5 more games for this to be cemented as his rookie year.

I think Nylander has a shot at it next year assuming he stays healthy. However, I don't think he will actually win it. The Leafs don't really have a scorer that can finish Nylanders passes which will affect his point total in the long run.

The Calder is the biggest reason I want Nylander to remain in the AHL this year (or at least until there are 25 or less games to play). But if he does not win it or even if he does not have a "terrific" year (because lets face it Leafs fans are putting a lot of pressure on this kid) Im not too worried because there are a lot of example's of players winning the award and their runner-ups have gone on to have WWAAYY better careers.

Raycroft won the Calder and Jackman/Ryder have had better careers.

Mason won the Calder Kane has done a lot more.

Myers won, but between him and Duchene/Tavares I tak one of the centers.

A lot of examples.

Wouldn't say this is true, we have an abundance of winger prospects who will be making the jump around the same time, and JVR with a secured roster spot. In addition there is a pretty good chance we end up with a winger this draft, one who will likley be on the team next year.

Fenton

Jul 17, 2005
Toronto
The Calder has to be the most overrated trophy. So many flops that have won it in the past. And considering how much flak Toronto gets for not having a Calder winner for years, they still have the most Calders of the original six.

piikerr

Jul 4, 2014
Mississauga
I'd say you're gonna have a: Matthews, Nylander, Rantanen, Laine showdown from what I can see. Probably another outlier or 2 (Gudreau, Panarin, Johnson, Gostisbehere.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad