So Nylander and Marner have Calder potential?

Leafsbeast*

They both have been talked about on about a million talk radio shows, TSN and ESPN.

Do either have what it takes to earn a Calder?

If so, next season, who would be their competition?

And, who do you like between the two of them for that trophy?

:popcorn:

ps. The last time a Leaf won the Calder for Rookie of the Year was way back in 1947.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I think they both absolutely have the potential to win it next season. Between the two of them I'd expect Nylander to have the better shot, he's more developed and has a lot of experience in pro leagues while it'll be Marner's first taste of a men's league. Biggest competition will be Auston Matthews I'd assume, Dylan Strome, and the Finns should also be in consideration. Potentially McDavid as well, which if he qualifies for next year it's as good as his.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
if McDavid doesn't win this year -

no.

and there's Matthews/Finns.
(which again if McDavid doesn't win this year and is under the games that qualify for a rookie - no).

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
To answer the title.
Of course Nylander/Marner have Calder potential.
However, they could be up against some real tough competition.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They both have been talked about on about a million talk radio shows, TSN and ESPN.

Do either have what it takes to earn a Calder?

If so, next season, who would be their competition?

And, who do you like between the two of them for that trophy?

:popcorn:

ps. The last time a Leaf won the Calder for Rookie of the Year was way back in 1947.

Wrong, 1965 Brit Selby.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sure, why not.

Why does it matter though? As long as they progress and be good player for us in the future, I doubt a trophy matters all that much.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I think they both absolutely have the potential to win it next season. Between the two of them I'd expect Nylander to have the better shot, he's more developed and has a lot of experience in pro leagues while it'll be Marner's first taste of a men's league. Biggest competition will be Auston Matthews I'd assume, Dylan Strome should also be in consideration.

Who may be here also. :naughty:

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
No, both will not get Calder. We don't have good players to surround them with.. unless....... *COUGH* 91..

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs may have 3 entries next season. If they do select Matthews, Laine or Puljujarvi they most definitely will crack the NHL roster.

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
I'd say Nylander has a shot but wouldn't be a favourite. Marner I don't think has a shot - he may not even be in the NHL imo - and if he is it won't be a prominent role. Maybe he has a shot the year after

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
It's so hard to predict Calder competition. Before this season, would anyone but the biggest of homers thought Panarin and Ghostbear would be in the race?

Likely competition is Nylander, Marner, Strome, Rantanen, Matthews, Puljujarvi, and Laine. But who knows? Maybe Ritchie comes out of nowhere and has a 65 point season for the Ducks.

KLM-Line

May 8, 2007
Munich
Nylander will have a shot if he gets topline minutes. Marner probably shouldn't be in the NHL next season. Mitch needs more seasoning before he regularly sees NHL ice. He gives me a lot of the vibe I had with Kadri early on where you could see him being a danger to himself due to lack of physical maturity and experience on the pro level among MEN. If Marner is going to have his NHL debut 2 1/2 years from now he sure as hell has a shot ...

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Yep next year we have 5 Calder contenders
Nylander
Marner
Matthews
Zaitsev
Vessey
:sarcasm:

Only problem is 3 of them aren't in our organization yet ;)

Seriously though, Nylander should contend next year. Marner likely won't if he's up next year. If he comes up in 2017-18 he would likely contend. So hard to predict though

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Winning a calder trophy or not, does not matter as long as they keep on progressing in the right direction

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad