So Nylander and Marner have Calder potential?

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Nylander was ranked the #1 prospect not in the NHL... so I think he definitely will have a good chance but it all depends how it goes... I don't lay a lot of stock into as no one should... it's a nice feather in your cap but not something that is make or break by any means..

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
It will be an interesting year with all 3 top Calder candidates on the Leafs (Mathews, nylander and Marner :)

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Once you play 26 games in the NHL or two years of multiple games (say 9 games one year and 11 the next) it is considered your "rookie season" and so McDavid only needs what... 5 more games for this to be cemented as his rookie year.

I think Nylander has a shot at it next year assuming he stays healthy. However, I don't think he will actually win it. The Leafs don't really have a scorer that can finish Nylanders passes which will affect his point total in the long run.

The Calder is the biggest reason I want Nylander to remain in the AHL this year (or at least until there are 25 or less games to play). But if he does not win it or even if he does not have a "terrific" year (because lets face it Leafs fans are putting a lot of pressure on this kid) Im not too worried because there are a lot of example's of players winning the award and their runner-ups have gone on to have WWAAYY better careers.

Raycroft won the Calder and Jackman/Ryder have had better careers.

Mason won the Calder Kane has done a lot more.

Myers won, but between him and Duchene/Tavares I tak one of the centers.

A lot of examples.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
If they both play next year, I don't think Marner has much chance, I think Nylander wins over Marner at this point.

To be honest, I have wondered if this is why they haven't pulled Nylander up as of yet. If they play him too many games he won't be eligible next year. It may sound stupid but if the team sucks again, it could give him (or them both) something to really strive for?? just a thought.

Nylander has proven he should have been called up by now.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
If they both play next year, I don't think Marner has much chance, I think Nylander wins over Marner at this point.

To be honest, I have wondered if this is why they haven't pulled Nylander up as of yet. If they play him too many games he won't be eligible next year. It may sound stupid but if the team sucks again, it could give him (or them both) something to really strive for?? just a thought.

Nylander has proven he should have been called up by now.

I have wondered this as well. I think from a entertainment stand point it makes more sense for Nylander, Brown, Kapanen, Marner, etc to show up next year as a whole unit of new generation Leafs.

However, I am a bit surprised the Leafs have not called Nylander up because with how weak this team is offensively, it would be almost impossible for Nylander to win. Especially if he only played 30 games or so.

That would eliminate him from the Calder race and it could potentially remove an extra achievement from Nylander's contract negotiation in a few years.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Most surprising part of this thread is that ESPN apparently talks about Nylander and Marner. Who woulda thunk it?

wandering goat

Oct 29, 2009
Woodstock, ON
They both absolutely have that potential. In fact, I think Nylander may be one of the frontrunners - already playing in mens leagues for over two years, a huge force in the AHL, and I'm sure he'll get great opportunities next year along, both on the powerplay and likely playing with second line level players at even strength.

Marner, while you never know, I don't believe is going to be utilized as aggressively as Nylander and my guess is he might have somewhat limited playing time, maybe between the third and fourth line to start and going higher as his play and conditioning dictate. So even with his skill, I don't think he'll have the opportunities to put up the same kind of production as Nylander.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
IMO Nylander yes, Marner no.

Nylander will be "old" for a rookie, with 3 full years of pro-hockey experience under his belt. If he starts the year with the leafs, I might actually pick him as the favourite to with the award. Especially because there's no generational level talent 18 YO coming in. Matthews should be a solid bet to win too.

Marner will be tough (never say never), just because he'll be a tweener. Would probably be able to put up Nylander-numbers with the Marlies next year, even if he's up with the leafs they'd probably send him to the WJC anyways.

Calder is tough when you have guys like Panarin coming from overseas... could we have a calder candidate in Zaitsev?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
They both have been talked about on about a million talk radio shows, TSN and ESPN.

Do either have what it takes to earn a Calder?

If so, next season, who would be their competition?

And, who do you like between the two of them for that trophy?

:popcorn:

ps. The last time a Leaf won the Calder for Rookie of the Year was way back in 1947.

Well, considering Marner has very little chance of playing in the NHL next year, I would speculate that hurts his chances at a Calder.

Nylander is already chasing the Calder in the AHL (see what I did there?)

Nylander has a shot next year but who knows what his line mates will be. Likely he starts on the 3rd line with vets plugs as line mates. Doubt he will be a Calder candidate. Slow and steady is the plan.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I'm as high on Marner as anyone, but I will be very surprised if he's in contention for the calder next year. If he makes the Leafs next year I expect him to play sheltered minutes on the third line, at least to begin with. He'll probably get ample opportunity on the power play, but I still don't think he'll make a big enough splash to win the calder given the stage he's at right now. Nylander will certainly be one of the favourites though.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Nylander will have a shot if he gets topline minutes. Marner probably shouldn't be in the NHL next season. Mitch needs more seasoning before he regularly sees NHL ice. He gives me a lot of the vibe I had with Kadri early on where you could see him being a danger to himself due to lack of physical maturity and experience on the pro level among MEN. If Marner is going to have his NHL debut 2 1/2 years from now he sure as hell has a shot ...

He gives me more of a Kane vibe than a Kadri vibe. He probably won't score 72 points in his rookie season, but 40-50 next season on Matthews wing wouldn't be out of the question for me.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
In the first Leafs rebuild I was able to follow, the Leafs had multiple Calder winners and candidates.

1958 Frank Mahovlich
1961 Dave Keon, with Bob Nevin 2nd
Carl Brewer was also second in the 1959 voting.
All ended up as key contributors. It would be great to see history repeat itself.

They were followed by:
1963 Kent Douglas
1966 Brit Selby

Neither of those two developed into long time contributors, probably a factor in the post 67 blahs.

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Winning ROTY is more about timing than talent.

Panarin might win it this year over McDavid, and its certainly not because he has greater potential.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nylander will have a outside chance to be in the running but likely finishing 5-8 in rookie scoring.

I expect Matthews to win the Calder next year.

Leafs do not have the offense support and talent for a player to run up a lot of points to receive recognition for the Calder or the rookie scoring race.

Nylander would have to have a Dylan Larkin like season to get any attention for the award.

PS. If the Leafs get a top 3 pick that player might have a better chance than Nylander or Marner.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Yep next year we have 5 Calder contenders
Nylander
Marner
Matthews
Zaitsev
Vessey
:sarcasm:

Only problem is 3 of them aren't in our organization yet ;)

Seriously though, Nylander should contend next year. Marner likely won't if he's up next year. If he comes up in 2017-18 he would likely contend. So hard to predict though

Came to post the exact same sarcastic post lol, good job.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
it really depends on the team around them and also if they are up consistently.

good chance next year's team is bound to be as bad as this one, albiet with a few more youngsters. Marner I doubt will be up next season.

I could see the leafs continuing to let the team grow a bit in the AHL versus calling everyone up.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Nylander will have a outside chance to be in the running but likely finishing 5-8 in rookie scoring.

I expect Matthews to win the Calder next year.

Leafs do not have the offense support and talent for a player to run up a lot of points to receive recognition for the Calder or the rookie scoring race.

Nylander would have to have a Dylan Larkin like season to get any attention for the award.

PS. If the Leafs get a top 3 pick that player might have a better chance than Nylander or Marner.
Nylander was a higher pick then Larkin same draft year wasn't he? im hoping he has a better rookie year then him, and think he can given the extra year of development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad