So, if Holland's actually going to sign a UFA defenseman or two...

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Don't mind signing Daley. 4 years would be a joke. 3 wouldn't be ideal but I can live with it, would prefer 1 or 2.

We need bodies. Green is most likely getting moved around the TDL, unless we're somehow in a playoff spot, I don't think Kronwall or Ericsson last 82 games and I'm not worried about blocking a Sproul or Russo. Only thing I do worry about is Jensen/Ouellet taking a seat in the press box over Kronwall/Ericsson.

Green-DeKeyser
Daley-Ouellet
Jensen/Kronwall/Ericsson

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Don't mind signing Daley. 4 years would be a joke. 3 wouldn't be ideal but I can live with it, would prefer 1 or 2.

We need bodies. Green is most likely getting moved around the TDL, unless we're somehow in a playoff spot, I don't think Kronwall or Ericsson last 82 games and I'm not worried about blocking a Sproul or Russo. Only thing I do worry about is Jensen/Ouellet taking a seat in the press box over Kronwall/Ericsson.

Green-DeKeyser
Daley-Ouellet
Jensen/Kronwall/Ericsson

Kronwall and Ericsson have missed combined 87 games per season, in last 3 seasons. You can pretty much count them together.

Daley - Green
DeKeyser - Jensen
Ouellet - Kronwall/Ericsson

Sproul is trash and Russo can go pass waivers and start from AHL. Call back when 8th defenceman is needed.

Daley also isn't the healthiest player on last seasons. Has missed ~14 games on average. There will be a need for 7-8 man group.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
No way he actually signs two....

unless he was counting Lashoff or McIlrath... who were technically free agents.

I can see one. Probably Campbell.
Daley already has his rings, so he is going to whoever gives him the cushiest deal in $$ and term.
I like him, but don't want to overpay.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I have a feeling it's going to be Campbell. I think the Wings have liked him for a while and he seems most likely to take a one-year deal so they can trade him at the deadline.

I'll be livid if the give someone like Daley more than two years.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Rebuilding has turned into: Ice a veteran team and call up the kids for a bit.

Teams that have truly rebuilded have shown trust in their development and let their kids play. The Wings let their kids play, but they still treat the team like we have Datsyuk and Z in their prime.

AKA: Bang head against the wall because it doesn't hurt yet :rant:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Rebuilding has turned into: Ice a veteran team and call up the kids for a bit.

Teams that have truly rebuilded have shown trust in their development and let their kids play. The Wings let their kids play, but they still treat the team like we have Datsyuk and Z in their prime.

Feels like rookies play 60+ games every season the past 3 or 4 years. Lots of youth on this team.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I have a feeling it's going to be Campbell. I think the Wings have liked him for a while and he seems most likely to take a one-year deal so they can trade him at the deadline.

Makes sense for Campbell too. He would be close to his hometown of Strathroy for his retirement year/s.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Daley is not enough....we need another D-man. And please not Campbell, he is 46 years old.

Daley - Shattenkirk
DeKeyser - Green
Ouellet/Jensen/Ericsson - Kronwall

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Daley is not enough....we need another D-man. And please not Campbell, he is 46 years old.

Daley - Shattenkirk
DeKeyser - Green
Ouellet/Jensen/Ericsson - Kronwall

Looking at Twitter it sounds like Daley and Detroit are super close. However, I doubt we find the cap space or anyone willing to sign here.. especially Shattenkirk.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Looking at Twitter it sounds like Daley and Detroit are super close. However, I doubt we find the cap space or anyone willing to sign here.. especially Shattenkirk.
Yeah, not a chance in hell Shattenkirk comes to Detroit.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
In theory yes, but this is a trend that will continue and will actually prolong the rebuild longer than it needs to take.

Probably, but Holland continuing to sign veterans and not sinking or swimming with the kids is why we'll most likely never bottom out. Some are happy about that, but that type of 'rebuild' never ends.
Yep. Welcome to Limbo.

41299430.jpg

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007

Green-DeKeyser
Daley-Ouellet
Jensen/Kronwall/Ericsson

If Daley does sign here I'd probably have it:

Dekeyser-Jensen
Kronwall-green
Oullette-Daley
Sproul
E-hopefully on ltir

I like it like this because it leaves a very good skater on each pair. Jensen, green, and Daley are good and mobile. And I still believe sproul has potential so I hope he stays here and gets his shot. He was phenomenal when he came in at the start of the season and that was some of the best hockey the team has played. I think it was there 6 game winning streak but that team actually looked good. They were tight on gaps, moved pucks, out played there opponent and transitioned well. If this team can transition quick with short passes they can be somewhat dangerous because they do have speed and enough scoring depth. Not elite talent but better depth than most.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Shattenkirk wasn't really a deciding factor in the playoffs last time around. So, maybe he could end up with a team that didn't make the playoffs. But, there is no point in the Wings doing big contracts at this juncture. They just have too many big needs for one any one signing to make enough of a difference.

Last edited:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

I'll be livid if the give someone like Daley more than two years.

Yeah, Campbell is definitely a Holland style signing. Will he sign a 1 year deal with a non playoff team just for a few more shekels though?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
No it's awful. It ties up cap space and prevents us from getting picks at the deadline.

1 year deals or bust.

2 years wouldn't be the end of the world. Lots of teams would prefer trading for a guy that has a year left on his deal, especially those that struggle to attract Free agents.

It depends on how much they pay him though.

Obviously a 1 year deal would be ideal, but I don't see any reason to worry about cap space unless they sign Daley to a 3 or 4 year deal. That would be disastrous.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
People are delusional if they think Daley is signing a 1 or 2 year deal as FA.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
People are delusional if they think Daley is signing a 1 or 2 year deal as FA.

Agreed. He's 33 years old so I'm guessing he's looking for at least 3 years. And in this market for defenseman it sure seems like he'll get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad