So, if Holland's actually going to sign a UFA defenseman or two...

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
McKenzie says Girardi is likely getting 3 mil plus from TB. Stevie, woof.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I figured 1.5, maybe 2. Not 3+. I know it's silly season and term is everything but all that aside, I just think it is a dumb signing.

He was scheduled to make 4m+ in NY, you expected him to take that big of a paycut? Hell, even Trevor Daley is going to get 4m+ from Detroit.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
He was scheduled to make 4m+ in NY, you expected him to take that big of a paycut? Hell, even Trevor Daley is going to get 4m+ from Detroit.

See I would think if and when you get bought out that you are just happy to get anything really

Plus you are still being paid by your former team

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
See I would think if and when you get bought out that you are just happy to get anything really

I could understand that being the norm if players represented themselves, but there's no way that agents are going to be content with 'just getting anything', particularly with defensemen being, on average, the more valuable commodity.

I'd guess that most guys who have been bought out will receive roughly 75% of their former salary from their new team (or 50%, at the very minimum, if it was a super bloated deal).

Welcome to free agency in 2017, unfortunately.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Why, I expected Girardi right in this range.

Just because somebody else is paying you doesn't mean you cut your market value. Girardi is basically in his decline on par with DeKeyser who I know has a bad contract. But we would just be bummed he was a crummy 3 million dollar d-man not nearly as concerned as the investment you have in him now. 3 Million isn't a ton for a guy you're going to march out in a top 4 role. Which is where they are going to play Girardi.

Tampa's bigger problem is I think Coburn's game has fallen off just as much as Girardi so they have two D-man in a pretty steep decline down there.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Whichever defensemen that gives us the best chance to lose. So basically any of the ones that would actually sign here.

Looks like Holland is hard at work looking for a cheap Dman. He may have found the ideal terrible candidate in local Michigan boy Luke Witkowski who scored no goals in Tampa Bay but has a claim to fame in breaking Mantha's pinky finger with his head. That should be about the straw that breaks the camel's back with the I family, i hope.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Why, I expected Girardi right in this range.

Just because somebody else is paying you doesn't mean you cut your market value. Girardi is basically in his decline on par with DeKeyser who I know has a bad contract. But we would just be bummed he was a crummy 3 million dollar d-man not nearly as concerned as the investment you have in him now. 3 Million isn't a ton for a guy you're going to march out in a top 4 role. Which is where they are going to play Girardi.

Tampa's bigger problem is I think Coburn's game has fallen off just as much as Girardi so they have two D-man in a pretty steep decline down there.

Meh

I dont like it but I guess it's the way it is

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Nice haul for the Nucks. Hopefully takes them out of the running for being the worst team in the league! :naughty:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad