OT: Snow Snow Snow...

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
This is nowhere near as bad as the massive coastal snowstorms in I believe 2010 or so (forget the date). I remember having a 30” storm and then a second 20+” storm a few days later. And then another 30” storm a few months down the road.

Monmouth County area. Just trying to rennet the date. Living through that was a nightmare. I remember head-height snow drifts!
And the first one was completely unexpected for my area at least (Brooklyn at the time). I went in to a basement lab to study for an exam while it was pouring rain, and 6 hours later I came out to 2 feet of cement snow and was like wtf is going on? Had to leave my car there and it it took me 4.5 hours to get home. Walked a mile and a half at 3am in 2 feet of that shit, and the city shut down for days because of all the cars left stranded in the streets blocking plows from doing their job.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
I had this bright idea that I could blow up the snow with fireworks. Saw on the youtube guys doing it with dynamite. Obviously don't have dynamite but I have some strong fireworks.

Although not JPP bad, it did not work sadly. Didn't get rid of the snow as I expected. I'll stick to the flamethrower and shoveling.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
This snow was perfect snowball making snow but a pain in the ass to shovel. Every time I pushed the shovel into the snow it packed itself into a perfectly solid mass of snow that was heavy and hard to lift off the ground and kept falling off the shovel. I prefer the powdery stuff.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This snow was perfect snowball making snow but a pain in the ass to shovel. Every time I pushed the shovel into the snow it packed itself into a perfectly solid mass of snow that was heavy and hard to lift off the ground and kept falling off the shovel. I prefer the powdery stuff.

You must’ve either been in an area that got sleet or you shoveled too late. Night of 2/1, the snow was pure powder. Super easy to move. We got sleet in the overnight period and it got a lot denser on 2/2.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
It was light and fluff right till the end when it turned to rain at the end.
Turned it all into concrete. If you did not stay on top of it and waited till the next day, your life was misery.
Parking is a disaster.
some streets in brooklyn have become impassible due to folks throwing all the snow back into the street

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
'93 was wild. I remember we had a big storm on a Tuesday, that Friday we had an even bigger storm.

That's the year I learned to never park your car close to the corner during a snow storm. Some clown came around the corner, lost control and slid out directly into the drivers quarter panel of my 1977 Monte Carlo. Basically totaled the car. :(

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So nothing major for Sunday? What’s the latest?
Well, looking more and more like we will be getting snow. Media is once again out to lunch :facepalm:

Still very early but it's really not out of the questions that some areas could get 6-8 more inches. Likely we might see 3-6. It's going to be a very fast moving storm (8-12 hours? But could produce very heavy snow in that time)

Again still early but everything is showing the storms shifting our way...

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
That's the year I learned to never park your car close to the corner during a snow storm. Some clown came around the corner, lost control and slid out directly into the drivers quarter panel of my 1977 Monte Carlo. Basically totaled the car. :(
The big body with the swiffle seats, or the downsized re-design?

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I think once all the totals are tallied up this storm will eclipse '96.

Parts of Brooklyn and Staten Island had much higher totals than Central Park did in 1996. Prospect Park got around 30 inches (the band continued through Sunset Park and Bay Ridge); parts of Staten Island got close to 40 inches. Don't remember exactly how much Central Park got, but it was around 20 inches or so.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
The storm that started the day after Christmas in 2010 was really bad too--along 5th Ave in Park Slope near 9th street 3 busses got stuck within two or three blocks and took several days to be removed. The R train kept running though.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
The storm that started the day after Christmas in 2010 was really bad too--along 5th Ave in Park Slope near 9th street 3 busses got stuck within two or three blocks and took several days to be removed. The R train kept running though.

There was a Rangers game December 27, 2010. I remember having to trek down to the Prospect Ave R station, instead of taking the F train in Windsor Terrace. I had to walk in the middle of the street because it was plowed. I remember getting to 6th Ave and seeing cars abandoned in the middle of the street, it was very surreal. There weren't many fans at MSG. IIRC they also had special deals for food and merch for those that showed up.

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
There was a Rangers game December 27, 2010. I remember having to trek down to the Prospect Ave R station, instead of taking the F train in Windsor Terrace. I had to walk in the middle of the street because it was plowed. I remember getting to 6th Ave and seeing cars abandoned in the middle of the street, it was very surreal. There weren't many fans at MSG. IIRC they also had special deals for food and merch for those that showed up.

I didn't go to that game (I had seasons for 15 years), but I've been to several where blizzards were just ending. That's the beauty of the NYC subway--it can run even in a huge snow storm (they do have to suspend service on the parts of lines that are above ground). In fact, it was built in part because of a devastating blizzard in March 1888 that killed hundreds of people. It started after most people got to work and by the time everyone realized how bad it was, there were whiteout conditions. Hundreds of people froze to death trying to walk home.

And the R line is the only regular line that is entirely underground. Back when it was the RR--we called it the "rarely runs" line (the NR--now the N more or less--was "never runs"). But, it does run in snowstorms, no matter how slowly.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I had tickets to that game. I blew it off.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I didn't go to that game (I had seasons for 15 years), but I've been to several where blizzards were just ending.

I had tickets to that game. I blew it off.

You missed a good game. Rangers won 7 to 2 against the Islanders.
Surprised there were a lot of fans that did show up, was hoping it would be like the 334 fan attendance the Devils had back in 87 at the Brendan Byrne Arena due to the snow storm. (Isn't 334 fans a full house for the Devils anyways. :sarcasm:)

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
You missed a good game. Rangers won 7 to 2 against the Islanders.
Surprised there were a lot of fans that did show up, was hoping it would be like the 334 fan attendance the Devils had back in 87 at the Brendan Byrne Arena due to the snow storm. (Isn't 334 fans a full house for the Devils anyways. :sarcasm:)

I remember that Devils game, they played the Oilers dynasty team that night if I'm not mistaken. I remember thinking how cool that must've been for those fans, who all sat upfront around the glass.

Reactions: JRinNYC

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Got back from Florida on Wednesday and my car had no snow on it in the Newark parking lot. I was lucky, high winds must have blowed off the snow. Damn we got a lot of snow.

Am I hearing this right more snow for Sunday?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Got back from Florida on Wednesday and my car had no snow on it in the Newark parking lot. I was lucky, high winds must have blowed off the snow. Damn we got a lot of snow.

Am I hearing this right more snow for Sunday?
Hearing 1-3 inches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad