Smurfs and Patches score! Bruins humiliated 5-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm a strong believer in 'answering the bell' when you've got the frame and strenght of a Eller. What type of message does it send to a Subban who ends up having to wash his dirty laundry by himself vs Scrubby McKenzy after a dirty hit ? That his team is made of a bunch of smurfs and sissies.

subban should never have fought that scrub.
The fn league should be doing it's job and calling every head ****ing shot.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
I'm a strong believer in 'answering the bell' when you've got the frame and strenght of a Eller. What type of message does it send to a Subban who ends up having to wash his dirty laundry by himself vs Scrubby McKenzy after a dirty hit ? That his team is made of a bunch of smurfs and sissies, that won't even dare protecting themselves nor their star players. And if I recall MT didn't go all out benching Subban or blaming him for fighting, he backed him up. Do you seriously think MT would be pissed off losing Eller (one of the least used forwards) in a fight ? What worse for Eller ? Having his ice time reduced to under 10 mins ? Or looking like a sissy who won't even drop his gloves to defend himself, turtling and begging for the refs to do something, in front of millions of viewers ? Show some cajones for sakes, hold on for dear life but at least drop 'em. *****slap Semin is now tougher than Eller.

Therrien stated after his fight against Florida that Subban needs to stay on the ice. And if I were Eller I would much rather produce offensively than get benched for fighting. Nobody cares about him turtling outside of HFBoards, apparently.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm a strong believer in 'answering the bell' when you've got the frame and strenght of a Eller. What type of message does it send to a Subban who ends up having to wash his dirty laundry by himself vs Scrubby McKenzy after a dirty hit ? That his team is made of a bunch of smurfs and sissies, that won't even dare protecting themselves nor their star players. And if I recall MT didn't go all out benching Subban or blaming him for fighting, he backed him up. Do you seriously think MT would be pissed off losing Eller (one of the least used forwards) in a fight ? What worse for Eller ? Having his ice time reduced to under 10 mins ? Or looking like a sissy who won't even drop his gloves to defend himself, turtling and begging for the refs to do something, in front of millions of viewers ? Show some cajones for sakes, hold on for dear life but at least drop 'em. *****slap Semin is now tougher than Eller.
Apples and oranges.

Subban took a bad hit and stood up for himself. Understandable.

Eller was in the midst of a 4-1 shellacking of the Bruins when some guy trying to spark his team tries to fight him. Absolutely no reason to engage with him. How can you not see the difference here?

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Apples and oranges.

Subban took a bad hit and stood up for himself. Understandable.

Eller was in the midst of a 4-1 shellacking of the Bruins when some guy trying to spark his team tries to fight him. Absolutely no reason to engage with him. How can you not see the difference here?

Hayes jumped Eller out of frustration, not to spark something for his team. Eller should've added insult to injury. Not like Hayes has a history of being a good fighter. Also, Eller held him with his gloves on, hinting that had he drop 'em he would've had the upper hand.

Anyway, it's just a personnal preference of mine. I like Eller he gives it all on the ice and he's the perfect third liner, can chip in some goals here and there and is tough to play against. I just didn't like the message he sent to his teammates. Exactly the opposite of what a guy like Mitchell sends to his teammates, Mitchell who's weaker than Eller, who will take his toll to defend his teammates. I kind of apreciate those types of players.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Therrien stated after his fight against Florida that Subban needs to stay on the ice. And if I were Eller I would much rather produce offensively than get benched for fighting. Nobody cares about him turtling outside of HFBoards, apparently.

Eller himself is probably embarassed watching the tapes. 90% of players want the fighting to stay in hockey, but for some reason you think that nobody but HFboards cares.

Go figure.

Nynja*

Eller himself is probably embarassed watching the tapes. 90% of players want the fighting to stay in hockey, but for some reason you think that nobody but HFboards cares.

Go figure.

Yes, Eller is embarrassed he refused to fight a thug who wanted to fight in a 4-1 game with 2 minutes to go in a fight that had no purpose than to rile up his neanderthal fans who were embarrassed at the effort their own team put in a game on national television.

Maybe Hayes should have put some effort into playing hockey earlier in the game so his team didnt get embarrassed in the worst beating at a winter classic ever. Eller has no business answering a pointless fight at that point of the game from someone twice his size whose posterior is sore from taking the worst beating at a winter classic.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Hayes jumped Eller out of frustration, not to spark something for his team.
Who cares why he jumped him? His team was getting it's ass kicked and he was either upset or wanted to start something... either way I couldn't care less. Makes no sense to engage with them. They do this all the time and we never engage. That's one of the reasons we always kick their ass.
Eller should've added insult to injury. Not like Hayes has a history of being a good fighter. Also, Eller held him with his gloves on, hinting that had he drop 'em he would've had the upper hand.
He did add insult to injury, he refused to fight the guy. Just like we always refuse them when they do stupid crap like this. We should've got a PP out of it. That would've added even more insult to injury.
Anyway, it's just a personnal preference of mine. I like Eller he gives it all on the ice and he's the perfect third liner, can chip in some goals here and there and is tough to play against. I just didn't like the message he sent to his teammates. Exactly the opposite of what a guy like Mitchell sends to his teammates, Mitchell who's weaker than Eller, who will take his toll to defend his teammates. I kind of apreciate those types of players.
Mitchell would've been stupid to fight at that point too.

It's one thing to back up a player. It's one thing to stand up for yourself if you've taken a cheapshot. But to fight a guy in the dying minutes of a shellacking? Why? There's absolutely zero reason to do this. All the Bruins did was humiliate themselves here. It's the same crap they always pull and we always beat their ass. So stick with the same strategy and keep on kicking.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Eller didn't have to fight but if someone is throwing punches to my face and the refs aren't doing anything I'd probably fight back.

Of course, it doesn't matter and I don't care. Eller can do what he wants. As long as he doesn't get injured and plays well between the whistles I honestly don't care.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
He had a severe jaw injury I believe from playing hockey in Russia and he is risking it to be in a fight. Even if you are being sarcastic.

It's worse. He used to fight in Russia but he had skull area damage from a sucker punch. It was reconstructed with some metal plating but he has significant risk of very serious brain damage or even death if he takes punches there.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yes, Eller is embarrassed he refused to fight a thug who wanted to fight in a 4-1 game with 2 minutes to go in a fight that had no purpose than to rile up his neanderthal fans who were embarrassed at the effort their own team put in a game on national television.

Maybe Hayes should have put some effort into playing hockey earlier in the game so his team didnt get embarrassed in the worst beating at a winter classic ever. Eller has no business answering a pointless fight at that point of the game from someone twice his size whose posterior is sore from taking the worst beating at a winter classic.

that's kind of rich for Eller who got all handsy at the 20 minute mark of the game that the caps manhandled us.

If you dont want to fight, then dont. But the idea that you can get all grabby with a guy in a scrum and keep your gloves on and that forces him to respect your reticence in a quaint little idea completely removed from reality.

if you want to send a signal to everyone else that your willingness to standup for yourself, or a teamate, is context dependent, why not just go out there and wave the white flag from the jump ?

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
that's kind of rich for Eller who got all handsy at the 20 minute mark of the game that the caps manhandled us.

If you dont want to fight, then dont. But the idea that you can get all grabby with a guy in a scrum and keep your gloves on and that forces him to respect your reticence in a quaint little idea completely removed from reality.

if you want to send a signal to everyone else that your willingness to standup for yourself, or a teamate, is context dependent, why not just go out there and wave the white flag from the jump ?
talk the talk and walk the walk
eller can only bark

Nynja*

Yeah, and what were people saying when he did that? stuff along the lines of "Big man Eller getting physical when the game is over, where was that intensity during the game"? So the haters hate when he's physical for no reason, and the haters hate when he's not physical for no reason. Haters gonna hate no matter what Eller does.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
[mod] MT said that "PK needs to stay on the ice", meaning he was NOT happy he fought.

im sure he will be ecstatic when its know that everyone can run the habs talent with impunity because no one in their right mind fears retribution from Mitchell.

you either get a guy who will stand up for his ( mostly humunculean) teamates, or you let them stand up for themselves. The third choice, no protection by proxy no response by those upon whom liberties are taken, is not a choice. If PK doesnt do anything there, whose to say that the new " line" doesnt get drawn there and everyone starts feeling froggy ?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yeah, and what were people saying when he did that? stuff along the lines of "Big man Eller getting physical when the game is over, where was that intensity during the game"? So the haters hate when he's physical for no reason, and the haters hate when he's not physical for no reason. Haters gonna hate no matter what Eller does.

if eller was really pissed ( and he initiated it with the caps) keeping your mitts velcroed to your hands is not the best way to show it.

What hayes did to eller was largely no different than what eller did to the cap with the exception that hayes ( and lets be frank here, he's in ellers weight class and has one fight this year against borokwieki where he lost, big) actually did drop the gloves.

If you dont want to engage, fine. but the notion that you can get all handsy with a guy who A) does want to fight and b) do it with impunity while keeping your mitts on, is silly.

I dont like Julien putting idiots like rinaldo out there in the dieing minutes of settled games, by all these people calling jimmy hayes a classless thug when eller did essentially the same thing last week reeks, in the foulest way, of abject homerism.

I dont want a bunch of sedin's who will just stand there and accept that liberties are being taken against them. And as eller is definately in the " beef" category compared to most of his teamates, if he won't stand up for himself, who does he think will ? The refs ? Pshaw !

Nynja*

You tell me then

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20152016/TV020519.HTM

Tinordi gets in a fight at the 12 min mark of the first period. Until that point, he had 4 shifts: 35 seconds, 45 seconds, 52 seconds, then his fourth shift of 6 seconds because it led to a fight.
He gets out of the box around the 17:30 min mark, but doesnt see the ice the rest of the period, neither does Emelin (his partner that game).

Second period he has 4 shifts: 19 seconds, 90 seconds, 10 seconds, 20 seconds.Third period he had 3 shifts: 44 sec, 44 sec, 14 sec. It very well could be due to score effects, but I'll go with benching.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
You tell me then

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20152016/TV020519.HTM

Tinordi gets in a fight at the 12 min mark of the first period. Until that point, he had 4 shifts: 35 seconds, 45 seconds, 52 seconds, then his fourth shift of 6 seconds because it led to a fight.
He gets out of the box around the 17:30 min mark, but doesnt see the ice the rest of the period, neither does Emelin (his partner that game).

Second period he has 4 shifts: 19 seconds, 90 seconds, 10 seconds, 20 seconds.Third period he had 3 shifts: 44 sec, 44 sec, 14 sec. It very well could be due to score effects, but I'll go with benching.

I'm aware of what happened to tinordi. You neglected to say why Tinordi pressed the issue knowing full well that he was punching up against a real toughie in wilson.
its because wilson took what was, at best, a questionable run at 67 and no one on the ice said peep. no one.

You want 67 standing up against wilson ? of course not no one does. But when you tell players they can't fight when liberties are taken against them and that NO ONE ELSE will fight for them, the notion that the liberties wont be taken is naieve at best.

We have a team that is extremely exploitable physically. This isn't a secret. If players like wilson ( or the ahl level guy from the sharks) think that there are no reprecussions for taking runs at talent, you think they wont ?

There was also the unproved assumption that Tinordi could have gotten really tagged in the fight with wilson and has some sort of undisclosed injury, which is why he was sat and then shipped into the pressbox for the much smaller barberio, but its more likely than not that he's been tolf not to fight and that the habs are fine with torrey Mitchell playing policeman.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
If Eller should "answer the bell" based on height and weight only so should Patches, Chucky, and Pricer.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Barnaby once turtled against Malakhov but i can't find the video.

The video of it was deleted but you can read the comment ;)

http://gamesofchess.com/237/matthew-barnaby-vs-vladimir-malakhov/
Malakhov was a lazy player, who could of been one of the great D of all time. I remember how easy he could skate. The other thing is he had a temper Larry Robinson style and if he dropped the gloves the other player found out quickly for a Russian, he can fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad