Smurfs and Patches score! Bruins humiliated 5-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
You don't need hindsight to start using your top 3 overall draft pick more than 13min per game. Therrien also decided to put a slumping DD with Patches when he was doing just fine with Plek.

DD was placed with Patches when the team was trying to find ways to score more. AG was also placed there along with others. It didn't work. It happens. After all DD has had success in the past with Patches. Is it really a stretch to think that it may have worked?

As for AG's playing time not being up where you think it should be...Maybe your right and he could play more, but then again maybe your wrong and you don't have all the info. I tend to think that the team are bringing him up slowly because maybe they know that he cant play more minuts effectively atm. I dunno really but that does'nt mean I should automatically think MT is to blame here.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
DD was placed with Patches when the team was trying to find ways to score more. AG was also placed there along with others. It didn't work. It happens. After all DD has had success in the past with Patches. Is it really a stretch to think that it may have worked?

As for AG's playing time not being up where you think it should be...Maybe your right and he could play more, but then again maybe your wrong and you don't have all the info. I tend to think that the team are bringing him up slowly because maybe they know that he cant play more minuts effectively atm. I dunno really but that does'nt mean I should automatically think MT is to blame here.

...you know, it doesn't matter how many times or in how many threads you guys keep parroting this foolishness without any explanation other than "well, they had success in the past", there was absolutely no reason to remove Pleks from Patches and put Davey there...none; Pleks and Patches were still going fine and Davey was well removed from his hot start when he was actually getting 3rd line minutes and lesser competition...and you'll still use the same lame excuse the next time Therrien decides to give his li'l Davey a bump to the 1st line for no reason other than "well, they had success in the past"...:shakehead

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Habs have little room for injuries. Seeing how much they missed Gallagher has made this obvious.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

TL'DR But the first line was enough BS that I don't need to. We had won 3 of the last 4 games(the other was OT) we were tied 1-1 in the first MAYBE the second period and Therrien moved DD to the top line. END OF STORY. We were not struggling to score, we were not losing games, the only line struggling was DD's, but sure facts don't matter.

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
...you know, it doesn't matter how many times or in how many threads you guys keep parroting this foolishness without any explanation other than "well, they had success in the past", there was absolutely no reason to remove Pleks from Patches and put Davey there...none; Pleks and Patches were still going fine and Davey was well removed from his hot start when he was actually getting 3rd line minutes and lesser competition...and you'll still use the same lame excuse the next time Therrien decides to give his li'l Davey a bump to the 1st line for no reason other than "well, they had success in the past"...:shakehead

The other reason was the team was not scoring. I dunno why you think the opposite. Just look at the stats. We played 14 games in December. We scored no more than 1 goal in 7 of those games, only 2 in 5 games and more than 2 in only 2 games. How many games in all 14 played in December was DD playing center on the first line ? I really dont know. Cant find a place that can show me that info

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

The team was doing just fine. We didn't need to move DD there. Therrien did it because he wanted to get DD going again. Except the whole team suffered the consequences.
Galchenyuk got 2 games there. Bringing him up slowly...He's averaging less ice time than last season. It's just stupid management. It's not because we don't know their reason that wtv that it makes it right.
It's his 4th season, he's not a rookie.

Bergevin said Galch might never play center again at the end of last season because he's ''weak'' down low. Then he tells us at the start of camp that he'll be at center. Did he improve his defensive game at the gym during summer time?
We drafted him as a center, we had Plek-DD-Eller as our centers at the time. There was absolutely no reason to develop him for 3 years as a winger. None.
I mean, had we brought in a guy like Staal or Getzlaf, then sure, keep him on the wing. But no, his competition was DD..
From a team point of view, who do you want as centers? Galch-plek or DD-Plek?...Answer is obvious. They messed up.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
The other reason was the team was not scoring. I dunno why you think the opposite. Just look at the stats. We played 14 games in December. We scored no more than 1 goal in 7 of those games, only 2 in 5 games and more than 2 in only 2 games. How many games in all 14 played in December was DD playing center on the first line ? I really dont know. Cant find a place that can show me that info

Instead of defending Therrien like a parrot maybe you should do a little research? We beat NYR 5-1 without Gallagher and Price. We had a couple of close games in a back to back against New Jersey winning 2-1 and losing the other 2-3. The only line that wasn't working was Desharnais and when they went -1 after the first period in Columbus that's when Therrien decided to put DD back with Patches. It was just loss after loss when MT did this and THAT is when Therrien lost the room because the players are fed up of this ********.

Plekanec and Patches were PPG while facing the other teams top lines. There was no reason to break them up. Galchenyuk was red hot scoring 5(!) goals in last 4 games but instead of giving him more minutes our coach breaks up all the lines and promotes our worst center to the first line. This is the coach you are defending? How is this NORMAL?

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
I just think that, the logical decision to make when Gallagher goes down is to replace him with a gritty winger. DSP went down. Why not try Weise or Carr there for a few games before making more drastic changes.

Also, Pacioretty and Plekanec produce better together than Pacioretty and Desharnais. So ideally you should try to keep that pair together. Obviously you want to have three scoring lines, but there are other ways to do it. I don't mind Desharnais being tried up front for a few games, but when that clearly isn't working, you should make the switch no? Byron or Flynn in the top 6 however is just straight up concerning.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I just think that, the logical decision to make when Gallagher goes down is to replace him with a gritty winger. DSP went down. Why not try Weise or Carr there for a few games before making more drastic changes.

Also, Pacioretty and Plekanec produce better together than Pacioretty and Desharnais. So ideally you should try to keep that pair together. Obviously you want to have three scoring lines, but there are other ways to do it. I don't mind Desharnais being tried up front for a few games, but when that clearly isn't working, you should make the switch no? Byron or Flynn in the top 6 however is just straight up concerning.

After splitting the game in NJ there's nothing dramatic there certainly not for a team missing two of it's best players. Therrien just doesn't have any answers when the team struggles and he will promote DD to get him going without realizing that he is actually hurting him by playing him outside of his limits. Is it too much to ask to have a coach that plays the hot hand?

If I am Galchenyuk I am seriously considering asking for a trade. He is way too talented to see his career ruined by this clown.

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
Instead of defending Therrien like a parrot maybe you should do a little research? We beat NYR 5-1 without Gallagher and Price. We had a couple of close games in a back to back against New Jersey winning 2-1 and losing the other 2-3. The only line that wasn't working was Desharnais and when they went -1 after the first period in Columbus that's when Therrien decided to put DD back with Patches. It was just loss after loss when MT did this and THAT is when Therrien lost the room because the players are fed up of this ********.

Plekanec and Patches were PPG while facing the other teams top lines. There was no reason to break them up. Galchenyuk was red hot scoring 5(!) goals in last 4 games but instead of giving him more minutes our coach breaks up all the lines and promotes our worst center to the first line. This is the coach you are defending? How is this NORMAL?

First I'm not sure he ever in fact did lose the room. That was just pure fiction fabricated by those of who look at the team through anti MT/management colored glasses.:laugh:

The facts are that the team still played hard and really tried to win. I didnt see any coasters or not many. Many games in December could of easily gone in our favour with better bounces. We played top teams with better goalies but even with that, with a few bounces going our way we could of fared better. Thats not losing the room in my eyes.

As for MT's use of DD well I cant say that I agree with it all that much in hindsight and I dont know all the reasons that could explain it but I'm not gonna hang MT cause of it. Who knows maybe it was Patches asking for the change. We all know he loves playing with DD and after all he is our captain and has had success with DD over the years and should have a say with who he plays. Maybe it was DD asking for the change in order to get his game back. Whatever. Noone actually knows except the team.

In any event we are now in 2016. Gally is back. The team won the winter clasic, and the lines are back to where they were before this mess started. Hopefully Price will return to action soon and we can get back to the play that we showed in October and November. :)

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Plekanec and Pacioretty create more offense shorthanded than Desharnais and Pacioretty do 5 on 5. The Muppet is too much of a moron, or wants his son to succeed more than the team.

Either way, don't ever do that again Michel.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Habs have little room for injuries. Seeing how much they missed Gallagher has made this obvious.

Habs need another top 6 forward, the injury to Gallagher shouldn't have killed our offense like it did. Until the Habs get another top 6 winger we aren't strong contenders.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Habs need another top 6 forward, the injury to Gallagher shouldn't have killed our offense like it did. Until the Habs get another top 6 winger we aren't strong contenders.

Galchenyuk needs help.

He's got a 3rd line C playing wing (and still trying to play center from the wing) and an undrafted rookie.

Daniels45

May 8, 2013

Yep. I think we can all agree with this at least. Anything can happen during the payoffs but for sure we would be stronger contenders with another top 6 fwd. Preferably a RW.

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
Galchenyuk needs help.

He's got a 3rd line C playing wing (and still trying to play center from the wing) and an undrafted rookie.

It is what it is unfortunately. The team doesn't have anyone remotely close to him in offensive talent to be able to truly break out. He is limited by the players on his line. Maybe once he improves as a center(lets remember this is his first year at center in the NHL)he will get more time on the first line with Patches. Could be later this year, but looking more like next year atm. He just hasn't shown that he could consistantly be better than Pleks in that position yet.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Bergevin will get us another bottom six player and MT will play him in the top six and so are the days of our lives. :sarcasm:

But seriously I just do not see a scenario where MB does not acquire a winger at the deadline. Whether it will be enough to win a SC is another story but MB has been proactive in the past. Something has to give or he will face a lot of criticism.

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
Bergevin will get us another bottom six player and MT will play him in the top six and so are the days of our lives. :sarcasm:

But seriously I just do not see a scenario where MB does not acquire a winger at the deadline. Whether it will be enough to win a SC is another story but MB has been proactive in the past. Something has to give or he will face a lot of criticism.

I agree. I think MB is always on the watch to improve his team and has said so in the past that top 6 is a priority but is not willing to sacrifice this teams future to get there.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I agree. I think MB is always on the watch to improve his team and has said so in the past that top 6 is a priority but is not willing to sacrifice this teams future to get there.

Not willing to sacrifice this teams future is not a valid excuse. Who is this teams future? Scherbak? Hudon? Andrighetto? NO! Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher. This is the teams future. This is the teams best chance to win the stanley cup and who we should be supporting NOW! Trading a late first round pick will not cripple this teams future. Management is doing a good job of that all on their own. Tinordi is in the pressbox and next year it will be Andrighetto. This team needs help NOW and if I hear another excuse coming from bergevin about how hard it is one more time then I am going straight to his house and stealing all his hair gel.

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
Not willing to sacrifice this teams future is not a valid excuse. Who is this teams future? Scherbak? Hudon? Andrighetto? NO! Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher. This is the teams future. This is the teams best chance to win the stanley cup and who we should be supporting NOW! Trading a late first round pick will not cripple this teams future. Management is doing a good job of that all on their own. Tinordi is in the pressbox and next year it will be Andrighetto. This team needs help NOW and if I hear another excuse coming from bergevin about how hard it is one more time then I am going straight to his house and stealing all his hair gel.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: What I mean by future is a core player like AG or top upcoming talent like McCarron . I dont wanna go through another panic driven, Gainyesque nightmare trade that we still haven't recovered from for a player/players that in the end might not even work out. ANother thing is I dont think we can get a top 6 RW with just prospects. Im afraid we will need to add in one of our core players.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Cap wise I think Bergy knows he needs to make moves sooner rather than later to get this team into contention since once contracts to key players run out they will want raises and then that's when things get tricky. Our core is in it's prime now, guys like Andrighetto and Hudon have talent but they are far away from sure fire impact NHLers, if they have to be moved to bring in that top 6 RW then it has to be done.

I rather win the cup and then think "what if these guys stayed in Montreal" rather than be stuck with decent players along with an aging core and still be without the Cup. Sometimes you just gotta pay up and take that chance and I am confident that Bergy or at least someone in management realizes that, if not then that raises some serious questions about management.

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
Cap wise I think Bergy knows he needs to make moves sooner rather than later to get this team into contention since once contracts to key players run out they will want raises and then that's when things get tricky. Our core is in it's prime now, guys like Andrighetto and Hudon have talent but they are far away from sure fire impact NHLers, if they have to be moved to bring in that top 6 RW then it has to be done.

I rather win the cup and then think "what if these guys stayed in Montreal" rather than be stuck with decent players along with an aging core and still be without the Cup. Sometimes you just gotta pay up and take that chance and I am confident that Bergy or at least someone in management realizes that, if not then that raises some serious questions about management.

I think Bergy cares more about this team's long term success at the top and you don't get that by liquidating your farm team to improve your chances for the Cup one year. Sure make a few trades here and there if it can improve the team but not if it means you will pay the price for years to come.

I personally don't care for the cup if that means a few years later we struggle to make the playoffs. Would rather play it safe like the Wings and Hawks. Build up your farm with excellent draft picks, develop them and go from there. That's how you stay a top team for longer than a few years.

Last edited:

Nynja*

Ask vancouver and san jose fans how they feel about their 4 years of greatness with no stanley cups to show for it

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think Bergy cares more about this team's long term success at the top and you don't get that by liquidating your farm team to improve your chances for the Cup one year. Sure make a few trades here and there if it can improve the team but not if it means you will pay the price for years to come.

I personally don't care for the cup if that means a few years later we struggle to make the playoffs. Would rather play it safe like the Red Rings and Hawks. Build up your farm with excellent draft picks, develop them and go from there. That's how you stay a top team for longer than a few years.
Cups are the measurement of success. It's what teams play for and it's what success is measured by. Do we talk about our all-time regular season record or do we talk about the 24 cups?

In a 30 team league with the parity there is - it is very hard to win a championship. Our key players are in their prime now and we've got them under contract for a couple of years before some of them might get priced out of our range. The time for us to win is now. Inuries, age and other factors impact your ability to win and you have to take advantage of it when you can. We've got a strong core and we're one big scorer away from being a cup favourite. We've got to take advantage of it now. If that means dealing some picks/prospects... so be it. The team has to do what it can to win a cup now because we may not get this chance again for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad