Smarter hockey player: Crosby vs Datsyuk

Higher hockey IQ

• Total voters

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Datsyuk was the smarter one, Crosby was better in 80% of other aspects of the sport.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Are you really going to argue that Datayuk's 57.84 xgf 07/08 to 09/10 is a big enough advantage over Crosby's 54.07 to make up for the fact that Crosby scored over half a point more per 60 over that same period?

So really Datayuk controlled chances at a 6% better rate but Crsoby produced at a 25% better rate. In the end actual results trump projected impact.

This isn't even Crosby's peak by the way. You do that and it's even more lopsided.
Pavel's SPAR and xSPAR in 07/08:

Better than anything Crosby has produced.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Well, if we're talking advanced analytics, Datsyuk’s 07/08 season was better than any Crosby has produced. In fact, I think it's better than any player has ever produced since they started recording. I know it was a few years ago, but it's possible McDavid has had a better season since.
The analytics that have consistently trailed behind Crosby's on-ice results during his 18 year career? They very clearly are failing to capture what he does on the ice. In other words, they're useless

This is not "easily" in favor of any guy. These 2 are probably the two highest IQ centers of the last 20 years. No problem with anyone choosing Crosby or Datsyuk here, but it's extremely close and to be quite honest with you I think this a legitimate 50/50 poll.
Datsyuk is not #2 lol

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The analytics that have consistently trailed behind Crosby's on-ice results during his 18 year career? They very clearly are failing to capture what he does on the ice. In other words, they're useless

Datsyuk is not #2 lol
Which other C in the past 20 years do you think was a smarter hockey player ?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Pavel's SPAR and xSPAR in 07/08:

Better than anything Crosby has produced.

And what exactly are those stats and what do they measure?

Even that nice chart posted a few pages ago had Crosby in a higher WAR percentile then Datsyuk and that was not Croaby's prime.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
This is not "easily" in favor of any guy. These 2 are probably the two highest IQ centers of the last 20 years. No problem with anyone choosing Crosby or Datsyuk here, but it's extremely close and to be quite honest with you I think this a legitimate 50/50 poll.

It's easily for me. Datsyuk was a great player and everything, but Crosby IQ is surpassed only by his willpower

Reactions: RSPens

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Tavares, Thornton

Lmao 😂 I can promise you Tavares is not a smarter hockey player than Datsyuk

Datsyuk has to be easily the most overrated player in NHL history. He does not even come close to the smarts of Crosby, like not close at all.

Funny how NHL players disagreed though. Why people pretend this is not close is really weird.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Datsyuk was much better and smarter than Bergeron, it wasn't until Dats left the league that Berg got the respect he deserved

Not to mention look at the line Bergeron plays on. Datsyuk posted better stats than him as a 36 year old with Helm and Abdelkader as linemates well after Lidstrom retired, and yes advanced stats too.

Reactions: AvroArrow

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
A lot of people in this thread seem to be confusing smarter and better.

I think it's Datsyuk by a hair, but they're two of the smartest players I've ever seen play. The idea that Crosby is worlds ahead in hockey IQ is laughable, especially when you consider the gap in ability between the two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad