Smaller Promotions Discussion (MFC, Dream, Sengoku, Invicta, ect)

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/12/21/1211938/fields-dynamite-2009-fight-card

At a presser in Tokyo, FEG have just now announced the addition of two rumored lightweight bouts to the card...

- Shinya Aoki (22-4 / DREAM LW Champion) vs. Mizuto Hirota (12-3-1 / Sengoku LW Champion)
- Tatsuya Kawajiri (25-5-2) vs. Kazunori Yokota (11-2-3)

Also, Five Ounces is reporting that a middleweight scrap between Melvin Manhoef (23-6-1) and Kazuo Misaki (22-9-2) is on, meaning Kazushi Sakuraba likely won't participate.

:thumbd: instead of Aoki/Kawajiri we get two fights no one really wants to see, I guess because they wanted to stick with the Sengoku vs DREAM theme. Aoki/Hirota is actually OK I guess, but Kawajiri/Yokota is a waste. Anyways I'm guessing the card is pretty much finalized now, all the announced fights are linked above.

Here's a preview for Super Hulk, which you should watch if only for the hilarious ref instructions at 2:45 and Bob Sapp's even more hilarious punching noise 4:00 in. Also to relive Jose Canseco getting brutally beat down, it seems it was so long ago... :o

northstarsforever

Jul 9, 2009
Plano TX by Rugby,ND
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/12/21/1211938/fields-dynamite-2009-fight-card

:thumbd: instead of Aoki/Kawajiri we get two fights no one really wants to see, I guess because they wanted to stick with the Sengoku vs DREAM theme. Aoki/Hirota is actually OK I guess, but Kawajiri/Yokota is a waste. Anyways I'm guessing the card is pretty much finalized now, all the announced fights are linked above.

Here's a preview for Super Hulk, which you should watch if only for the hilarious ref instructions at 2:45 and Bob Sapp's even more hilarious punching noise 4:00 in. Also to relive Jose Canseco getting brutally beat down, it seems it was so long ago... :o

:biglaugh::biglaugh::clap:

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Dynamite airs tonight at 3am ET/12am PT on HDNet. They added a fight between Mousasi and Gary Goodridge for those folks who didn't think Overeem/Fujita was pointless enough. That's right, Mousasi is fighting a guy who was on UFC 2.

FieLDS Dynamite!! ~The Power Of Courage 2009~
Date: December 31st, 2009
Place: Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan

K-1 MAX Fight (5×3 minutes, 1×3 ext.):
17. Masato vs. Andy Souwer

DREAM Heavyweight Fight (3×5 minutes):
16. Gegard Mousasi vs. Gary Goodridge

DREAM Vs. SRC (3×5 minutes):
15. Shinya Aoki vs. Mizuto Hirota
14. Alistair Overeem vs. Kazuyuki Fujita

SRC Heavyweight Fight (3×5 minutes):
13. Satoshi Ishii vs. Hidehiko Yoshida

DREAM Vs. SRC (3×5 minutes):
12. Norifumi “KID†Yamamoto vs. Masanori Kanehara
11. Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Kazunori Yokota
10. Hideo Tokoro vs. Kim Jong Man
9. Melvin Manhoef vs. Kazuo Misaki
8. Hayato “Mach†Sakurai vs. Akihiro Gono
7. Hiroyuki Takaya vs. Michihiro Omigawa
6. Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hiroshi Izumi

K-1 Fight (3×3 minutes):
4. Ray Sefo vs. Yosuke Nishijima

Super Hulk Tournament Final (3×5 minutes):
3. Minowaman vs. Sokoudjou

Sokoudjou over Minowaman (TKO) -- Soko's been rolled over by good opponents but short of some miracle leglock there's no way Minowa beats him.
Sefo over Nishijima (TKO) -- Nishijima is awful, and apparently asked to wear shoes which means he won't even be allowed to throw kicks in the fight? :loony:
Shibata over Izumi (Dec) -- Both guys are awful but the fight will probably be entertaining in a car-wreck kind of way
Takaya over Omigawa (KO) -- this fight should be a lot of fun, they're basically putting the two smallest, angriest men in the ring with one another. Could likely go to decision but I'll go with Takaya.
Mach over Gono (Dec) -- hopefully Mach comes out aggressively, because Gono was pretty tentative in his last fight and probably will be in this one too.
Misaki over Manhoef (sub) -- Misaki is a pretty good striker himself but there's no point in tempting fate. He has a pretty good guillotine and he should be able to find a way to snag it fairly early.
Tokoro over Kim (sub) -- Don't remember much about Jong Man Kim but I have to think this is a much better matchup for Tokoro than Sandro, who would have dominated him.
Kawajiri over Yokota (TKO) -- Yokota's not in the same league
Kanehara over Kid (Dec) -- mild upset here, I'm not overly impressed with Kanehara, whose main skill seems to be toughness/heart, but on the other hand Kid is coming off a brutal KO loss in K-1 and another loss in MMA and hasn't looked all that good since coming back. Also Kanehara looks huge compared to him. Kid could grind out a win with his wrestling but I think Kanehara will steal this one late.
Ishii over Yoshida (dec) -- not all that interested in this fight. Hopefully Ishii can end it, but Yoshida is a pretty tough guy.
Overeem over Fujita (KO) -- maybe a guillotine if he's feeling compassionate
Hirota over Aoki (TKO) -- **UPSET SPECIAL** There's gotta be at least one big upset so I'll go with this one. Hirota has pretty serious power and a good sprawl, and I think Aoki might take him lightly.
Mousasi over Goodridge (KO) -- again, maybe he'll submit him if he's nice...
Souwer over Masato (Dec) -- Got into K-1 too late to know much about the Masato/Souwer history, I gather they want to give Masato a last chance to beat Souwer before he retires (Souwer has beaten him twice before), but given that Souwer's been more active against better competition lately, I don't think it'll happen.

phew! That's a lot of fights. Can't wait for the card tonight! :yo:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Dynamite airs tonight at 3am ET/12am PT on HDNet. They added a fight between Mousasi and Gary Goodridge for those folks who didn't think Overeem/Fujita was pointless enough. That's right, Mousasi is fighting a guy who was on UFC 2.

Have they cleaned up K-1 yet? This used to be a great sport until corruption seeped in.

DeathFromAbove

Jul 17, 2006

Didn't Goodridge just lose to Overeem not that long ago too? He gets passed off from one can crusher to the next.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Souwer over Masato (Dec) -- Got into K-1 too late to know much about the Masato/Souwer history, I gather they want to give Masato a last chance to beat Souwer before he retires (Souwer has beaten him twice before), but given that Souwer's been more active against better competition lately, I don't think it'll happen.
It was initially set up to be Masato against the MAX GP winner. Masato wanted Souwer from the get go, but Petrosyan worked him over. The bout was tentatively agreed upon following the GP, but a post-fight physical revealed that Petrosyan broke his hand in the tournament. Souwer was the logical replacement given the history between he and Masato.

LiquidClown

Feb 28, 2002
Huntsville, Al
Ishii over Yoshida (dec) -- not all that interested in this fight. Hopefully Ishii can end it, but Yoshida is a pretty tough guy.

Really? I've been waiting for Ishii to make his debut forever now, I'm really psyched to see what he picked up from ATT and eXtreme Couture. Battle of the judokas!

God bless the Japanese and their freak show fights, I am surprised that Hong Man or Zulu isn't on the card as the super freak show fight. Hopefully someone will be streaming this so I can catch it.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Really? I've been waiting for Ishii to make his debut forever now, I'm really psyched to see what he picked up from ATT and eXtreme Couture. Battle of the judokas!

God bless the Japanese and their freak show fights, I am surprised that Hong Man or Zulu isn't on the card as the super freak show fight. Hopefully someone will be streaming this so I can catch it.
If we get a few sweet throws out of this one I'll be content. I'm sure they'll both be wearing gis.

At least Ishii isn't fighting a kickboxer. Antz Nansen must not have wanted to carry the extra weight. :shakehead

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site

Yeah, I think it's probably a combination of Ishii's debut being delayed so many times, plus the memory of Yoshida's putrid last fight with Kikuta. If it is entertaining I expect it'll be because Ishii mauls him, and even then it'll just be kinda sad because Yoshida's an old dude who hasn't really looked good since his fights with Wanderlei years ago. :(

The fights I'm most looking forward to are Aoki/Hirota (even though Aoki/Kawajiri would have been better), Manhoef/Misaki, Tokoro/Kim and Omigawa/Takaya.

And yeah you should be able to find streams on justin.tv or whatever if you don't get HDNet, not sure how good the quality will be though.

pox

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton
change of plans will now get to watch it live

Norifumi “KID” Yamamoto vs. Masanori Kanehara is the fight i wana watch the most

I hate Kanehara and all the love he gets from judges, I want Kid to knock his ass out

also i dont think Hirota over Aoki is much of an upset , Hirota has the skill set and agression to get it done

LiquidClown

Feb 28, 2002
Huntsville, Al
change of plans will now get to watch it live

Norifumi “KID†Yamamoto vs. Masanori Kanehara is the fight i wana watch the most

I hate Kanehara and all the love he gets from judges, I want Kid to knock his ass out

also i dont think Hirota over Aoki is much of an upset , Hirota has the skill set and agression to get it done

Might want to throw some cash down on Hirota, he's at +300 on Bodog. And if you're feeling really lucky Fujita is pulling +600 right now haha.

colonel> Yeah I hear ya, I really thought he was going to end up with the UFC oh well. Like Ensane mentioned I'll be happy if we get to see an uchi matta or two.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Sokoudjou over Minowaman (TKO) -- Soko's been rolled over by good opponents but short of some miracle leglock there's no way Minowa beats him.

Nice call dumb-ass

what a surreal end to a surreal tournament.

edit 1: The kid fighting is surprisingly entertaining. It's a little uncomfortable watching teenagers fight in front of a crowd of thousands, but they're some pretty talented teenagers.

edit 2: 2 1/2 hours in, only five fights down. There's no way I'm surviving until the end of this. I'll see how far into the DREAM vs SRC fights I can make it :-\

edit 3: Izumi is truly awful. Good lord, that GNP.

Last edited:

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
I think I'm an Aoki fan no longer. Breaking Hirota's arm with that nasty hammerlock then flipping him, and the crowd off. Kind of a joke really.

Yeah... the arm breaking thing it's like ok, maybe Hirota should have tapped earlier, but flipping the guy off when he's on the ground in agony is a ******* move. Look at Kawajiri, he schooled Yokota for 15 minutes in a fight that had just as much bad blood (might have broken his arm too, that armbar at the end was nasty), but still had the class to help him up and shake his hand afterwards.

I went to bed after Gono's entrance and just finished getting caught up today...
- Misaki/Manhoef stoppage was awful, Misaki was pulling half guard on him when the ref stopped it, clearly still defending himself. Could have easily gone the way of Manhoef/Filho if the ref had let it go on. I'm pissed because that was a solid matchup and had the potential to be a really good fight.
- Sokoudjou, man. I dunno if there's much hope for his career after that embarrassing performance. Stoppage was a bit early as well but seriously, how do you get dropped by Minowa? Not to mention he might easily have lost a decision anyways since the judges might have given the second round to Minowa based on that kneebar attempt (they score stuff like that pretty highly in Japan)
- Ishii, yikes. He wasn't Izumi-bad but he was pretty bad. And that's really bad news for Sengoku since I think they were really hitching their wagon to him. Between that and the fact that they couldn't host their own NYE show, the sun might be setting on them. :(
- Hard to believe Kid was once ranked as one of the best FWs in the world (most people had him 1-2 with Faber I think). He looks shot. I understand he's been having some personal problems so maybe it's affected him mentally.
- Omigawa and Gono both really impressed, those were tough matchups for both of them and they came out on top. I wonder if Omigawa could make a return to North America, he couldn't really cut it at LW in the UFC but the way he's improved his striking I think he could have some good fights at 145 in the WEC.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
2igi23a.jpg

real nice Aoki. looking forward to Kawajiri beating the **** out of you

Saw Jiris Tlusty

Jul 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
Yeah... the arm breaking thing it's like ok, maybe Hirota should have tapped earlier, but flipping the guy off when he's on the ground in agony is a ******* move. Look at Kawajiri, he schooled Yokota for 15 minutes in a fight that had just as much bad blood (might have broken his arm too, that armbar at the end was nasty), but still had the class to help him up and shake his hand afterwards.

Bingo. The arm breaking isn't really his fault the tap should have came much earlier, but the flipping off wasn't really warranted. I can't wait for Kawajiri to punch a hole in his face. And to think I used to be a pretty big fan.

LiquidClown

Feb 28, 2002
Huntsville, Al
Holy hell that was an awesome event. Finally just finished watching it in 720p on my 52" and that was the first time I've seen it in HD up close. WOW. I don't even know where to start 7.5 hours worth? Awesome pure awesomeness schiavello's over the top hyperbole coupled with Mayhem had me rolling on the floor with stuff like "He's been mounted more than a pommel horse" or "He's more useless than Yoshida's testicles at the moment............that was literally below the belt".

I'll be the one to defend Aoki I suppose. It's not his fault that the dude was stupid and didn't tap. Instead of losing with a not broken arm he lost with a broken arm and now can't train. Yeah way to have pride there buddy. The referee should never be allowed to officiate a match again. There is ZERO reason for something like that to happen. Call the fight and award a T-Submission. That's akin to letting a guy take point blank punches to his head with no defense just because the guy hasn't been knocked unconscious. Yeah the thing afterward was a bit over the top and not entirely professional but eh I'll let it slide, he apologized for it and he's not one to do that kind of crap anyways.

The kickboxing final was amazing. I haven't been into kickboxing since Hoost was the man but that was a damn good fight.

Ishii's debut was a huge disappointment but I'm not ready to throw in the towel in on him yet but how in the hell is that a win for Yoshida? 10-9 first round Yoshida, 9-9 second round, 10-9 round Ishii. 28-28?

I'm now a huge Jong Man Kim fan, that boy straight up has heart and soul. Wow taking the fight on something like 3 days notice and basically getting worked but never gave up, had an awesome answer for an armbar and almost knocked out Tokoro and took him all the way to the scorecard. Mad props.

Also fellas I've broken up with Natasha for now after I fell in love with Nozomi Sasaki, I had forgotten about her commentating at DREAM events.

nozomisasaki072.jpg

pox

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton
I'm now a huge Jong Man Kim fan, that boy straight up has heart and soul. Wow taking the fight on something like 3 days notice and basically getting worked but never gave up, had an awesome answer for an armbar and almost knocked out Tokoro and took him all the way to the scorecard. Mad props.

Also fellas I've broken up with Natasha for now after I fell in love with Nozomi Sasaki, I had forgotten about her commentating at DREAM events.

nozomisasaki072.jpg

Kim has wicked hart and Tokoro is aways exciting

Nozomi is a hottie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad