WWE: Smackdown LIVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Doesn't need to be a squash though. WWE is all about letting the women go...Paige/Emma is one of the better Women's matches I've seen. Could've at least let them go and build them both up.
Paige can be built up later, but right now she's not important. The point of the match is to make Emma look strong, and you do that by giving here a quick victory (not necessarily a squash, that term is over/misused).

This is how booking is meant to work. You make one wrestler look strong (Emma), so when they're beaten by the star (Becky) it's an impressive win.

If Emma and Paige had a long competitive match, it wouldn't build any one up. They makes them equal, and thus no one rises up to be beaten later. It's basically 50/50 booking, which is exactly the wrong tool to use in this situation.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
???
A longer match where they both look good makes everyone stronger
It doesn't. It makes them both look competitive with/equal to each other, there's a difference.

Emma is currently a no-body, Paige is currently meaningless/weak. By having these two come in and have a competitive match they both remain at that low level, and thus don't look like a threat to the top tier of Becky/Sasha/Charlotte.

By Emma going over quickly, it shows that she is clearly better than Paige and thus could be a challenge to the top tier.

What long matches show is that both are good performers, but that doesn't matter for kayfabe/storyline power level. We're building story strength, not performance credibility (they both already have that).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Paige used to look weak when she was champion having longer matches with the likes of Aksana.

The Canadian Dream

Sep 21, 2015
Please just pleaaaaase. Don't let AJ hair Styles speak...eeeeever...eeeeeveeeer.

I just can't....just can't. His die hard fans can try to defend his mic work as much as they want but it's still horrible. I can get behind AJ anytime in ring and that is a good thing but anytime I hear him speak It does nothing to hype or sell a match. Something needs to be done with that and getting him into a stable even if its a Bullet Clubs spin off would fix that issue. Or just let his work in ring do the talking.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why does he need to be in a heel stable and have someone talk for him when he's done perfectly fine not talking much and getting over as one of the top faces even though he's only been around 2 1/2 months and only ever fought Jericho?

The Canadian Dream

Sep 21, 2015
Why does he need to be in a heel stable and have someone talk for him when he's done perfectly fine not talking much and getting over as one of the top faces even though he's only been around 2 1/2 months and only ever fought Jericho?

Because not everyone can carry AJ Hair Styles on the mic and in a promo like Jericho did. Eventually, like right now, he is going to go into programs with other guys that can't work a mic or a promo. Fans like myself like good promo battles and the hype and build it brings to a match. Flame away at "fans like myself" for enjoying wrestlers who can cut good promos and who have good charisma but we are out there in huge numbers.

We like AJ and respect him but we also want more because we have low attention spans. I have no interest in this AJ/Reigns match. These two together can't build a bigger story that captivates me because neither can sell me on promos. The story behind this match is one the smark fans created because they don't like Reigns and it's trendy to boo him and they love AJ because he is AJ. That's not a story line between two guys in wrestling that's a story line of the fans and it's getting boring.

I'll ask the opposite what would it hurt AJ to be in a stable again that can hide some of his flaws and make him even better? And who said anything about that stable having to be heel? I only mentioned the Bullet Club because it's the easy to go to example right now. Any spin off of it, if they it down the road, would be a face stable anyways if AJ were to join it. I will agree a stable doesn't have to be built now but down the road I think it needs to be done.

The Canadian Dream

Sep 21, 2015
Wait. Who tries to defend AJ's mic work?

So many of his die hard fans. I hear it all the time. You all on this board may be smarter than that but those who think AJ is good on the mic are out there. Even when they say "he has become better" is an abrupt lie as he never has. It's not about his accent either I rather like his accent and it makes him more genuine. It's flat out how he delivers lines. And yes that is part creatives fault for feeding him such fluff. Even the best hollywood actor couldn't get that garbage over.

The Canadian Dream

Sep 21, 2015
Wait. Who tries to defend AJ's mic work?

So many of his die hard fans. I hear it all the time. You all on this board may be smarter than that but those who think AJ is good on the mic are out there. Even when they say "he has become better" is an abrupt lie as he never has. It's not about his accent either I rather like his accent and it makes him more genuine. It's flat out how he delivers lines. And yes that is part creatives fault for feeding him such fluff. Even the best hollywood actor couldn't get that garbage over.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Because not everyone can carry AJ Hair Styles on the mic and in a promo like Jericho did. Eventually, like right now, he is going to go into programs with other guys that can't work a mic or a promo. Fans like myself like good promo battles and the hype and build it brings to a match. Flame away at "fans like myself" for enjoying wrestlers who can cut good promos and who have good charisma but we are out there in huge numbers.

We like AJ and respect him but we also want more because we have low attention spans. I have no interest in this AJ/Reigns match. These two together can't build a bigger story that captivates me because neither can sell me on promos. The story behind this match is one the smark fans created because they don't like Reigns and it's trendy to boo him and they love AJ because he is AJ. That's not a story line between two guys in wrestling that's a story line of the fans and it's getting boring.

I'll ask the opposite what would it hurt AJ to be in a stable again that can hide some of his flaws and make him even better? And who said anything about that stable having to be heel? I only mentioned the Bullet Club because it's the easy to go to example right now. Any spin off of it, if they it down the road, would be a face stable anyways if AJ were to join it. I will agree a stable doesn't have to be built now but down the road I think it needs to be done.

I'm fairly certain the story behind this match is that Reigns more or less issued an open challenge, it was answered by many people, and AJ won the ensuing #1 contenders match.

Sometimes there is no real reason why the guy is challenging other than he's the #1 contender.

Go back to the 90s and you see this a lot. Two guys who are near the top of the card have a match on PPV and it's announced that the winner of the match will face the champion at the next PPV. Or it's flat out called a #1 Contender's Match.

That was a staple of the early IYH story telling. Sometimes there wasn't even a match guys were just 'named' #1 contender out of the blue.

AJ may not be the greatest on the mic (He's certainly better than Reigns though), but sometimes you don't need to be.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I'm not mortally against AJ being in a heel stable, if there's going to be a Bullet Club reformation, or whatever, but his face run has to run its course first. And there's really a lot of reasons for it:

1) He is over.

2) He is main eventing shows because people want to see him.

3) He is selling a ton of merch (since people want to see him).

4) He is putting on great matches.

5) The company can't get their #1 face over, and are in desperate need of a face who is. And from most accounts they are surprised by how over AJ is. Vince is too out of touch to know who and who is not over when it comes to guys who aren't on the roster.

6) There's frankly not enough credible heels (left) for him to be in a faction with.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I watched this last night solely for the Enzo & Cass match and my god are the piped in/cheers boos more painful now than ever.

Might as well just shoot it in an empty arena with hologram fans.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I'm not mortally against AJ being in a heel stable, if there's going to be a Bullet Club reformation, or whatever, but his face run has to run its course first. And there's really a lot of reasons for it:

1) He is over.

5) The company can't get their #1 face over, and are in desperate need of a face who is. And from most accounts they are surprised by how over AJ is. Vince is too out of touch to know who and who is not over when it comes to guys who aren't on the roster.

6) There's frankly not enough credible heels (left) for him to be in a faction with.

I guess I'm by myself over here, but I don't want to see him. (AJ)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

1) He is over.

I think you hit the nail on why AJ should stay face and solo for now.

I think bullet club just works better as Finn's call up gimmick.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
* WWE Intercontinental Champion The Miz and Maryse kick off SmackDown with MizTV in the ring. We see Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson attacking Roman Reigns on RAW. Guest AJ Styles comes out and says he had nothing to do with it. This leads to Styles vs. Miz being announced for tonight

* Also taking place will be Dean Ambrose and Sami Zayn vs. Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens

* Ryback defeated WWE United States Champion Kalisto in a non-title match

* Dolph Ziggler vs. Baron Corbin never happens as Corbin beats Ziggler down outside of the ring and hits End of Days

* AJ Styles defeated The Miz in a good match. Miz tried to leave at one point but Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson stopped him. This led to AJ getting the win. AJ had a staredown with Gallows and Anderson after the match

* The Miz remains in the ring for a dark segment. He wants his loss investigated and he's not happy about how he's being treated. Shane McMahon interrupts to a huge pop. Miz demands that Shane put him at the top of his list and starts poking him around. Shane fires back, beats Miz up and sends him flying from the ring

* Backstage segment with Gallows and Anderson. They say they're just making an impact, not joining up with Styles. They will debut against The Usos on RAW

* Paige and Natalya defeated Tamina Snuka and Naomi with double Sharpshooters. Paige got a huge pop

* R-Truth defeated Fandango with Goldust as special referee. They danced after the match

* Enzo Amore and Colin Cassady come out for promos in the ring. The Vaudevillains interrupt from the stage and they have words about their tournament finals match at Payback. All four were said to be very good here

* A video for Primo and Epico aired

* Shane announces via video that Corbin vs. Ziggler and Styles vs. Alberto Del Rio will take place after the tapings as dark matches

* Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens defeated Sami Zayn and Dean Ambrose in the main event, said to be a very good match

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The US Title is what I point to when people say we should bring back the Cruiserweight Title.

While there's definitely smoke around the brand split fire, I'm still skeptical that it will happen, and I don't want it to happen. I kind of see/wish a rotation where the wrestlers work 3 out of the 4 live shows in a rotation over 2 weeks. So you'd work 2 Raws and 1 Smackdown or 1 Raw and 2 Smackdowns over a 2-week period. Although I'm sure if we go back and look, we'll see some similar patterns.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
The US Title is what I point to when people say we should bring back the Cruiserweight Title.

Since Cena had it, the US Title has fallen back down to "TV Title" status. though I wouldn't compare it to the Cruiserweight just because Kalisto has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad