Slovan Bratislava 2015/2016

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
you can't have it all and for free.

Well, there goes another strawman. I've just explicitly said it's not about getting anything "for free". It's about adjusting the ticket price so that it's acceptable to the Slovan fanbase at large. Judging by the backlash, that may not have happened this time around.

As for your theories on Slovak economics, they are completely faulted.
I'm not aware of having posted any "economic theories" :amazed: here, just a few facts.

I agree we should move on from this topic, and Slovan should try and get Sabolic from Sparta to join Ticar & Jeglic! Although their chemistry with Šťastný has been very good, it would likely be even better with Sabolic. Šťastný might then be used to revive the third line. Overall, the emergence of both Šťastný and Viedenský has been among the nicest surprises for Slovan this season, and a major reason why they made the play-offs. As to losing key players for next season, there is every reason to fear the loss of Barker and Kašpar, too, isn't there?

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
You don't really understand them. When an average person in Finland earns as much in a month as an average Slovak person earns in 3, 4, or 5 months, no comparisons of ticket prices are really possible.

Yes I do. It was intended to be somewhat of a reply to the poster who claimed that those are the most expensive tickets in the league.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Do you know if Ticar and Jeglic have contracts also for next season ? I fear they will be in demand when transfer window opens.

I am repeating myself but i am so glad they're doing that well, i remember people expect them to be 3rd or 4th line grinders, hope they both stay in Bratislava.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
If there is someone I really miss and whose release was a huge mistake, it is Bakoš. He's doing quite well in the first team of Czech league and he was absolutely reliable just as Šťastný was (is), playing together in 4th line then. I believe he might do well in 3rd or 4th line also now (next season). Him and Sabolič would be great boosts. Then I can think of Réway and Graňák.

URNA

Sep 9, 2014
Slovan should try and get Sabolic from Sparta to join Ticar & Jeglic! Although their chemistry with Å ťastný has been very good, it would likely be even better with Sabolic. Å ťastný might then be used to revive the third line. Overall, the emergence of both Å ťastný and Viedenský has been among the nicest surprises for Slovan this season, and a major reason why they made the play-offs. As to losing key players for next season, there is every reason to fear the loss of Barker and KaÅ¡par, too, isn't there?[/QUOTE]

Viedensky acceleration is not the best but he's big, reads game well, has good hands. He deserves to be on the first line. I also think Stastny is doing great and he blends with Ticar and Jeglic really well. Both Ticar and Jeglic are fantastic but particularly Jeglic is not really strong and I think Stastny adds the power and aggression to the line. Sabolic I never seen playing but since Ticar-Jeglic-Stastny work so well together I wouldn't like to see them split. I agree Kaspar and Barker will likely move to better paying clubs.

URNA

Sep 9, 2014
If there is someone I really miss and whose release was a huge mistake, it is BakoÅ¡. He's doing quite well in the first team of Czech league and he was absolutely reliable just as Å ťastný was (is), playing together in 4th line then. I believe he might do well in 3rd or 4th line also now (next season). Him and Sabolič would be great boosts. Then I can think of Réway and Graňák.

My opinion: Bakos is a good player but I don't think he's better than any forward currently on the team. Stastny as I just wrote is doing great this season, still young and improving and should stay with Ticar and Jeglic.
Reway is great talent with beautiful skating and his passing is unbelievable. He would be great on power plays. But he needs to improve defensively, rethink his working ethics and fix his lifestyle. He will try to make it to NHL but for this he first must become fitter and stronger. If he won't make to NHL I think Slovan will try to sign him. Actually Riha looks like the right coach for him :laugh:
Granak I'm not sure. He is past his best but he was coming back from injuries this season and I haven't seen him playing lately so difficult to say at what level he can play next season.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Maybe we should really have a topic for KHL economics because I've seen and took part in many many discussions about this thing. Sooner or later, everything comes down to money. So, I guess I am very late for the party but still there is something I am wondering...

Last year or the one before, I remember finding a play-off ticket for around 40 Turkish liras for an Avangard game, which is around 12€. Let's make it 20€ as our economy wasn't that bad two or three years ago, same goes for Russia as well.

Now, you guys speak of 40 or 50€ being quite acceptable prices for play-off, with which I agree... However, I just can't understand: how can there be such big gaps in ticket prices? Jokerit sells tickets for, let's say, 60€ and Avangard as a better team does it for 20€ or so? How is this league supposed to be balanced then?

Even though I am very very skeptical and pessimistic about it, I'd like to see a Ukrainian team in KHL soon. Just think about it; things would get even messier. I guess, you could find a whole arena for 100€ to yourself. When the economy differs so much, how do you keep the league and teams balanced? Simply, you don't? :laugh:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
However, I just can't understand: how can there be such big gaps in ticket prices? Jokerit sells tickets for, let's say, 60€ and Avangard as a better team does it for 20€ or so? How is this league supposed to be balanced then?

Because Jokerit will have always full arena. Ok, to some level.
In Omsk not. The fans there are looking for every Euro (Rubel). And behing this team is a very rich sponsor. So they will have lower ticket price and therefore more fans.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Maybe we should really have a topic for KHL economics because I've seen and took part in many many discussions about this thing. Sooner or later, everything comes down to money. So, I guess I am very late for the party but still there is something I am wondering...
Bad idea, in order for you to have an economics forum you'd need the participants to have more than grade school level reading comprehension and the ability to identify the argument being made and it seems not all (or really all but one) have demonstrated that capability. End of day like URNA said if the stadium is sold out the price point obviously isn't too high.

URNA

Sep 9, 2014
I am repeating myself but i am so glad they're doing that well, i remember people expect them to be 3rd or 4th line grinders, hope they both stay in Bratislava.

Consider both players also improved during the three seasons with Slovan. Ticar (btw scored twice against France yesterday) will only turn 27 this year. I really like both of them, not only are they great players but they seem to have strong characters too. They are working hard and are very reliable. I also appreciate the way they behaved during the last season when the club got into financial problems and wasn't paying salaries.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
you'd need the participants to have more than grade school level reading comprehension and the ability to identify the argument being made and it seems not all (or really all but one) have demonstrated that capability.

Plus, they would have to read HFBoards rules that prohibit personal attacks, but as you say, most folks can't read beyond grade-school level, so let's forget it, right? :shakehead

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Bad idea, in order for you to have an economics forum you'd need the participants to have more than grade school level reading comprehension and the ability to identify the argument being made and it seems not all (or really all but one) have demonstrated that capability. End of day like URNA said if the stadium is sold out the price point obviously isn't too high.

Well, we are not talking about hockey here day and night because we are hockey experts... Forums are to exchange ideas and opinions.

Moreover, I don't see anything wrong with what URNA said. It's supply and demand; you do not have to include Slovak history or the wage of a pensioner to make things complicated. When you can fill an arena with tickets at 80€ then it means this is the optimal value for that arena & team. It does NOT mean that a your average Slovakian can pay 80€ for an ice hockey game; it simply means the ticket price is OK for the team and sorry but this is what clubs care about, not your personal joy. This is how capitalism work. If you wish to buy a high quality product, then you are supposed to pay a big sum.

Not everyone who would like to see a hockey game can do so, especially when we are talking about play-off. There is no dream land like this, unfortunately. I wish there was, though... You know, a place where there is no class difference and almost everybody can afford anything. But hey, tell this to people from ex-Soviet countries and see which they believe is the best. :sarcasm:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I don't think it's necessarily black-or-white – extortionate capitalism on the one hand, and Soviet bankrupt Communism on the other hand. There are many stages in between those two extremes. There is such a thing as a reasonable, fair price; doing business is not always about maximizing your profit margin at all costs. If you believe that €40 for a play-off ticket is a reasonable, fair price, fine, that's your opinion. Judging by the backlash, though, it appears that many Slovan fans believe otherwise.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Plus, they would have to read HFBoards rules that prohibit personal attacks, but as you say, most folks can't read beyond grade-school level, so let's forget it, right? :shakehead
Ikr, like when someone writes your name in a direct criticism, as opposed to just making a veiled remark. And hansom, if you read the quote you quoted, I agree with URNA too concerning price point because she's right and you're right too and earlier I wanted to write a post just to reiterate what she first said but got too lazy to rewrite the Iliad so...yay!?

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
It bodes nothing. This is a Slovak team, and Slovak athletes typically couldn't care less about meaningless games like these. Very different from, say, Canadian mentality, where they would typically consider it their duty to give it their all in every game. There were numerous signs in the roster that Slovan wasn't taking these final two games entirely seriously, but considered them to be high-level practice sessions. (Starting with playing the backup goaltender in both games.)

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Barker suspended for Game 1 vs CSKA for getting his third major penalty during the last season game, which leads to automatic 1 game suspension. Great timing....

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Nonsense. :D And, let's not make conclusions based on a game played without the team's no. 1 defenseman (almost the team's best scorer) and no. 1 center. That would be a tough hurdle for any team to overcome. Barker at the very least will be back in the line-up in game 2, so it can only get better.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
A lead would be nice of course but if we keep things more realistically optimistic, coming into game 4 with 1:2 would make for an interesting meaningful game, can't wait.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad