Slovakia: Slovak youth hockey thread (NT´s, home leagues, CHL, the draft etc.) part II

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Yep, Roman plays great and Buček also gets to a lot of scoring chances, but he needs more luck. I'm really excited about this Roman kid, hopefully he will get some chance with Třínec senior team.
Bodák is definitely our best D, Kmec has some great moments, but he also makes a lot of mistakes. And no comment on Zeleňák, very bad.

The thing that has me confused is how exactly did Zeleňák make the team as an underager last year and Fehérváry didn't this year?

Hlinka Memorial is over sooo, who have a shot to make the WJC roster from this team? Bodák, Solenský, Buček and maybe Roman?

Well, if we factor in that Bokroš want take too many underagers nor too many players outside of the Orange project, I kinda don't think most of the players you mentioned will make it. Actually, I kinda get the impression that Bokroš won't even take both of Tomek/Húska to the WJC.

Meanwhile the u17 team finished the tourney in Switzerland with a 1:7 loss to the Czechs (with 6 goals scored by the Czechs in the last period), 3:4 OT loss to the US and 1:0 win over the Germans. SZLH website says that it means that they finished 3rd but looking at the Swiss federation website the Czechs need at least one point against the Swiss today to ensure 2nd place.

That loss to the Czechs sucks, but there were some extreme blow outs for this tourney, as the Czechs beat the Germans 11:0 while the Americans beat the Swiss 12:0.

Last edited:

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Buček will hopefully have tough time to make the team at WJC. Player, who extends shifts on regular basis and who doesn't contribute to defense, cannot play at WJC. However, BokroÅ¡ was able to make Bondra defensive forward, which seemed to be impossible prior to tournament. So who knows.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
The thing that has me confused is how exactly did Zeleňák make the team as an underager last year and Fehérváry didn't this year?

Well, if we factor in that Bokroš want take too many underagers nor too many players outside of the Orange project, I kinda don't think most of the players you mentioned will make it. Actually, I kinda get the impression that Bokroš won't even take both of Tomek/Húska to the WJC.

Meanwhile the u17 team finished the tourney in Switzerland with a 1:7 loss to the Czechs (with 6 goals scored by the Czechs in the last period), 3:4 OT loss to the US and 1:0 win over the Germans. SZLH website says that it means that they finished 3rd but looking at the Swiss federation website the Czechs need at least one point against the Swiss today to ensure 2nd place.

That loss to the Czechs sucks, but there were some extreme blow outs for this tourney, as the Czechs beat the Germans 11:0 while the Americans beat the Swiss 12:0.

While I am glad about the blowouts as Czech. (Cze 8:2 Sui just ended)
I am asking myself, is the tournament really good? Or is it just a poor Tourney without the best players available?

Also, I wanted to ask, does anyone know when Martin Reway plans to go to NA (AHL/NHL) ? I would really like to see how he would do there.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
While I am glad about the blowouts as Czech. (Cze 8:2 Sui just ended)
I am asking myself, is the tournament really good? Or is it just a poor Tourney without the best players available?

Also, I wanted to ask, does anyone know when Martin Reway plans to go to NA (AHL/NHL) ? I would really like to see how he would do there.

I imagine that Slovakia/Czech republic/Switzerland are just missing the players who are at Ivan Hlinka, which would be Adam Ružička and MiloÅ¡ Roman for Slovakia and Nando Eggenberger, Tobias Geisser and Nico Hischier for Switzerland this year as the Czechs played with only 98 borns at the Ivan Hlinka but I am not sure if any Czech players were missing for other reasons. The US AFAIK doesn'tsend their USNTDP team but a selects team to this tourney.

But it's a pre-season tournament, so...

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008

A Habs blog of some sort had 20 questions with Martin Reway on August 7th. In the twenty questions, Martin revealed that he will play another full season with Sparta Praha, and that he was not making any effort to improve his French. He has however added some kilograms of muscle.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
So the u16 team lost to Hungary u18 0:7 yesterday.

From what I remember this is the first time Slovakia was blown out by either Hungary or Poland in this tourney. Despite hat 2 years age difference the scores are usually pretty tight in these games...

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
So the u16 team lost to Hungary u18 0:7 yesterday.

From what I remember this is the first time Slovakia was blown out by either Hungary or Poland in this tourney. Despite hat 2 years age difference the scores are usually pretty tight in these games...

I was thinking the same thing. Even though the Hungarians are two years older, I wasn't expecting this result.

Hungary beat Austria today winning all three games in the tournament which I think is a first.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I was thinking the same thing. Even though the Hungarians are two years older, I wasn't expecting this result.

Hungary beat Austria today winning all three games in the tournament which I think is a first.

And despite a 2:0 lead yet another loss (2:4) to Poland yesterday.

That's 6 games, 6 losses this season so far for the u16 team.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Buček will hopefully have tough time to make the team at WJC. Player, who extends shifts on regular basis and who doesn't contribute to defense, cannot play at WJC. However, BokroÅ¡ was able to make Bondra defensive forward, which seemed to be impossible prior to tournament. So who knows.

It seems like he will be playing under Stavjaňa rather than BokroÅ¡ this season...

Meanwhile Fehérváry is good enough to play in an exhibition game for a SHL team, but not good enough to play for Slovakia at the Ivan Hlinka...

hmmsk

Jan 6, 2016
I know its early but am interested nonetheless ->

What’s Slovakia’s U20 squad likely to look next year? I’ve got an outline below that I would love to hear views about, it may be

1) Too skewed to ~18yr olds, esp given Bokros likes his guys to be older
2) Too skewed to guys most likely playing outside the U20 project
3) I’m just a fan following this stuff on my own time, so don’t watch most U18/U20 games

Bokros mentioned in the Slovak press that the 2017 group is “terrible” (strasna), and that Latvia is going to have a strong year. So what’s the best Slovakia can muster and potentially not be as bad as this year?

G: (likely locks)
Huska
Tomek
Hrenak

F: (think I have too big of a bias to non-Orange guys here)
Studenic
Cacho
Bucek
Lestan
Ruzicka
Solensky
Bondra
Krivosik
Galbavy
Marcinek
Hrehorcak
Liska

D: (don’t have as good an overview)
Cernak
Hatala
Bodak
Roman
Grman

PS
(And if anyone is up for it, what are the views for the U18 tournament roster this year?)

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I know its early but am interested nonetheless ->

What’s Slovakia’s U20 squad likely to look next year? I’ve got an outline below that I would love to hear views about, it may be

1) Too skewed to ~18yr olds, esp given Bokros likes his guys to be older
2) Too skewed to guys most likely playing outside the U20 project
3) I’m just a fan following this stuff on my own time, so don’t watch most U18/U20 games

Bokros mentioned in the Slovak press that the 2017 group is “terrible†(strasna), and that Latvia is going to have a strong year. So what’s the best Slovakia can muster and potentially not be as bad as this year?

G: (likely locks)
Huska
Tomek
Hrenak

F: (think I have too big of a bias to non-Orange guys here)
Studenic
Cacho
Bucek
Lestan
Ruzicka
Solensky
Bondra
Krivosik
Galbavy
Marcinek
Hrehorcak
Liska

D: (don’t have as good an overview)
Cernak
Hatala
Bodak
Roman
Grman

PS
(And if anyone is up for it, what are the views for the U18 tournament roster this year?)

You have there very much 18 and younger forwards. Thats unrealistic. Maybe 1 from 1999 class will go (imo Ruzicka), and 2 or 3 from 1998. But mostly will be the team build from 1997 class.

hmmsk

Jan 6, 2016
You have there very much 18 and younger forwards. Thats unrealistic. Maybe 1 from 1999 class will go (imo Ruzicka), and 2 or 3 from 1998. But mostly will be the team build from 1997 class.

Yep, too big a focus on ~18 yr olds is what I mentioned, so fair point. I guess I just struggle to see the guys from 1997 that are more talented, despite being a year older, which ones would those be?

And if Ruzicka would go, wouldn't Krivosik, too? Both are big boys already and are putting up good numbers, especially Krivosik in the recent U17s tournament

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Yep, too big a focus on ~18 yr olds is what I mentioned, so fair point. I guess I just struggle to see the guys from 1997 that are more talented, despite being a year older, which ones would those be?

And if Ruzicka would go, wouldn't Krivosik, too? Both are big boys already and are putting up good numbers, especially Krivosik in the recent U17s tournament

Could be. But Ruzicka was for a few games also in U18 team in Slovak junior league. So, there is a chance, he will be next season in U20 team...
But thats only my speculation.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
HK Orange needs to be abandoned imo, builds team chemistry but won't build the skills of 19 year old players. Skill development should start at a younger age.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
HK Orange needs to be abandoned imo, builds team chemistry but won't build the skills of 19 year old players. Skill development should start at a younger age.

Exactly. There is no point in building chemistry between players who are far below the skill level required for WJC.

hmmsk

Jan 6, 2016
CSS rankings are out - solensky, lestan, roman between 91-100 for euros, so a long shot if anything

Anyone know czechexperts views on solensky and roman? I thought they had a better chance that how they were ranked

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
CSS rankings are out - solensky, lestan, roman between 91-100 for euros, so a long shot if anything

Anyone know czechexperts views on solensky and roman? I thought they had a better chance that how they were ranked

Euro list is bad. Solensky and Roman should be higher, especially Solensky, I expect him to be drafted.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Neither will be drafted in my opinion.

Maybe there will be some surprise. Look for example to year 2014. Maximilian Pajpach was drafted by Colorado Avalanche in 6. round. And he wasn't listed in CSS rankings and he didn't play in WJC U 18 that season. Or Matej Paulovic in 2013. Ditto. He was not in this CSS rankings and then he was drafted in 5. round.

In regards to 98, 99 class, lets be not over-heaped. Sure, there is talent, but lets be clear. They all play only in juniors or even U 18 leagues. That not so special. But in 2 years (1 and 1/2) can a lot happen.

Few years ago there was a lot hype for the draft 2014 here in Slovakia. And we all know, how it ended.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad