Slovakia: Slovak youth hockey thread (NT´s, home leagues, CHL, the draft etc.) part II

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Marko Dano is joining Columbus Blue Jacket... thoughts ?

Good for him. In Slovan he was maybe a little bit overlooked. He need more icetime to polish his offensive game. Hope, he will find it in Springfield. I see his first NHL games in season 2014/2015. But not regular, only few of them.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
This result is sucess taking into account that we missed probably the best 1998 born player (at least in my opinion), goaltender Hrenák.

I have never seen a number of those players. From what I've seen I can tell Juriga is solid, Kožiak is solid G, as well (he's come to Slovan, so I'll see him more from now). As for Hrehorčák and Roman duo – Hrehorčák is the best skate I've ever seen in this category. Good player, but sometimes impetuous and rash. But I've seen him just twice.

I saw Roman in one game, I was dissapointed, but probably it was his one of the worst game in this season, so I don't judge. But still, he showed nice hockey sense and hands.

From this team, I really like the skills of Filip VaÅ¡aÅ¡. But he does not seem to be a team player too much. I suggest counting the number of passes he makes in the game. I wouldn't be surprise if the first digit would be 1 or it would be even single-digit number. Martančík is fine. I like Bodák.

But do not overrate this result. We beat Finns with their B-team as they were focusing especially on the tournament played overseas. Interesting prospects like Mäkinen, Puljujärvi or Nurmi were with the team playing overseas along with the coach Jussi Ahokas, who has been coaching U16 all season long, unlike Mika Marttila who coached Finns in Wetzikon. AFAIK, it is second straight year that Finns has sent their B-team to this tournament. In 2011 in Trnava, they were playing with their best players (Kapanen, Honkanen, Pitkänen, Hopponen etc.).

To be honest, I've heard that 1998 pool is not so strong. To be honest, I cannot evaluate them, I've never seen this-year U16 playing a single game (not counting that "mock game" during Slovenské hokejové leto, where mixed teams containing U17 and U16 were playing against each other), but at the same time, last year I've remembered many 1997 born players from Extraliga dorastu or even Extraliga juniorov. This-year I have to search for the 1998 born players when they're on the ice. Plus no-one is playing in Extraliga juniorov. If I'm not mistaken, no player from 1998 pool has played single game in Extraliga juniorov, this season. Last year, we had three regular players from 1997 group, that played in Extraliga juniorov – Hatala, Černák and Valent. This could be caused by two factors:

- Last season, the U18 players (1995 pool) were exceptional in Extraliga dorastu, therefore there were more space for 1997 players, especially those who attended high school, as the dorast category was the lowest category for them in which they were eligible to play. Therefore I remembered more U16 eligible players last season.
- 1998 pool is simply weaker than 1997.

In my opinion the second named factor is little bit stronger in this case. In 1997 pool we have few solid players (Hatala, Valent, Sádecký, Bondra, Grman, Kolesár, Tomek, Húska, Roman, Sloboda, Horvath) and I think this group will finally win at least one game at Ivan Hlinka Tournament (it will be our first win since 2009 :facepalm: ). Unfortunately, in 1998 I don't see any single player that could stand out of the other players (maybe Hrenák, if I close my eyes).

Hopefully this post is understandable. I'm writing it while falling asleep :laugh:

Isn't a part of the reason of this thing with the 1998s that there is a lot of them playing in CZE rather than a home? (I mean, it seems even more than usually).

Also, any thoughts on how the 1999s are looking at the moment? I think their age group should be playing the U18 WC at home in Slovakia in 2017, so would be interesting to hear how they have been doing in Extraliga dorastu.

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Isn't a part of the reason of this thing with the 1998s that there is a lot of them playing in CZE rather than a home? (I mean, it seems even more than usually).

Also, any thoughts on how the 1999s are looking at the moment? I think their age group should be playing the U18 WC at home in Slovakia in 2017, so would be interesting to hear how they have been doing in Extraliga dorastu.
It might be. But it's matter of maybe 6-8 players, it should not make such a huge difference.

As for 1999, you're right, but when I mentioned it to U16 NT HC, his response was like he was not sure whether really 1999 born players would play U18 WC in Slovakia. Filip KrivošÃ­k and Adam Ružička seem to be the best players from 1999 class, they're playing a lot in Extraliga dorastu already and they belong to the best forwards within their teams. I haven't seen Adam Liška, yet, he's injured. Martin Fehérváry is probably the best D-man within this age group. He's playing 1st pair in Ružinov in Extraliga dorastu and he's quite good, yet small little bit.

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
I dont follow our U18 league but I was checking top scorers for some reason and there was this kid Samuel Bucek. Do you know something about him? good size for 15yo, solid stats...what else?

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
I dont follow our U18 league but I was checking top scorers for some reason and there was this kid Samuel Bucek. Do you know something about him? good size for 15yo, solid stats...what else?
Nice scoring touch, good size, but he doesn't use it very well, needs to improve his skating. Very, very, very raw in defensive zone, he tends to cherrypick from time to time, but definitely he could be one of the most important piece of 1998 age group.

Last edited:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
It might be. But it's matter of maybe 6-8 players, it should not make such a huge difference.

As for 1999, you're right, but when I mentioned it to U16 NT HC, his response was like he was not sure whether really 1999 born players would play U18 WC in Slovakia. Filip Krivošík and Adam Ružička seem to be the best players from 1999 class, they're playing a lot in Extraliga dorastu already and they belong to the best forwards within their teams. I haven't seen Adam LiÅ¡ka, yet, he's injured. Martin Fehérváry is probably the best D-man within this age group. He's playing 1st pair in Ružinov in Extraliga dorastu and he's quite good, yet small little bit.

Thanks a lot. Strange about the U16 coach. Though it might have to do with concerns whether we can stay in elite for that year?

Nice scoring touch, good size, but he doesn't use it very well, needs to improve his skating. Very, very, very raw in defensive zone, he tends to cherrypick from time to time, but definitely he could be one of the most important piece of 1998 age group.

Which young Slovak players doesn't? This is just one thing, I don't understand, so much of Slovakia's trouble in the last few years can be written down to the bad skating of our young players, at the same time supposedly the trouble stems from the lack of money in junior/youth hockey but surely you don't need all that much money to learn to skate properly, do you?

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Thanks a lot. Strange about the U16 coach. Though it might have to do with concerns whether we can stay in elite for that year?
I thought that, too. Definitely everybody wants to show his best on the home soil so I thought that so many 1999 players in the last U16 tournament means that Slovaks have alredy started to build the team for 2017 U18 World Champs. Apparently, they haven't.

Which young Slovak players doesn't?
Patrik Hrehorčák. I mean, Buček's skating is bad comparing him with another Slovak players.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I thought that, too. Definitely everybody wants to show his best on the home soil so I thought that so many 1999 players in the last U16 tournament means that Slovaks have alredy started to build the team for 2017 U18 World Champs. Apparently, they haven't.

Yeah, it would kinda make sense. Then again concentratng on just one class because of a home tournament might not be the smartest decision. I can imagine a scenario in which there's lots of attention to the 1999 class and not enough to the one before it might result in relegation before they even get to play the home tournament. Strangers things have happened before after all.

Also,they might not be preparing for 2017 U18 WC but apparanelty they are already preparing the very same class of players for the 2022/2026 Olympics: first sentence here: http://www.hockeyslovakia.sk/sk/clanok/sr-15-v-kosiciach :sarcasm:

Patrik Hrehorčák. I mean, Buček's skating is bad comparing him with another Slovak players.

Hrehorčák is more of an exception that confirms the rule though, isn't he?

Ahh, okay, abou Buček. But my point still stands, I still don't quite understand why skating is such a huge issue that seemingly isn't /can't (?) be dealtk with properly.

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Yeah, it would kinda make sense. Then again concentratng on just one class because of a home tournament might not be the smartest decision. I can imagine a scenario in which there's lots of attention to the 1999 class and not enough to the one before it might result in relegation before they even get to play the home tournament. Strangers things have happened before after all.
Concentrating on one class is not the smartest decision, for sure, but I wouldn't say they're concentrating just on 1999 class. Simply, this age group seems to be stronger than 1998, so they give a chance to show what they're capable of and the fact that Slovakia is hosting U18 WC for this group is just a bonus, I think. As for possible relegation, maybe I'm too optimistic, but I don't see it possible with just one team relegating (although, everything is possible).

Hrehorčák is more of an exception that confirms the rule though, isn't he?

Ahh, okay, abou Buček. But my point still stands, I still don't quite understand why skating is such a huge issue that seemingly isn't /can't (?) be dealtk with properly.
Hrehorčák is an exception, sure. As for skating, I see the huge problem with practice system in Slovakia. We're focusing too much on off-ice preparation, which is also determined partly with the lack of ice during the summer in Slovakia. It is almost impossible for players to practise ON the ice during Juny or July and thus 90 per cent of U18 NT players are for the first time on the ice during the new season at the camp before Ivan Hlinka tournament. And just count it. End of the previous season is at the beginning of April, sometimes at the end of March and then you touch the ice at the begininng of August. It's 4 months. One third of the year.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Concentrating on one class is not the smartest decision, for sure, but I wouldn't say they're concentrating just on 1999 class. Simply, this age group seems to be stronger than 1998, so they give a chance to show what they're capable of and the fact that Slovakia is hosting U18 WC for this group is just a bonus, I think. As for possible relegation, maybe I'm too optimistic, but I don't see it possible with just one team relegating (although, everything is possible).

Hrehorčák is an exception, sure. As for skating, I see the huge problem with practice system in Slovakia. We're focusing too much on off-ice preparation, which is also determined partly with the lack of ice during the summer in Slovakia. It is almost impossible for players to practise ON the ice during Juny or July and thus 90 per cent of U18 NT players are for the first time on the ice during the new season at the camp before Ivan Hlinka tournament. And just count it. End of the previous season is at the beginning of April, sometimes at the end of March and then you touch the ice at the begininng of August. It's 4 months. One third of the year.

I think that relegation is unlikely too, but if there were several unlikely circumstances mixing it could happen. It has happened before even though it was partly cause by coaching incompetence that one would hope we would avoid in he future. You just never know with the U18s though, there's always the potential danger of having your top players in CHL play-offs and therefore unavailable or something like that.

Also, about Patrik Hrehorčák wouldn't he technically have started playing hockey and therefore learn to skate in France while his father was playing there?

That's a good point. One would hope that they will a leas continue with the Hockey Summer of the yout NTs or something similar in the nex few years. Slovakia might not currently have the capacities for all the young players to have ice-time during summer but enough rinks with ice-time all year round have been built over the past few years that at least NT players could get some ice-time.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The preliminary roster for the U18 IHWC has been released. T

Goalies:
Maximilián PAJPACH
Matej TOMEK (both HK Å KP Poprad) 1997
Adam Húska (HKM Zvolen) 1997

Deffense:
Michal BÃLIK
Patrik MAIER (both HC Slovan Bratislava)
Erik ČERNÃK (HC KoÅ¡ice) 1997
Matej MORAVČÃK (MHK 32 L. Mikuláš)
Jakub GARAY (MMHK Nitra)
Ladislav ROMANČÃK (HK 36 Skalica)
Mário GRMAN (HC Topoľčany) 1997
Patrik KOCH (EC Red Bull Salzburg/AUT)
Jakub MELIŠKO (Piráti Chomutov/CZE)
Christián JAROŠ (Lulea/SWE)
Adrián SLOBODA (Ottawa 67´s/CAN)

Forwards:
Marco HALAMA (HC Slovan Bratislava)
Matej PALOČKO (HK Å KP Poprad)
Kristián FERLEŤÃK
Peter VALENT (both HC´05 B. Bystrica) 1997
Radovan BONDRA (HC Košice) 1997
Matúš SUKEĽ (MHK 32 L. Mikuláš)
Jozef KLENKO (MMHK Nitra)
Å imon PETRÃÅ  (HK 36 Skalica)
Jakub TATÃR (HKM Zvolen)
Juraj MILà (P.H.K. Prešov)
Lukáš HRUÅ ÃK (MSHK Žilina)
Kristián POSPÃÅ IL (EC Red Bull Salzburg/AUT)
Martin KRASNIČAN (Djurgardens IF/SWE)
Adrián HOLEŠINSKà (Västeras VIK/SWE)
Filip ADAMČÃK (Lukko Rauma/FIN)
Adam HAÅ ČIČ (Spokane Chiefs/CAN)

Clardz

Jan 25, 2013
DFW
Which young Slovak players doesn't? This is just one thing, I don't understand, so much of Slovakia's trouble in the last few years can be written down to the bad skating of our young players, at the same time supposedly the trouble stems from the lack of money in junior/youth hockey but surely you don't need all that much money to learn to skate properly, do you?

Seems to be a thing with Czechs as well, or maybe that's just popping to my mind because I'm from Dallas and the Stars have Stransky on the farm team. Could be a thing in SVK where there are maybe not so many power skating instructors? Or maybe it's not so much of a focus in practices?

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Seems to be a thing with Czechs as well, or maybe that's just popping to my mind because I'm from Dallas and the Stars have Stransky on the farm team. Could be a thing in SVK where there are maybe not so many power skating instructors? Or maybe it's not so much of a focus in practices?
Hard to say. Maybe lack of the ice during summer... But Slovaks used to be one of the best skaters in hockey world. However, recently, the trend has been totally different.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Hard to say. Maybe lack of the ice during summer... But Slovaks used to be one of the best skaters in hockey world. However, recently, the trend has been totally different.

It's strange because when that generation of players grew up we had even less indoor rinks than we do today. Though a least most winters the conditions were better for outdoor rinks than they are most winter nowadays. Also, could have been that in those days the other countries players didn't get that much ice-time during summer too?

Clardz

Jan 25, 2013
DFW
A lot of trainers actually recommend hockey players to play a different sport during the summers, typically lacrosse or football/soccer. That's what makes me think it's more an issue of instruction during the season.

I was listening to the Marek vs. Wyshynski podcast today and they mentioned how Sweden's hockey program reshaped itself in the late 90's since it had gone downhill. When kids play organized hockey the focus is only on skill development and enjoyment of the sport, they don't actually engage in proper competition until they reach the age of 12. I don't know how many countries it would work for (definitely not America or Canada, hockey parents are too insane) but it's an interesting model that is working out very well for the Swedes

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
A lot of trainers actually recommend hockey players to play a different sport during the summers, typically lacrosse or football/soccer. That's what makes me think it's more an issue of instruction during the season.

I was listening to the Marek vs. Wyshynski podcast today and they mentioned how Sweden's hockey program reshaped itself in the late 90's since it had gone downhill. When kids play organized hockey the focus is only on skill development and enjoyment of the sport, they don't actually engage in proper competition until they reach the age of 12. I don't know how many countries it would work for (definitely not America or Canada, hockey parents are too insane) but it's an interesting model that is working out very well for the Swedes

Well, AFAIK there are no official rankings or players statistics until the players reach 7th grade in Slovak hockey federation competitions.

Also, I think this is likely a part of a set of IHF recommendations for young players, which I think also for example recommend only "mini-hockey" (hocky played in only in one zone of ice) to be played until the age of ten, as well as compulsary line changes after one minute on ice for the players until th age. It's likely that this kind of system is used in much of Europe as well as the developing hockey countries on other continents.

Last edited:

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
In Gatineau's four game sweep over Cape Breton, Martin Reway had four goals and seven assists, and was a team leading +15. Wow.:)

You can see the two goals he had in the last game here:
http://youtu.be/B1OapaSqERY

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Next its Halifax with Drouin etc... Now we will see, how good he is.

Reway 1+3/0 in the series against Halifax. Not terrible.:) Fucale absolutely robbed him a couple of times tonight. He was showing frustration on the bench, slamming the bench door several times after a missed opportunity. He bows out while 6th in LHJMQ playoff scoring, top of his team with 5 goals and 10 assists in 9 games played. I do not believe he is quite free yet to join Coach Vujtek, it is likely he will be sent to Hamilton now.

P.S. Marko Dano had his first multi-point AHL game tonight, he was 1+1 with the Falcons.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Reway 1+3/0 in the series against Halifax. Not terrible.:) Fucale absolutely robbed him a couple of times tonight. He was showing frustration on the bench, slamming the bench door several times after a missed opportunity. He bows out while 6th in LHJMQ playoff scoring, top of his team with 5 goals and 10 assists in 9 games played. I do not believe he is quite free yet to join Coach Vujtek, it is likely he will be sent to Hamilton now.

P.S. Marko Dano had his first multi-point AHL game tonight, he was 1+1 with the Falcons.

Can he play in AHL?

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
I am currently at the Memorial Cup and had the opportunity to watch Timotej Sille, in particular against Guelph where he had a goal and an assist for Val-d'Or. He has a lot of height and a big reach. He picked the puck loose from the skates of the Guelph defender from a considerable distance and put it right into the net for his goal.

Same thing with his assist, the Guelph player tried to kick the puck to his stick, Sille stole it, protected the puck with his big body and feathered a beautiful pass in front of the Guelph net.

Sille should receive consideration for Slovakia's WJCU20 team this December in Montreal/Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad