Slovakia: Slovak youth hockey thread (NT´s, home leagues, CHL, the draft etc.) part II

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
I had a chance to see Peter Cehlarik play during the weekend in the European Trophy when his Lulea HF visited Salzburg. He wore the number of Michal Handzus, another big guy like Peter, obviously his inspiration. Peter wasn't the most visible player on the ice (except when picking up his penalty), but didn't look out of place either. I think he played well enough to earn more playing time in upcoming games for Lulea.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
There is a 19 year old on HK Nitra named Branislav Rapáč. He has 5 points in games. I was just a little surprised because at the World Juniors he was worse than invisible. Maybe he has developed in the past year, and it also says about the quality of the extraliga.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
There is a 19 year old on HK Nitra named Branislav Rapáč. He has 5 points in games. I was just a little surprised because at the World Juniors he was worse than invisible. Maybe he has developed in the past year, and it also says about the quality of the extraliga.

it was only in pre-season games. Lets wait to the regular season.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Jim Nill didn´t scout him [Paulovic] for sure, he has worked the whole season for Red Wings. Stars have Swedish scout, plus Karri Takko is chief European scout for them.
Waste of pick in my opinion.

Nice hatrick by Paulovic versus North Bay last night. Looking decent after a nice rookie camp with the Stars. That is the best way to shut-up the know nothing scouts.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Nice hatrick by Paulovic versus North Bay last night. Looking decent after a nice rookie camp with the Stars. That is the best way to shut-up the know nothing scouts.

Hmm, two (second) assists in seven regular games :sarcasm:

People from Färjestäds knew why they are not interested in him anymore...

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
People from Dallas Stars had another opinion. ;) You as a expert should know, that points are not everything.

and scouts from many other teams were astounded when they heard his name...
time will tell but based on my viewing he is waste of pick. That´s my opinion.

of course, points are not everything, I replied on note mentioning some goals in pre-season...

Clardz

Jan 25, 2013
DFW

of course, points are not everything, I replied on note mentioning some goals in pre-season...

Paulovič is off to a slow start, was even a healthy scratch for a game, but it seems like he is starting to get going in the regular season. He looked good in the Traverse City prospects tournament and caught a lot of people's attention. I don't think it's surprising that he is having to make a lot of adjustments to the North American game/rink size/etc

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Not a new prospect at all... He looked pretty promising in 11-12, but last season he was stuck little bit. Maybe the influence of weak Žilina's U18 team... Plus he has some healthy troubles, as far as I know.

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
Hi guys, the WJC in Sweden (finally some normal times to watch these kids play) will be held in just two months. Who do you guys think will make the team and what are your predictions. There is also a new format being used where 4 teams advance into playoffs while the last team plays BO3 to avoid relegation.

Teemu8

Nov 1, 2013
G: Sabol, Romancik

D: Valjent - Cernak
Luza - Gachulinec
Sloboda - Predajniansky
Keckes - Rusina

O: Dano - Griger - Lunter
Cehlarik - Reway - Soltes
Horansky - Kolena - Lantosi
Rzavsky - Gaspar - Koys
(Simun - Sille - Paulovic)

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Hmm, two (second) assists in seven regular games :sarcasm:

People from Färjestäds knew why they are not interested in him anymore...

People from Dallas Stars had another opinion. ;) You as a expert should know, that points are not everything.

And once again Czechexpert is correct.

Matej Paulovic has been released from the Petes after putting up only 2 goals and 4 points in 18 games.

I also questioned why Dallas would draft him, but was ignored and told off. He's clearly a waste of a pick. I almost think that he was mistaken for Cehlarik..

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
And once again Czechexpert is correct.

Matej Paulovic has been released from the Petes after putting up only 2 goals and 4 points in 18 games.

I also questioned why Dallas would draft him, but was ignored and told off. He's clearly a waste of a pick. I almost think that he was mistaken for Cehlarik..

Thats sad. I thought, he could be nice to defense oriented forward. But he is still 19. Maybe in 5 years he can progress to be at least respected forward in Europe.
Maybe he will go now to Orange 20 team. And fight for the final chance to play on the next WJC.

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
No Patrik Hrehorcak and Roman Milos discussion?
Almost no-one has seen them, so nobody wants to talk about them. Easy as that.

I've seen Hrehorčák twice and Roman once, unfortunately, when I watched the only game of Třinec U16 this season, they didn't play as good as they used to (at least according to stats, plus both went pointless at that game I watched).

Hrehorčák is great skater. Hats off, he would be able to overtake a number of players even from U18 national team on the ice. From what I saw, Roman has hockey sense, good hands plus he's big body, which is always plus.

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
So the U16s have just won a tournament in Switzerland, defeating SUI 2:1(SO), GER 5:1 and FIN 5:2. Does anyone know much about this group yet?

Lines in the last game against Finland:

Kožiak – M. Juriga, Hedera, Rudy, Bodák, Kuna, Dlapka, A. Leško, Junas – Solenský, Čacho ml., S. Buček – Vašaš, Patrik Hrehorčák, Miloš Roman – Martančík, Nechaj, P. Bjalončík – R. Václav, Musliu, Hrabčák.

Just looking through the players quickly, it seems that Juriga is doing relatively well in Sweden, while Solensky is currently switching between the U16s and U18s with Liberec in CZ. Scored 23 goals in 29 games as a 14 year old in the U16 Extraliga last year. There's also the pair of 99 born Trinec forwards. Patrik Hrehorčák who has 23 goals in 19 games in the u16 Extraliga this year, and Milos Roman who has 8 points in 8 games in the U18 Extraliga already.

Last edited:

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
This result is sucess taking into account that we missed probably the best 1998 born player (at least in my opinion), goaltender Hrenák.

I have never seen a number of those players. From what I've seen I can tell Juriga is solid, Kožiak is solid G, as well (he's come to Slovan, so I'll see him more from now). As for Hrehorčák and Roman duo – Hrehorčák is the best skate I've ever seen in this category. Good player, but sometimes impetuous and rash. But I've seen him just twice.

I saw Roman in one game, I was dissapointed, but probably it was his one of the worst game in this season, so I don't judge. But still, he showed nice hockey sense and hands.

From this team, I really like the skills of Filip Vašaš. But he does not seem to be a team player too much. I suggest counting the number of passes he makes in the game. I wouldn't be surprise if the first digit would be 1 or it would be even single-digit number. Martančík is fine. I like Bodák.

But do not overrate this result. We beat Finns with their B-team as they were focusing especially on the tournament played overseas. Interesting prospects like Mäkinen, Puljujärvi or Nurmi were with the team playing overseas along with the coach Jussi Ahokas, who has been coaching U16 all season long, unlike Mika Marttila who coached Finns in Wetzikon. AFAIK, it is second straight year that Finns has sent their B-team to this tournament. In 2011 in Trnava, they were playing with their best players (Kapanen, Honkanen, Pitkänen, Hopponen etc.).

To be honest, I've heard that 1998 pool is not so strong. To be honest, I cannot evaluate them, I've never seen this-year U16 playing a single game (not counting that "mock game" during Slovenské hokejové leto, where mixed teams containing U17 and U16 were playing against each other), but at the same time, last year I've remembered many 1997 born players from Extraliga dorastu or even Extraliga juniorov. This-year I have to search for the 1998 born players when they're on the ice. Plus no-one is playing in Extraliga juniorov. If I'm not mistaken, no player from 1998 pool has played single game in Extraliga juniorov, this season. Last year, we had three regular players from 1997 group, that played in Extraliga juniorov – Hatala, Černák and Valent. This could be caused by two factors:

- Last season, the U18 players (1995 pool) were exceptional in Extraliga dorastu, therefore there were more space for 1997 players, especially those who attended high school, as the dorast category was the lowest category for them in which they were eligible to play. Therefore I remembered more U16 eligible players last season.
- 1998 pool is simply weaker than 1997.

In my opinion the second named factor is little bit stronger in this case. In 1997 pool we have few solid players (Hatala, Valent, Sádecký, Bondra, Grman, Kolesár, Tomek, Húska, Roman, Sloboda, Horvath) and I think this group will finally win at least one game at Ivan Hlinka Tournament (it will be our first win since 2009 :facepalm: ). Unfortunately, in 1998 I don't see any single player that could stand out of the other players (maybe Hrenák, if I close my eyes).

Hopefully this post is understandable. I'm writing it while falling asleep :laugh:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
This result is sucess taking into account that we missed probably the best 1998 born player (at least in my opinion), goaltender Hrenák.

I have never seen a number of those players. From what I've seen I can tell Juriga is solid, Kožiak is solid G, as well (he's come to Slovan, so I'll see him more from now). As for Hrehorčák and Roman duo – Hrehorčák is the best skate I've ever seen in this category. Good player, but sometimes impetuous and rash. But I've seen him just twice.

I saw Roman in one game, I was dissapointed, but probably it was his one of the worst game in this season, so I don't judge. But still, he showed nice hockey sense and hands.

From this team, I really like the skills of Filip VaÅ¡aÅ¡. But he does not seem to be a team player too much. I suggest counting the number of passes he makes in the game. I wouldn't be surprise if the first digit would be 1 or it would be even single-digit number. Martančík is fine. I like Bodák.

But do not overrate this result. We beat Finns with their B-team as they were focusing especially on the tournament played overseas. Interesting prospects like Mäkinen, Puljujärvi or Nurmi were with the team playing overseas along with the coach Jussi Ahokas, who has been coaching U16 all season long, unlike Mika Marttila who coached Finns in Wetzikon. AFAIK, it is second straight year that Finns has sent their B-team to this tournament. In 2011 in Trnava, they were playing with their best players (Kapanen, Honkanen, Pitkänen, Hopponen etc.).

To be honest, I've heard that 1998 pool is not so strong. To be honest, I cannot evaluate them, I've never seen this-year U16 playing a single game (not counting that "mock game" during Slovenské hokejové leto, where mixed teams containing U17 and U16 were playing against each other), but at the same time, last year I've remembered many 1997 born players from Extraliga dorastu or even Extraliga juniorov. This-year I have to search for the 1998 born players when they're on the ice. Plus no-one is playing in Extraliga juniorov. If I'm not mistaken, no player from 1998 pool has played single game in Extraliga juniorov, this season. Last year, we had three regular players from 1997 group, that played in Extraliga juniorov – Hatala, Černák and Valent. This could be caused by two factors:

- Last season, the U18 players (1995 pool) were exceptional in Extraliga dorastu, therefore there were more space for 1997 players, especially those who attended high school, as the dorast category was the lowest category for them in which they were eligible to play. Therefore I remembered more U16 eligible players last season.
- 1998 pool is simply weaker than 1997.

In my opinion the second named factor is little bit stronger in this case. In 1997 pool we have few solid players (Hatala, Valent, Sádecký, Bondra, Grman, Kolesár, Tomek, Húska, Roman, Sloboda, Horvath) and I think this group will finally win at least one game at Ivan Hlinka Tournament (it will be our first win since 2009 :facepalm: ). Unfortunately, in 1998 I don't see any single player that could stand out of the other players (maybe Hrenák, if I close my eyes).

Hopefully this post is understandable. I'm writing it while falling asleep :laugh:

nice post. :handclap: For the final conclusion, we should wait some years. We all knows, how was the class of 1995 glorified. Few years ago. Maybe it could turn the better way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad