• Slavin

Votes: 109 43.6%
  • Provorov

Votes: 141 56.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
You're right it's not that simple to determine the winner between 3 heavyweights.

You have the guy that made the "Jaccob Slavin is the best young defenseman in the league" thread and has championed Gaudreau to great heights comparing Monahan to a 3rd line passenger.

Then there's the biggest Flyers fan on the board masquerading as a Blackhawks fan even though his post ratio is 10000:1 Flyers. Not afraid to drop in and talk about Giroux like it's still 2012

Finally we have the self proclaimed advanced stats expert that can adjust #s to argue Zaitsev and Gardiner > your team's #1 dmen. Or Matthews could play Karlsson's position better because corsi + score adjusted toronto media pressure.

I'll be very surprised if somebody comes out on top

:clap:

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
In 2017 (5v5):

P/60: Slavin 0.68 vs. Provorov 0.68
Game Score: Slavin 8.82 vs. Provorov 6.03
CF%: Slavin 52.51% vs. Provorov 49.47%
GF%: Slavin 48.15% vs. Provorov 41.67%
Expected GF%: Slavin 52.42% vs. Provorov 51.94%
PDO: Slavin 98.38% vs. Provorov 97.28%
% OFF ZS: Slavin 47.12% vs. Provorov 47.14%
TOI %: Slavin 38.56% vs. Provorov 37.77%
CF% QoC: Slavin 50.49% vs. Provorov 49.58%

General Stats:

Takeaways: Slavin 17 vs. Provorov 3
Giveaways: Slavin 5 vs. Provorov 19
Takeaway - Giveaway: Slavin +12 vs. Provorov (-16)
Blocked Shots: Slavin 47 vs. Provorov 55
Hits: Slavin 6 vs. Provorov 37
PIM: Slavin 0 vs. Provorov 6

Maybe you could explain why all the data points to Slavin being the better #1?

Both are great (quite similar outside of possession). As a Canes fan I'm fine believing that Provorov has ascended to Slavin's level. It's fine to say that one prefer's Provorov as he is 2.5 years younger. Slavin is in his 3rd year and Provorov is in his 2nd. However, to say that Provorov is the better player right now is a reach.
Honestly, I refuse to read of even check up on your stats to confirm them, you're showing a very clear agenda with for your first stat

5v5 points.... why not use use ES points or all points? because both hurt Slavin? there's many stats you're purposely leaving off.

Provorov: GP 22, G 4, A 7, P 11 (41 point pace)
Savin: GP 20, G 2, A 4, P 6 ( 24 point pace)

Since you like only discussing ES points, Provorov has 10, Slavin has 6.

Every other stat (that you hand picked) and felt the need to bold marginally favors Slavin. To say its a reach to say Provorov is better you must also say its a reach to say that Slavin is better.

Stop manipulating the numbers

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Explain why its currently being debated and Slavin is currently losing?

Probably because its debatable.

Something being debated does not mean it's "debatable". Unless you think it's debatable that the earth is flat.

As for the HF poll, not so sure I'd use that as evidence of anything. Defenseman with the most points at the time tend to win polls, regardless of how many giveaways they have.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Honestly, I refuse to read of even check up on your stats to confirm them, you're showing a very clear agenda with for your first stat

5v5 points.... why not use use ES points or all points? because both hurt Slavin? there's many stats you're purposely leaving off.

Provorov: GP 22, G 4, A 7, P 11 (41 point pace)
Savin: GP 20, G 2, A 4, P 6 ( 24 point pace)

Since you like only discussing ES points, Provorov has 10, Slavin has 6.

Every other stat (that you hand picked) and felt the need to bold marginally favors Slavin. To say its a reach to say Provorov is better you must also say its a reach to say that Slavin is better.

Stop manipulating the numbers

I pulled up Corsica and listed basically every primary stat they have on the default setting (5v5) which is the standard basis of comparison.

I don't have the time or patience to explain why 5v5 is the best comparable analysis for advanced stats. It just is. Accept it or don't, it doesn't make it less true.

You say I cherry picked all the stats and then gave ONE example: points. Provorov has had 4 points in the past 3 games since I posted my data. I can't believe I have to explain this, but if a player scores more points over the course of a week then their scoring numbers change.

If Slavin has a 5 point game tonight then it doesn't make sense for me to come back tonight, quote your scoring post, and say "lol your numbers are so wrong and cherry picked".

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It is funny how people don't think of Provy when thinking offence.

5th in ES points for Dmen this year
16th in ES points for Dmen the last 2 years combined

He just won't get the high totals due to Ghost being the #1 PP guy. And considering Ghost is 3rd in PP points over the last 2 years, and 1st this year, it isn't likely to change.

Reactions: HyPnOtiK

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
I pulled up Corsica and listed basically every primary stat they have on the default setting (5v5) which is the standard basis of comparison.

I don't have the time or patience to explain why 5v5 is the best comparable analysis for advanced stats. It just is. Accept it or don't, it doesn't make it less true.

You say I cherry picked all the stats and then gave ONE example: points. Provorov has had 4 points in the past 3 games since I posted my data. I can't believe I have to explain this, but if a player scores more points over the course of a week then their scoring numbers change.

If Slavin has a 5 point game tonight then it doesn't make sense for me to come back tonight, quote your scoring post, and say "lol your numbers are so wrong and cherry picked".
I don't care enough to Check up on when you posted those stats so ill just take your word for it. When I read it the stats were off completely.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Something being debated does not mean it's "debatable". Unless you think it's debatable that the earth is flat.

As for the HF poll, not so sure I'd use that as evidence of anything. Defenseman with the most points at the time tend to win polls, regardless of how many giveaways they have.
This is literally the most illogical thing I've ever read on these forums, and that's saying a lot....

If you made a poll about the earth being flat it would get 5% of the votes, not 55%..... if 55% of people think one thing and 45% think another it really doesn't get more clear cut "debatable" than that.. were discussing opinion, not scientific fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad