Confirmed with Link: Slavin re-signs, 7 years/$5.3 AAV

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Just a smidge more development in his point shot, and playmaking in the offensive zone, and he'll be a perpetual Norris candidate. I don't know how his defensive game could be any better.

If I were a betting man, I'd say with his hands and instincts, it's just a matter of time.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If I had to bet, I'd say Luke Martin is going to be the next good Canes defenseman. Seems like we need to only draft US born NCAA defensemen. :sarcasm:

Since 2009 here are most of the key defensemen they drafted, blue is US born NCAA players.

2009: Dumoulin (2nd round)
2010: Faulk (2nd round)
2011: Ryan Murphy (1st round)
2012: Slavin (4th round), Carrick (4th round)
2013: Pesce (3rd round)
2014: Fleury (1st round)
2015: Hanifin (1st round)
2016: Bean (1st round)
2017: Martin (2nd round)

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
So I assume the presser was just to announce the contract, nothing more...

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
This deal is great. Could Slavin be a future captain?

I usually don't care, but the letters thing is starting to get interesting. Staal, Rask, Faulk and Skinner all wore letters last season, and you really have to add Williams and Slavin this season. More than one of them is getting left out this season.

Personally, I don't like alternating home/road "A"s. I'd make Williams captain for his two seasons, with Slavin/Skinner as "A"s. But I'm not sure how that will sit with Staal and Faulk. Don't really care about Rask being pissy.

My guess is they'll do a "C" and four "A"s, but that's just too many letters IMO.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
The funny thing is I really do think we have another NHL defenseman in Martin. I know it's wayyy early, but he looked really poised at prospect camp. Will be interesting to see how he looks next to NHL guys at training camp. But NCAA defenseman in rounds 2 to 4 is our bread and butter. Crazy how we've drafted Dumo, Faulk, Pesce, Slavin, and Hanifin from there.

Finns in round 2 could be bread and butter too, but that's still to be answered with Kuokkanen & Eetu #1.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
If I had to bet, I'd say Luke Martin is going to be the next good Canes defenseman. Seems like we need to only draft US born NCAA defensemen. :sarcasm:

Since 2009 here are most of the key defensemen they drafted, blue is US born NCAA players.

2009: Dumoulin (2nd round)
2010: Faulk (2nd round)
2011: Ryan Murphy (1st round)
2012: Slavin (4th round), Carrick (4th round)
2013: Pesce (3rd round)
2014: Fleury (1st round)
2015: Hanifin (1st round)
2016: Bean (1st round)
2017: Martin (2nd round)

The real takeaway here is that we have to *stop* taking Canadian-born CHL defensemen in the first round.

Yes, I know we still have high hopes for Fleury and Bean. I was just joining in the sarcasm.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So I assume the presser was just to announce the contract, nothing more...

correct, at least for the part I watched. Basically Francis said Slavin was one of the best young defensemen in the NHL and a cornerstone for the team. Slavin talked about how involved he was in the church, local community and wanted the security to know he was going to be there for a while. Also was excited about the direction the team was headed, etc....

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
2 Cs and 6 As.

Home: old boys. Williams C, Faulk/Skinner/Staal A.
Away: young guns. Slavin C, Pesce/Aho/Lindy A.

Sorry Rasker. Even in Hank's foolproof CCAAAAAAptain system, you don't get a letter. I never understood why you had one in the first place, frankly.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Seems like we need to only draft US born NCAA defensemen. :sarcasm:

It's those damn Canadians!

I'd again make a joke that I hate all Canadians, but then someone here would again fail to see the sarcasm in such an outlandishly ironical statement, and then someone else would again also fail to see the comical absurdity of hating 75% of the NHL and I'd get another hand-slap, and then when I reacted with "how the hell can you not see this is a joke?!?", I'd get a more serious hand-slap from someone that I have a great deal of respect for, and my feelings would be hurt, so I'll just steer well away from making that joke again.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The real takeaway here is that we have to *stop* taking Canadian-born CHL defensemen in the first round.

Yes, I know we still have high hopes for Fleury and Bean. I was just joining in the sarcasm.

Imagine if we had taken McAvoy instead of Bean last year. :laugh: (ok, maybe I shouldn't laugh).

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Oh, and for the record, I'm happy with the signing and I'm glad Slavin plays for us. But have you ever seen a player who is so universally gushed about around the league? Maybe Conner McDavid, but not many others. *Nobody* dislikes this player or this deal. Aho is headed that way, too. Weird to be happening to Canes players.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
We happened to be talking about Jaccob on how he was such a nice guy and stuff. Then it was crazy because this girl was behind us listening to our convo and asked "Are you talking about Jaccob Slavin?" We replied "Yes!" She then says "That's my husband!".

12501720_1250159091677487_1364034162_n.jpg

Hello Jaccob "I outkicked my coverage" Slavin

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The funny thing is I really do think we have another NHL defenseman in Martin. I know it's wayyy early, but he looked really poised at prospect camp. Will be interesting to see how he looks next to NHL guys at training camp. But NCAA defenseman in rounds 2 to 4 is our bread and butter. Crazy how we've drafted Dumo, Faulk, Pesce, Slavin, and Hanifin from there.

Finns in round 2 could be bread and butter too, but that's still to be answered with Kuokkanen & Eetu #1.

:dunno:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
If anyone is curious of how unknown Slavin is. Jaccob Slavin only has 3,200 followers and his dogs @twofloofydoodles has 4,500 followers for comparison lol.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
WTF is Ronnie thinking? This guy only has 60 NHL points!

Hot take from the trade board.

You must be joking.

Oh. Wow. You're not joking. There's always one in the crowd...

Anyway, I freaking love this. I'm calling it now, his number will be in the rafters one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad