Confirmed with Link: Slavin re-signs, 7 years/$5.3 AAV

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Love this deal. Way to go GMRF. :yo:

With Slavin living in Raleigh during the offseason, a now cornerstone player for this franchise, can we just go ahead and give him the 'C'?

They are holding a press conference at 1:30pm today, wonder if maybe they will announce him as captain.

Yes! Slavin for Captain!

Where can I live stream the press conference?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Brilliant signing.

Sign me up for a $4 million x 7 year Pesce extension.

Would be amazing for Carolina if they can lock up that pairing for less than 10M combined for the next 8 years, helps a ton when trying to build a contender.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Would be incredible if they decided to make him captain today. Might as well, they've already basically made him the face of the team, with having him model the new uniforms and so on.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Posted this on the main board. Even if Slavin doesn't improve 1 bit, heck, even if he isn't quite as good as he was this past season, the contract extension is still fantastic.

He and Pesce were +23 on a team where only 1 other regular player was plus, and that was Stempniak at +2. Yeah, +/- isn't a good stat, but when it is this striking, it gives a good indication of their impact. Taking Slavin and Pesce out of the picture, the rest of the team was a combined -190 on the season. :amazed: They did this while facing the toughest competition and least ozone starts among defensemen for the Canes so they were facing the other teams best.

For defensemen with over 500 ES minutes (roughly 40ish games) in the NHL, here's how Slavin's ES numbers rank:

P/60: 24th best in NHL
GA/60: 30th best in NHL (with one of the leagues worth goaltending duo)
GF%: 18th best in NHL
SA/60: 22nd best in NHL
SF%: 25th best in NHL
CF%: 28th best in NHL
Unadj GAR: 30th best in NHL

Other metrics among NHL defensemen:
PIM: 14th best in NHL (players > 42 games) with 12 PIM. Only Klefbom (6) and Pysyk (10) played 82 games like Slavin and had less PIM>
TOI/GP: 24th in NHL (#1 on Canes)
TKA: #1 in NHL and 18 more than the person that was #2
BLKS: 14th best in NHL

Now look at shots on goal with and without Slavin.
WITH SLAVIN on the ice:

slavija94

WITHOUT Slavin on the ice:
slavija94

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Outstanding signing from Francis. The change from JR to RF has read turned this franchise around.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Sign me up for a $4 million x 7 year Pesce extension.

Pesce's value is only going to go up and up from here. Might as well get it done soon.

My guess for pesce: 7 X 4.5

Originally, I would have thought something closer to $4 million per, but after Slavin's signing, I could see it a little higher ($4.25 - $4.5 million per). However, I said this on another thread, I'd like to see him signed for 6 years as it staggers the contract renegotiations.

I agree that getting something done with Pesce sooner rather than later makes a lot of sense...that said, we did a nice job of restocking RHD with the Martin draft choice. I think he's going to be damn good too.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Did he have some sort of actual stat to back that statement up notopie?

EDIT: didn't see anything but he also tweeted this.

[Tweet]885169016293273604[/MEDIA]

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
In both cases, sort of like when you watch his multitude of effective poke checks, the eye test gets confirmed by actual statistics. Life doesn't always happen that way, but it does this one time.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Did he have some sort of actual stat to back that statement up notopie?

EDIT: didn't see anything but he also tweeted this.

[Tweet]885169016293273604[/MEDIA]

Could be one of the private advance stats companies that only sell that type of info to NHL teams. Maybe Francis or Tulsky just highlighted those tidbits in their reasoning.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Pumped to have Slavin a Cane for at least the next 8 seasons. Couldn't ask for a better player and a better person to be apart of the Canes going forward.

It's so funny for me as I had the opportunity to meet Slavin when I had no idea who he was other than that he was a 4th round pick for us.
Met him at his first prospect camp and he ended up talking to my friend and I for about 10 minutes after the signing and was just such a nice stand up guy, really cared to have a good genuine convo. My friend and I became a huge fan of his from that moment. The following year it was the Caniac Carnival and my friend and I purposely wanted to go get Slavin's auto again so we could talk to him and see if he remembered us, and he did! My friend and i dropped our signed stuff in the car and then walked back to into the arena to watch the scrimmage. We happened to be talking about Jaccob on how he was such a nice guy and stuff. Then it was crazy because this girl was behind us listening to our convo and asked "Are you talking about Jaccob Slavin?" We replied "Yes!" She then says "That's my husband!". Mind you this is when he was a nobody prospect so she was shocked we knew him and we were shocked we just met his wife Kylie while we were talking about Jaccob. It was her first day in Raleigh and she knew no one and ended up hanging with us during the entire scrimmage. It's mind blowing to me that my friend and I became huge fans of his because he was just so nice and we never expected him to become a top pairing d man of the Canes. Fast forward to now and I always run into his wife Kylie at the games and we always talk when we run into each other. Both of them are just so nice. It's awesome to know they are gonna be here for at least 8 more seasons!

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Usually they will have a stream going on their website. Sadly i'll miss it as i'll be on my way to the vet to get the fur baby her shots/yearly check-up.

Has anyone else heard anything about a press conference today at 1:30pm? I can't find any reference to that...

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Pumped to have Slavin a Cane for at least the next 8 seasons. Couldn't ask for a better player and a better person to be apart of the Canes going forward.

It's so funny for me as I had the opportunity to meet Slavin when I had no idea who he was other than that he was a 4th round pick for us.
Met him at his first prospect camp and he ended up talking to my friend and I for about 10 minutes after the signing and was just such a nice stand up guy, really cared to have a good genuine convo. My friend and I became a huge fan of his from that moment. The following year it was the Caniac Carnival and my friend and I purposely wanted to go get Slavin's auto again so we could talk to him and see if he remembered us, and he did! My friend and i dropped our signed stuff in the car and then walked back to into the arena to watch the scrimmage. We happened to be talking about Jaccob on how he was such a nice guy and stuff. Then it was crazy because this girl was behind us listening to our convo and asked "Are you talking about Jaccob Slavin?" We replied "Yes!" She then says "That's my husband!". Mind you this is when he was a nobody prospect so she was shocked we knew him and we were shocked we just met his wife Kylie while we were talking about Jaccob. It was her first day in Raleigh and she knew no one and ended up hanging with us during the entire scrimmage. It's mind blowing to me that my friend and I became huge fans of his because he was just so nice and we never expected him to become a top pairing d man of the Canes. Fast forward to now and I always run into his wife Kylie at the games and we always talk when we run into each other. Both of them are just so nice. It's awesome to know they are gonna be here for at least 8 more seasons!

This is an awesome story CandyCanes!

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Now that he's extended and on a sweet deal, maybe Sakic will take him straight up for Duchene.

Slavin >> Duchene. I would only trade Slavin for something stupid, like McDavid or Auston Matthews. I would not trade Slavin for Laine, even. Call me crazy.

What a stud. Thank you for sharing that story. One of my hockey pals, can't remember who (may have been my Dad) ran into the Slavins at a grocery store. The friend told me that the Slavins were very kind. Apparently they had also bought some junk food and Slavin was embarrassed to be caught buying it in front of a hockey fan. This was about a year ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad