Slavin for Norris

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I honestly can't ever see Slavin winning the Norris. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see 50+ points coming from him and that's what he'd need to do to just to be considered, regardless of how good defensively he is.

Secondly, the competition is just incredible. Hedman is only 26 so he will be in his prime during most of Slavin's prime. EK, Josi and Doughty are only 27. Then there are all the guys his age or younger: Jones, Werenski, Provorov, Trouba, Lindholm, Parayko, Sergachev, along with guys not even in the league yet (Dahlin, etc..).

I think Slavin is fantastic and am glad we have him, just don't think Norris is anywhere in the cards.

Reactions: MinJaBen

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
First step to be seriously considered for a Norris is to play for a Playoff team. The better the team, the higher the weight. Without the Canes becoming a contender he has no chance.

I honestly think Slavin's defensive ability is so heady and apparent that it could carry him to a Norris. This while averaging closer to 40 points than 50. For Canes fans he is the poster child of what a true shutdown D looks like. He is starting to get that same recognition Nationally. I don't think he ever competes with a 70+ point Hedman or Karlsson. I also don't think that a D will put up those numbers every single year of Slavin's career due to a number of factors (injury, bad years for teams, aging, etc.).

It only takes one offensive off year for a minority crowd to come out and say "Look at this 5 year compilation of Slavin shutting down the best players in the league" combined with "look at the Shootout and breakaway goals" and an "isn't it time for a special defensive D to win this award".

If someone is going to do it then I think Slavin will. For whatever reason he has a universal appeal when fans actually watch his games. This is all assuming the Canes become either a great Regular season team or can push deep into the Playoffs regularly.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
As long as he keeps playing like this for years to come, I couldn't care less if he ever wins a Norris. Unfortunately, it's just not how the award is voted on by most people to give a player like him a real shot.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It only takes one offensive off year for a minority crowd to come out and say "Look at this 5 year compilation of Slavin shutting down the best players in the league" combined with "look at the Shootout and breakaway goals" and an "isn't it time for a special defensive D to win this award".

If someone is going to do it then I think Slavin will. For whatever reason he has a universal appeal when fans actually watch his games. This is all assuming the Canes become either a great Regular season team or can push deep into the Playoffs regularly.

I still don't think so without getting to 50+ points. How close has Vlasic come to a Norris throughout these last 10 or so years? (serious question as I don't know the answer). I do agree that guys like Hedman and Karlsson are bound to have an off year, but even if they do, not all of Jones, Werenski, Provorov, Trouba, Lindholm, Parayko, Sergachev, Josi, Doughty, and other guys not even in the NHL will have an off year also.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It will take a career season offensively for him to finish top 3 for Norris voting with the number of elite offensive defensemen coming into the league. I would say winning it would be about even money if he had a 60 point season somehow at any point during his career. The actual trophy to me isn't as relevant as the mere concept that we get a defenseman this impacting for the next 9 years. Trophies are somewhat farcical anyways given the moving target nature of their measurement priorities.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If Slavin ever wins the Norris it'll probably be the same way Brindy won the Selke. As a sort of lifetime achievement award coinciding with some team success/higher visibility, etc.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
While I agree that contributed to Rod winning, the two years Rod won it though, he was fantastic defensively while also putting up 30 goals (1st time) and 82 points (2nd time) so he had the whole package those 2 years. Unless Slavin does that, I don't see him being in the running, the same way Vlasic never has been.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'm not saying that he wasn't legitimately deserving; he definitely was. But he had been in the past too, especially in Philly but I also think during that 01-02 season when he was such a hoss. If he had just been on an average team that year, I think we all understand he wouldn't have won it in 06, and certainly would not have the following season either.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad