Value of: Slava Voynov’s rights

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Driving is something people do every single day. Unfortunately, sometimes people drink too much and think they can drive and tragic, horrible accidents happen. Many people that drive drunk don't think they are drunk and don't think they are making a dangerous choice at all. They don't think they are "choosing to drive drunk" they think they are choosing to drive. That's the root of the problem. Saying they "know the consequence" of that choice is to misunderstand what alcohol does to people. They don't know the consequence, in fact, they don't think they are taking a risk. The alcohol doesn't just impair their ability to drive, it impairs their ability to make a smart choice.

Beating your wife, whether you are drunk or not, is a choice a person makes. Whether you make that choice drunk or sober, you are choosing to assault someone and you are choosing to cause harm.

These are not the same things at all.

And please, don't even being to pretend you know how drunk driving has affected my life. You don't have a damn clue what you are talking about and I would urge you *not* to go down this road.

Choosing to drink, and then drive - especially in a day and age when you can call a cab with a tap of a button on your phone - is a choice. You're just making a bad choice, but thats not excused because you were impaired. The defense of alcohol making you make bad decisions is not acceptable excuse. You are putting many more people at risk when making that decisions than you are when assaulting your significant other. They're both despicable acts, but one has potentially much more serious consequences than the other.

That you are even attempting to rationalize drinking and driving speaks volumes.

Reactions: wickedwitch

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
This is literally the most ignorant thing posted in this thread.

No it isn't.

The multiple posts trying to pass off beating up a women as no big deal are far more ignorant.

The moronic idea that his wife is better off staying with this POS so she can live in a nice house is infinitely more ignorant.

Reactions: haveandare

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
f*** Slava! I suspect that was not the first time or the last time he laid a thumping on a woman.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
No it isn't.

The multiple posts trying to pass off beating up a women as no big deal are far more ignorant.

The moronic idea that his wife is better off staying with this POS so she can live in a nice house is infinitely more ignorant.

I dont think theres a single person in this thread that defended his actions. But hey, do you if you think saying that drinking and driving is an 'accident' is ok.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I dont think theres a single person in this thread that defended his actions. But hey, do you if you think saying that drinking and driving is an 'accident' is ok.

Where did I say drinking and driving is an accident?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Driving is something people do every single day. Unfortunately, sometimes people drink too much and think they can drive and tragic, horrible accidents happen. Many people that drive drunk don't think they are drunk and don't think they are making a dangerous choice at all. They don't think they are "choosing to drive drunk" they think they are choosing to drive. That's the root of the problem. Saying they "know the consequence" of that choice is to misunderstand what alcohol does to people. They don't know the consequence, in fact, they don't think they are taking a risk. The alcohol doesn't just impair their ability to drive, it impairs their ability to make a smart choice.

Beating your wife, whether you are drunk or not, is a choice a person makes. Whether you make that choice drunk or sober, you are choosing to assault someone and you are choosing to cause harm.

And please, don't even being to pretend you know how drunk driving has affected my life. You don't have a damn clue what you are talking about and I would urge you *not* to go down this road.

If it has affected you you wouldn’t be defending it as a smart choice. Just like people affected by abuse, etc.

The fact that you’re argument is that alcohol clouds judgement when it comes to driving but not abuse is even more ridiculous. Most rationale people know that after a few beers it’s time to call a cab or an Uber. Hell, they even take it a step further and prepare for it beforehand so they are not in a position to even drive drunk.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
No it isn't.

Who is saying that? And who are you to decide for her? It is a big deal. Everyone agrees that it’s a big deal. But people make mistakes. I just happen to believe that everyone deserves a second chance.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
If it has affected you you wouldn’t be defending it as a smart choice. Just like people affected by abuse, etc.

The fact that you’re argument is that alcohol clouds judgement when it comes to driving but not abuse is even more ridiculous. Most rationale people know that after a few beers it’s time to call a cab or an Uber. Hell, they even take it a step further and prepare for it beforehand so they are not in a position to even drive drunk.

Where on earth did I defend drinking and driving as a smart choice?!?

What an unfathomably stupid thing to say.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Weird that he's so great and "deserves another chance" and yet the season is here and he's not.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...n-domestic-abuse-nhl-return-kings/1217907002/

The NHL is currently investigating this matter and will conclude the investigation at some point probably this month. That's speculation but how long does it take to investigate this sort of thing? I believe he also has a hearing scheduled with the NHL to determine which way their decision goes. In any case I believe it's a 100% guarantee that he will come back as the precedents have been set. Austin Watson got 27 games. Slava Voynov has been suspended for how many games and counting now? I believe there's zero chance that he doesn't play this season based on the precedents that have been set by the NHL on this issue.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
NHL investigating Slava Voynov domestic-abuse case to determine whether he can return

The NHL is currently investigating this matter and will conclude the investigation at some point probably this month. That's speculation but how long does it take to investigate this sort of thing? I believe he also has a hearing scheduled with the NHL to determine which way their decision goes. In any case I believe it's a 100% guarantee that he will come back as the precedents have been set. Austin Watson got 27 games. Slava Voynov has been suspended for how many games and counting now? I believe there's zero chance that he doesn't play this season based on the precedents that have been set by the NHL on this issue.
I hope NYR isn't interested.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I get the argument that DH killed someone but he never tried to do that . It was dumb and he has to live with that . Voynov made a decision to beat his wife there no way around that . DH made a decision to drink and race around and it cause the death of someone . Hell the one fight I started in my life was with a guy that was drinking and driving and killed 2 kids walking home . He has no remorse and laughed about only getting 18 months for it . I also had a cousin that had so many impaired driving charges it was ridiculous . He would just buy beater cars when he got his welfare cheque and drive with no insurance . They need to make buying a car like buying a gun to prevent these idiots from just getting them from anyone . I hate both crimes . I guess if it came right down to it I would rather my daughter beat by her husband then killed by a impaired driver .

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I get the argument that DH killed someone but he never tried to do that . It was dumb and he has to live with that . Voynov made a decision to beat his wife there no way around that. DH made a decision to drink and race around and it cause the death of someone . Hell the one fight I started in my life was with a guy that was drinking and driving and killed 2 kids walking home . He has no remorse and laughed about only getting 18 months for it . I also had a cousin that had so many impaired driving charges it was ridiculous . He would just buy beater cars when he got his welfare cheque and drive with no insurance . They need to make buying a car like buying a gun to prevent these idiots from just getting them from anyone . I hate both crimes . I guess if it came right down to it I would rather my daughter beat by her husband then killed by a impaired driver .

It’s odd that you’re separating driving drunk with “he didn’t mean to” and domestic violence with “he meant to”. To the best of my knowledge, we don’t know what caused Voynov’s domestic violence. But physical domestic abuse can be a crime of passion and without malice aforethought. You can’t prove that Heatley’s drunk driving wasn’t premeditated murder, just like I can’t prove that Voynov’s wasn’t premeditated abuse.

Thankfully, we don’t have to. We get things wrong in the court of public opinion all the time. We jump to conclusions and say things we don’t know.

None of this excuses Voynov’s actions, or Heatley’s actions, or Watson’s actions, or any other criminal’s actions. But I’m saying that it’s possible Voynov wasn’t in his right mind when this occurred. We’ve also agreed as a society that people can be rehabilitated.

There have been a lot of arguments surrounding whether Voynov should be allowed to play in the NHL again. Does this mean that no one with a criminal record should be allowed to resume their previous employment?

All I’m getting at is that we don’t know everything and we never will. You can hate the guy, but if he’s paid his debt to society, why not welcome him back into society? And if you do hate him, is it him specifically or is it all criminals? Should we disallow Watson from ever playing in the NHL again too?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Why are we even talking about the Hartley Snider thing when the NHL just recently set the precedent for DV with the Austin Watson suspension? We don’t need to split hairs over apples and oranges anymore.

Reactions: YP44

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

This is it to me. Driving drunk shows stupidity and poor decision making. Beating your spouse shows maliciousness and the ability to intentionally physically harm the person you are supposed to care about the most. Drinking and driving is stupid. Spousal abuse is evil.

Reactions: FerrisRox

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
this...only Voynov has served well over what Watson received.

True. The US legal system to blame for that. Watson got a deal and plead no contest after pushing his gf in an argument. Voynov was found guilty with no plea, after the investigation found blood in different areas of the house. The NHL suspended both until their trial were over. Watson got probation and not much else, Voynov was found guilty and got jail time and as a Russian, Voynov could have been deported if he did not leave and if that happened he likely would have been denied entrance to the US anyway. Can't play in the NHL if you legally aren't allowed to enter the US.

Watson is an American, they can't kick him out and his plea bargain probably makes it so he can still travel to Canada.

Very different situations, even if at the top level, both were arrested for roughing up their partners.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Choosing to drink, and then drive - especially in a day and age when you can call a cab with a tap of a button on your phone - is a choice. You're just making a bad choice, but thats not excused because you were impaired. The defense of alcohol making you make bad decisions is not acceptable excuse. You are putting many more people at risk when making that decisions than you are when assaulting your significant other. They're both despicable acts, but one has potentially much more serious consequences than the other.

That you are even attempting to rationalize drinking and driving speaks volumes.

I don't think that anyone is trying to rationalize drinking and driving. It is stupid, and you could hurt someone. If you do, you deserve to get nailed to the wall for it. But it still comes down to a stupid choice leading to an accident. Abusing someone isn't an "accident". It's assault.

Reactions: Sasso09

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago

He's clearly not rationalizing drinking and driving. He's saying there's a huge difference between that and beating your wife drunk. I don't know a single person who hasn't at one point in time drove while legally drunk, i've done it more than once in my younger years (not a good decision at all, and to your point.. Uber makes this decision easy to avoid these days). I know of maybe 3 or 4 people personally who have put hands on their wife.

Pointing out the difference isn't trying to rationalize one or the other.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
this...only Voynov has served well over what Watson received.

Yes and No. Watson is being suspended without pay. Voynov was suspended with pay.

Or maybe a better analogy: Watson has been penalized. Voynov was placed on paid administrative leave pending an NHL investigation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad