Skyrim Special Edition - 6 years of arrows to the knees

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
And how many times has that actually garnered anything extraordinary?

The relatively high sales from the Witcher 1 and 2 gave cd projekt the resources to make the brilliance that is the Witcher 3. If Witcher 1 and 2 were financial flops, I really really doubt the Witcher 3 would have ended up as huge and as polished as it did.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
As a newcomer to the Elder Scrolls franchise (Skyrim was my first) and Bethesda in general (Fallout 4 was my first Fallout game), posts like the above really make me want remastered versions of the older ones. Morrowind in particular.

I'm a fan of remastered games, actually. No problem with them whatsoever.

It's just weird to me to see Skyrim as a headliner for 3 conferences at E3 is all, especially when it's been relevant for the past 6 years.

Don't play morrowind unless you have a pc and download the combat mod. The combat is interesting but having the hit luck based while the cpu always gets a hit on you is really really annoying (maybe I'm just doing it wrong) I think you still would have to do side to side attacks but they actually work

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Now, Skyrim is my favorite game of all time. Which is surprising, because before it, I loathed RPGs.
I think the main reason I love it so much is because of the setting. It's beautiful, mountainous, and snowy. The exact kind of environment I would want to live in. While I have full confidence that gameplay-wise, the next Elder Scrolls game will be a huge improvement, I don't know if I'll be able to enjoy it as much as Skyrim if the scenery doesn't match up.

For example, I don't think I would enjoy the Black Marsh, which is unfortunate because it seems to be the likely setting. I would probably only enjoy another snowy/mountainous setting, or Hammerfell since it has the Alik'r desert.

I'm holding out hope, probably irrationally, that the next game will center on the story of the Dwemer.

Meh. Black marsh is like morrowind. Completely untouched by the lore really. Alien looking. It would be cool

I would hate hammerfell unless there's a lot more green areas somehow. The desert is so bland looking. Valenwood would be cool. Giant jungles. Elsweyr would be alright. Bunch of different areas.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Meh. Black marsh is like morrowind. Completely untouched by the lore really. Alien looking. It would be cool

I would hate hammerfell unless there's a lot more green areas somehow. The desert is so bland looking. Valenwood would be cool. Giant jungles. Elsweyr would be alright. Bunch of different areas.

Morrowind was marshy, Oblivion was lush and green and Skyrim was mountainous and wintery. It stands to reason that Bethesda may want to continue that trend and set the next game in a unique biome, rather than return to one that's too similar to what they've already done.

Desert would certainly make it distinct from previous iterations. There's the danger of it being bland, as you said, but there are possibilities besides just dunes and flat ground. They could have canyons (like that one DLC for Fallout: New Vegas), large oases (where things are lush and green, for a nice break), snowy parts (since a lot of deserts are awfully near higher elevation areas that get snow) and even just lands that used to be lush but are experiencing drought. On the other hand, I just realized, a desert biome might make it seem too much like Fallout's world, so maybe they would be afraid of that.

Jungles would be distinct, as well.

There's also the option of just having a world sort of like World of Warcraft's, in which all kinds of biomes are available. You could have desert in one corner of the map, jungle or marsh in another, mountains in another and green hills in another. That's personally what I'd prefer, since I prefer variety, even if it's not terribly realistic. I'm not sure how they'd make that work in their world map, though. It's always puzzled me how they limit their creative options by defining the geography and climate of lands long before they set games in them.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Morrowind was marshy, Oblivion was lush and green and Skyrim was mountainous and wintery. It stands to reason that Bethesda may want to continue that trend and set the next game in a unique biome, rather than return to one that's too similar to what they've already done.

Desert would certainly make it distinct from previous iterations. There's the danger of it being bland, as you said, but there are possibilities besides just dunes and flat ground. They could have canyons (like that one DLC for Fallout: New Vegas), large oases (where things are lush and green, for a nice break), snowy parts (since a lot of deserts are awfully near higher elevation areas that get snow) and even just lands that used to be lush but are experiencing drought. On the other hand, I just realized, a desert biome might make it seem too much like Fallout's world, so maybe they would be afraid of that.

Jungles would be distinct, as well.

There's also the option of just having a world sort of like World of Warcraft's, in which all kinds of biomes are available. You could have desert in one corner of the map, jungle or marsh in another, mountains in another and green hills in another. That's personally what I'd prefer, since I prefer variety, even if it's not terribly realistic. I'm not sure how they'd make that work in their world map, though. It's always puzzled me how they limit their creative options by defining the geography and climate of lands long before they set games in them.

Elsweyr is the only place it could happen. Maybe the other continents but I doubt we go there

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Don't play morrowind unless you have a pc and download the combat mod. The combat is interesting but having the hit luck based while the cpu always gets a hit on you is really really annoying (maybe I'm just doing it wrong) I think you still would have to do side to side attacks but they actually work

There's nothing wrong with the combat, it just uses stat based hit dice which makes it a turn based hybrid. When you swing at an enemy it may visibly appear that you hit them and in Oblivion/Skyrim you do, but in Morrowind/Daggerfall the engine is rolling the dice to see if you land.

People probably get this impression because it's most notable at the beginning when you're character is low level and weak, especially when there's no level scaling anywhere in the game. It's been a long time since I played, but from what I recall there's some caves near the beginning filled with bandits who don't appear that intimidating but are probably around level 10 encounters, so you'd get murdered if you go straight in there... which it seems like everyone who complained about Morrowind did :laugh:... which of course lead us to the Oblivion level scaling system :rant:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How it went from that, to what was presented in Skyrim (basically half a Fighter's Guild, a short Mage Guild questline and only fully fleshing out the Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood factions), it's such a disappointment.

The mage guild questline in Oblivion was surprisingly good.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hoping this game goes on sale for the summer sale on steam in 9 hours. Can pick it up for cheap, I loved Skyrim the first time and never got to play the DLC.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Hoping this game goes on sale for the summer sale on steam in 9 hours. Can pick it up for cheap, I loved Skyrim the first time and never got to play the DLC.

If you played it on steam don't you get the se For free?

All-Star

Jul 14, 2003
Snake Mountain
Visit site
Morrowind's level up system wasn't that much better. One of the first mods I installed was Galsiah's Character Development.
Yep, leveling in Morrowind involved a lot of jumping on the bed while spamming 1 MP spells, and running back and forth between two points. You could do it the old fashioned way, but who wasn't tempted to give themselves a headstart? Plus my games would always end the same way. I'd achieve god mode (ring of permanent levitation) due to a lack of self-control and get bored. Great game though... I must have easily put in 1000 hours into it over the years.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Giving players the ability to create their own spells was just asking for God mode.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah the pre-Skyrim leveling system in TES games wasn't very good, one of those good in theory but poor in practice situations. I mean you could try to play it straight and just go with the flow, but the majority of players aren't going to have the restraint to not try and eventually game the system for optimal results, which requires erratic player behavior.

Also while it let you achieve god-mode I'd rather they stick to the more open magic system pre-Oblivion and just focus on cutting down or making god-mode harder to achieve, rather than just neutering the whole thing. And what's best is if they design the game so that spells like levitation/water breathing/mind control/telekinetic have functional use beyond just killing things. My first character in Oblivion ended up being a complete dud because thinking of Morrowind magic I made a swordsman specialized in the non-combat utility magics, which ended up being completely useless.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I did play a Telekinetic Thief in Skyrim. It was pretty fun. Have silent spells and be nowhere near the object you're attempting to steal.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Desert would certainly make it distinct from previous iterations. There's the danger of it being bland, as you said, but there are possibilities besides just dunes and flat ground. They could have canyons (like that one DLC for Fallout: New Vegas), large oases (where things are lush and green, for a nice break), snowy parts (since a lot of deserts are awfully near higher elevation areas that get snow) and even just lands that used to be lush but are experiencing drought.

Yeah, you can definitely do more with "desert" than just endless sand in every direction.

Every hold in Skyrim has its own flavour. Whiterun is tundra. Markarth is steep canyons. Falkreath is forests. Riften is perpetual Autumn. Morthal is marshes. Solitude is alpine. Only Windhelm is icy mountains, and Winterhold is even icier mountains.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah the pre-Skyrim leveling system in TES games wasn't very good, one of those good in theory but poor in practice situations. I mean you could try to play it straight and just go with the flow, but the majority of players aren't going to have the restraint to not try and eventually game the system for optimal results, which requires erratic player behavior.

A big problem with the Oblivion system is you got significantly weaker compared to the AI as you gained levels unless you planned it out and gamed the system. It really made no sense that the game would punish you for focusing on the skills you wanted.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
A big problem with the Oblivion system is you got significantly weaker compared to the AI as you gained levels unless you planned it out and gamed the system. It really made no sense that the game would punish you for focusing on the skills you wanted.

You basically have to mod the game to tone it down or do one of the full overhauls.

I have one mod that has leveled weapons and armor level up as you do, so you don't have to put quests off just to avoid getting a ****** version of a weapon

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009

Oh yes, I very much remember fighting highway bandits decked out in Daedric and ebony gear. Fun times.

/sarcasm

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Got Skyrim Legendary Edition for PS4. Which mods do I need to know about?

*bump*

I'm particularly interested in mods that improve the appearance of hair/faces/etc. Anything that improves gameplay mechanics, visuals, performance, or adds cool extras that I don't want to miss would be very helpful to know about though.

Thanks in advance!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad