Skyrim Special Edition - 6 years of arrows to the knees

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I was personally a fan of targeting the ground with chain lightning and sending enemies flying into the sky. :laugh:

Great game. We really need another Elder Scrolls.
Indeed. I would love if they did Elsweyr (plains) where the Khajiit are from or Hammerfell (desert) where the Redguard are from. Mountains and snow are cool but this series is very played out in that environment. Even in Oblivion there was a giant snowy area.

Oh and I forgot to mention about conjuring the bows you get 99 arrows for it until it dissipates. So you don't even have to carry arrows either!

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Just bought this game last night. Had played it when it first came out on 360 but nothing since.. I had been an Orc with mostly 2 handed weapons then.

Started up the game and this time I went with Breton and going to be focusing more on magic, I feel like it will be quite harder doing it that way, as before I'd just basically hack and slash like crazy.
I figure I'm going to have to try to be a lot stealthier this time around..

Still haven't tried out any of the mods, but looking forward to playing around with that!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just bought this game last night. Had played it when it first came out on 360 but nothing since.. I had been an Orc with mostly 2 handed weapons then.

Started up the game and this time I went with Breton and going to be focusing more on magic, I feel like it will be quite harder doing it that way, as before I'd just basically hack and slash like crazy.
I figure I'm going to have to try to be a lot stealthier this time around..

Still haven't tried out any of the mods, but looking forward to playing around with that!

On my main playthrough, I would use the tactics of the guild I was doing quests for.

It was kind of a neat challenge, because when I was doing the Mage's Guild quests, I refused to wear armor or use weapons that weren't the "bound" weapons. However, the enemies were leveled up much higher than compared with my skills.

It may already be in the thread somewhere, but there's a great blog by an "illusionist" who refused to use any weapons or use any offensive magic.

An Illusionist in Skyrim: Part 1 | PC Gamer

Definitely worth the read!

Reactions: Smash88

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
On my main playthrough, I would use the tactics of the guild I was doing quests for.

It was kind of a neat challenge, because when I was doing the Mage's Guild quests, I refused to wear armor or use weapons that weren't the "bound" weapons. However, the enemies were leveled up much higher than compared with my skills.

It may already be in the thread somewhere, but there's a great blog by an "illusionist" who refused to use any weapons or use any offensive magic.

An Illusionist in Skyrim: Part 1 | PC Gamer

Definitely worth the read!

Thanks I'll definitely check that out!

I think I'm going to be using offensive spells though.. LOL will be way too hard for me if I don't!

Have already been almost killed a few times just from the stupid wolves..

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Indeed. I would love if they did Elsweyr (plains) where the Khajiit are from or Hammerfell (desert) where the Redguard are from. Mountains and snow are cool but this series is very played out in that environment. Even in Oblivion there was a giant snowy area.

Oh and I forgot to mention about conjuring the bows you get 99 arrows for it until it dissipates. So you don't even have to carry arrows either!

Maybe it's not as necessary now that they have ESO that does all of Tamriel, but for TES VI I was always hoping they'd go bigger and expand it to 2 or more provinces, each one being the size of Skyrim or whatever. So where TES V was set to the backdrop of a civil war, set TES VI to the backdrop of a conflict between full provinces.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To be honest, I always hoped they kept the scale down a bit but invested more time in making sure that your impacts on the world were a bit more obvious.

I get that the game is very open-ended and radiant quests can be done in any order, but sometimes I think they should put a little more effort in showing the player how accomplishing tasks actually changes the game world.

Was there an actual impact of winning the civil war in Skyrim? Why don't the flags on the table change? Why are the camp leaders invincible?

One of my few pet peeves about the game.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Yeah thinking I won't be able to make it through the game by only using magic. Getting killed way too easily because I don't have enough mana.

Thinking I'm going to have to train in one handed and magic.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
To be honest, I always hoped they kept the scale down a bit but invested more time in making sure that your impacts on the world were a bit more obvious.

I get that the game is very open-ended and radiant quests can be done in any order, but sometimes I think they should put a little more effort in showing the player how accomplishing tasks actually changes the game world.

Was there an actual impact of winning the civil war in Skyrim? Why don't the flags on the table change? Why are the camp leaders invincible?

CDmMA_d.jpg

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

To be honest, that never bothered me. These games aren't trying to be Fable or some other game that promises your choices have repercussions. It's just a solid Western fantasy RPG. I really would be happy with just a new location, new story, new quests and updated graphics. A-la Morrowind --> Oblivion --> Skyrim.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To be honest, that never bothered me. These games aren't trying to be Fable or some other game that promises your choices have repercussions. It's just a solid Western fantasy RPG. I really would be happy with just a new location, new story, new quests and updated graphics. A-la Morrowind --> Oblivion --> Skyrim.

I just don't think it would take that much effort.

In Oblivion, it was a nice touch to have the dragon statue in the Temple of the One. Every time I'd walk by it, I'd remember that particular quest and what happened.

But hey, different strokes for different folks.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Don’t remembers anything about flags. Think camps are quest related somewhere maybe and they forgot to turn it off if you won or something?

When you win the city guards are stormcloaks. That’s about it

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Don’t remembers anything about flags. Think camps are quest related somewhere maybe and they forgot to turn it off if you won or something?

When you win the city guards are stormcloaks. That’s about it

There's a war table in a lot of the major halls of the cities in Skyrim.

Each of the cities is represented by a flag of red or blue. As you win the campaign, it would be nice if more of the flags on the table would turn to the colour that you were sided with.

As it stands, even after you win the war, it's the same distribution of flags on the war table.

The camps are post-civil war radiant quests of sorts where you can go to the war camps and slaughter a bunch of soldiers. The leader of each side will point them out after those missions are finished.

The leader of each of the camps is unfortunately invincible so you basically batter him down and then leave. The rest of the camp will respawn so it's sort of an endless way to fight Stormcloaks or Legion. Just found it a bit silly.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I just don't think it would take that much effort.

In Oblivion, it was a nice touch to have the dragon statue in the Temple of the One. Every time I'd walk by it, I'd remember that particular quest and what happened.

But hey, different strokes for different folks.
Oh yeah, that was pretty cool. Oblivion is definitely my favorite of the ES games. I agree with things like that. I was more or less saying your actions changing the story. But like you said banners changing and things like that for the civil war would make sense. I get what you are saying now.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I can't really comment too much on that... as I've never actually gotten into the civil war in my two play throughs! But from what I understand from the modding community the civil war aspect of Skyrim was rushed out the door in an incomplete state, as you can find a lot of unfinished content tucked away in the files.

What I'm getting at though is that Morrowind was a major evolutional upgrade on Daggerfall, but Morrowind -> Oblivion -> Fallout 3 -> Skyrim -> Fallout 4 all followed the Morrowind blueprint with small incremental improvements along the way. I think it's about time we had another big leap forward,especially after seeing The Witcher leap way ahead in the open world RPG genre. And we're probably not going to get a stand alone TES game for each province so why not start combining them?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
What do you think are the chances we get even a hint of the next TES game at E3 this year?

Probably very low. But I won’t say no cause it’s their baby and we haven’t had one for like 7 years now. At this point you can’t use a elder scrolls online excuse (idk who would but people have)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What do you think are the chances we get even a hint of the next TES game at E3 this year?

A lot has been made in the last couple of years that Bethesda has two massive projects before the next TES game.

Geoff Keighley: "Last year Todd was here and broke a little bit of news about multiple projects in the works, including another Elder Scrolls down the road."

Pete Hines: "Down the road down the road. To re-iterate they have at least two major titles they're working on before we're going to get to Elder Scrolls VI. Jeff we gave you that nugget and somehow everyone including your friend and mine Michael Pachter somehow missed it--along with everyone else."

Bethesda hiring spree probably isn't for Elder Scrolls 6

One is supposedly some "Starfield" space-based game and the other is speculated to be "GoT" related IIRC.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I also thoroughly enjoy that Bethesda is embracing single player experiences.

#SavePlayer1

Anyways, with likely 200 hours into Skyrim in various files, I think I found a new place Id never explored before.

Its like a bandit cave bar east of Markarth which Falmer had tunneled into the back of and ransacked.

Also, does anyone have a good player home mod for Xbox? Im looking for one thats well constructed and looks good with lots of armour and weapon storage.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Also, does anyone have a good player home mod for Xbox? Im looking for one thats well constructed and looks good with lots of armour and weapon storage.

Kind of depends on where you want to setup, but for something that's relatively simply but still fully outfitted for organizing everything late game I'd recommend the White River Cottage mod.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
So been rocking this in VR style and about at the point of Bleak Falls Barrow quest, where I haven't picked it up again simply because I know there's the part of the cave with the giant spiders. Real life I can't handle them.

I don't know how I will do this and continue the game. Luckily the game looks like 2008 graphics but you quickly lose that sense playing the game in VR. Things become real very quickly.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Thats an incredible testament to VR and this game.

Maybe turn the difficulty down so you can kill them very easily?

This game is just so good. Id forgotten how much fun it was. I spend my day at work day dreaming about it.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
So been rocking this in VR style and about at the point of Bleak Falls Barrow quest, where I haven't picked it up again simply because I know there's the part of the cave with the giant spiders. Real life I can't handle them.

I don't know how I will do this and continue the game. Luckily the game looks like 2008 graphics but you quickly lose that sense playing the game in VR. Things become real very quickly.

Crap. If I ever get that in VR I will have forgotten about that. Nightmare fuel maybe. Don’t know how the game actually looks until you play it

If you have a kid. Tell them to check it out :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->