Proposal: Skinner to the Oilers for the 9th overall

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
EDIT: NVM, we don't need the #9...er..I mean the #10.
q4JK_f-maxage-0.gif

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The old Skinner concussion ploy. It's an oldie but a goodie. Yeah, he's one hit away from this...

meyers.gif

If the Canes are moving Skinner, it has to be for a player that can help immediately, and not a magic bean that may or may not help in 3 years. Nice try on the 9 pick, but no. At the trade deadline, that might be good value if the Canes are once again out of the hunt, but not now

What player with one season left on his deal and no extension has ever pulled a top ten pick?

Reality is hard.

Reactions: Unsustainable

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No...but how much would you add to Draisaitl for 1OA?

Nothing.

Dahlin projects very well, but I think we can fix our defence without moving Drai. Next year will tell us a lot - will Sekera rebound, will Klefbom rebound, will Lagesson steal a job in camp, how far away is Bear, will Caleb Jones take another step, how close is Berglund after a great season in Sweden, what’s Samoroukov’s ceiling after looking excellent in his short AHL stint - and so on.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Nothing.

Dahlin projects very well, but I think we can fix our defence without moving Drai. Next year will tell us a lot - will Sekera rebound, will Klefbom rebound, will Lagesson steal a job in camp, how far away is Bear, will Caleb Jones take another step, how close is Berglund after a great season in Sweden, what’s Samoroukov’s ceiling after looking excellent in his short AHL stint - and so on.
The problem is what do the Oilers do if like last year, nobody steps up and progresses in their development as hoped?

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Nothing.

Obviously, that's not getting it done. I mean I get it...the price to get 1OAl/Dahlin is going to be steep and anybody paying it is taking a step back at least in the short-term.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The problem is what do the Oilers do if like last year, nobody steps up and progresses in their development as hoped?

At that point I think we consider moving assets like Puljujarvi, 2019 1st, and one of Bear/Jones for a more veteran option.

After the Drouin/Sergachev debacle I doubt anyone is moving a young defenceman with #1 upside for anything less than a king’s ransom, and we’ve already lost too many trades to absorb a trade like Draisaitl++ for Dahlin. Our forwards are paper thin as it is and the free agent class is pretty underwhelming. Even if we did move Drai’s salary there’s nothing available even close to filling what he brings.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
At that point I think we consider moving assets like Puljujarvi, 2019 1st, and one of Bear/Jones for a more veteran option.

After the Drouin/Sergachev debacle I doubt anyone is moving a young defenceman with #1 upside for anything less than a king’s ransom, and we’ve already lost too many trades to absorb a trade like Draisaitl++ for Dahlin. Our forwards are paper thin as it is and the free agent class is pretty underwhelming. Even if we did move Drai’s salary there’s nothing available even close to filling what he brings.
Yeah at this point have to really bank on Klefbom - Larsson getting back to what they were able to do in 2016-2017 if not better, and Nurse, Bear and Jones need to continue to progress.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Yeah at this point have to really bank on Klefbom - Larsson getting back to what they were able to do in 2016-2017 if not better, and Nurse, Bear and Jones need to continue to progress.

Nurse needs to continue to progress? WTF? I wasn't a fan of him before - I called him Smid 2.0 - but he's really solid and reliable.

It's Benning, Russell, Sekera that were the problem last season. They all stalled/regressed. Larsson and Klefbom were just injured or missed time due to family death.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Nurse needs to continue to progress? WTF? I wasn't a fan of him before - I called him Smid 2.0 - but he's really solid and reliable.

It's Benning, Russell, Sekera that were the problem last season. They all stalled/regressed. Larsson and Klefbom were just injured or missed time due to family death.

Where did I criticize Nurse? I just said he needs to continue to progress. He made huge strides last season. He needs to get better because he hasn't yet reached his potential....

Seriously I don't know why you are freaking out at me for just saying he needs to keep the momentum going from last season and grow more.
Calm down

Reactions: TrentonF

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Where did I criticize Nurse? I just said he needs to continue to progress. He made huge strides last season. He needs to get better because he hasn't yet reached his potential....

Seriously I don't know why you are freaking out at me for just saying he needs to keep the momentum going from last season and grow more.
Calm down

Because he could stay the same and I'd be happy. I wouldn't trade Nurse for any D from the Leafs, Isles, Devils etc. (well the bottom 5-10 shots against teams) and I wasn't a fan of his until the last season and half.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Reality? Did you read the part under the image? I didn't poo poo your #10 pick. I mjust stated that the move didn't make sense for the Canes

It makes less sense for the Oilers, and whether or not it makes sense for you guys you have to admit the value is strongly in your favour.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Calm down
Because he could stay the same and I'd be happy. I wouldn't trade Nurse for any D from the Leafs, Isles, Devils etc. (well the bottom 5-10 shots against teams) and I wasn't a fan of his until the last season and half.
I tend to agree with cpsman... Nurse should (hopefully) continue to develop. He hasn't hit his full potential yet. That's not a shot at Nurse. Quite the opposite, really.
Edmonton needs him to get better because we need all the help we can get on the backend. Seriously Voxel, would you be upset if he continued to develop and became a guy who would be in a Norris conversation? That'd be pretty awesome.
He isn't there yet. Might never be. But if he continues to develop... who knows? He is certainly the brightest rising star on D we have right now. That's all I took from cpsman's comment.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Fans bickering about values . LOL . Value is not set by what fans think of a player it is set by the market . If 10 teams are calling about a player it drives up the price . Plain and simple

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
It makes less sense for the Oilers, and whether or not it makes sense for you guys you have to admit the value is strongly in your favour.

Again, I'm not talking value of each asset in a vacuum. I'm talking team needs. This isn't a swap proposal that works for the teams.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

They don't actually have to "step up and progress" to be back in the playoffs. The key players have to simply return to form. All of Klefbom, Sekera and Larsson were hurt for much of the year and Talbot was very off. If Klefbom and Larsson are healthy and Talbot plays like he has for most of his last 5 years this Oiler team as it currently is makes the playoffs. And that is without any progress from a guy like Puljujarvi or a return to form from Lucic. Larsson by the way looked pretty much back to normal in the last part of the season.

Of course we can always play the game of what happens if no one plays well? (What will Vegas be like next year if their players return to normal numbers? ) Then they will be like 80+% of the teams in the league and they will struggle. But that game does not change by adding something for the 10th.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Larsson by the way looked pretty much back to normal in the last part of the season..

Yeah, post return from his extended absence after this father's death (RIP) he looked great like last season.

Lucic.... ugh.

As I've said early in the season.. Oilers and Canes are similar. Great Corsi numbers, shoddy goaltending (Talbot was awful in the first 20 games), lack secondary scoring.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
The oilers should not be in the business of trading away (highish) first round picks. They've got two promising young wingers in Pulju and Yamamoto, but they'll need plenty more quality, cost-controlled players down the line to suit up next to McDavid and Draisaitl. Such is the case when your two best players are eating up a huge portion of your cap-space (not to mention the two 6 million dollar men in Lucic and RNH).

Skinner is a very good player, but he doesn't really fit Edmonton's needs going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad