Proposal: Skinner to the Oilers for the 9th overall

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
No as in aho and the first pick would be the core pieces to the deal other pieces could or would be added to the deal. I see Aho as the only player I would take out of Carolina for the reason of being able to play him with pool party. Not really interested in skinner or Faulk like others

The only way Canes trade Aho is if it starts with Draisaitl. I see McDavid, who is clearly untouchable, and Draisaitl as the only players I would take out of Edmonton. Not really interested in the 1st round pick, RNH or others.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Not even sure value is good for the Oilers, Skinner is a UFA next summer

A approximately 30 goal scorer is worth a mid-late 1st and a good prospect at the deadline just for being a rental. A 9th OA for a full season is probably fair value given that. I don't think it would be the best use of Edmonton's 1st round pick though so I could easily see why they wouldn't want to do it.

And before someone says: "Skinner's not a 30 goal scorer"
1) I said approximately.
2) Jeff Skinner has averaged 29 goals / 82 games through his NHL career.
3) He's had 30+ goals 3 times in his career, including 37 goals just last season.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
That’s about the rental value of Skinner. I don’t think Edmonton would be the one to pay it though. I doubt anyone does before UFA rolls around, where JVR/Kane/Neal can be had for only Cap space.
A top 10 pick is not Skinners value. A 1st that falls 15-31st is

2019 1st, lottery protected is fair to rent Skinner for a season.
No protection is fair

The only way Canes trade Aho is if it starts with Draisaitl. I see McDavid, who is clearly untouchable, and Draisaitl as the only players I would take out of Edmonton. Not really interested in the 1st round pick, RNH or others.
Riiiight. Starts with Draisaitl? LOL
Draisaitl has way more value than Aho.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
A top 10 pick is not Skinners value. A 1st that falls 15-31st is

No protection is fair

Give me Aho over Draisaitl any day. They score at the same rate 5v5 and Aho doesn’t get to spend 48% if his time with McDavid. That is even before considering the contracts or age difference.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not moving a top ten pick for a soft winger with no term after we just traded a comparably soft winger WITH term for Ryan Strome.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Skinner is not soft. Unless by soft you mean bad defensively.

Please let us know more of your opinions about players you clearly don't watch, should make for good entertainment.

I’ve watched Skinner plenty. He’s a good player. He’s not physical, and his concussion history is worrying. He’s not a fit on a Chiarelli team and he’s definitely not worth a top ten pick with so little term left - and you’re dreaming if you think he is.

We just moved Eberle for a much lesser player in the name of cap space. Giving up a top ten pick for what amounts to a one year do-over is not happening.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Been awhile since I’ve heard anyone bring up concussions in a Skinner discussion.

Not much else seems to get through to you, Mr ‘sure a top ten pick is fine value to rent our 6 million dollar winger coming off a sub 50 point season where he was minus infinity’

The value is ‘fine’ for precisely one team in this trade.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I struggle to believe anyone that isn’t a Hurricanes fan actually watches enough of Carolina to accurately comment on the players at an individual level using their own evaluations. Why would anyone subject themselves to watching a bad to mediocre and boring hockey club on a regular basis? I ask myself why I bother sometimes and I’m a fan.

Skinner is soft, in the sense of spinning off checks along the boards and not throwing his weight around on the forecheck. To his credit, he will take the puck to the net on a regular basis. Contrast that with someone like Teravainen, who shies away from contact along the boards, doesn’t throw body checks and doesn’t take the puck to the net on a regular basis. That’s probably the pushback for that comment.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Funny, you didn't get all indignant when an Oiler's fan (who I was responding to with my post) said "Only player out of Carolina for our first round pick starts with Aho" ;)

Aho has way more value than the 9th pick so I expect you'll respond to him with a Riiiight and and LOL, correct?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I struggle to believe anyone that isn’t a Hurricanes fan actually watches enough of Carolina to accurately comment on the players at an individual level using their own evaluations. Why would anyone subject themselves to watching a bad to mediocre and boring hockey club on a regular basis? I ask myself why I bother sometimes and I’m a fan.

Skinner is soft, in the sense of spinning off checks along the boards and not throwing his weight around on the forecheck. To his credit, he will take the puck to the net on a regular basis. Contrast that with someone like Teravainen, who shies away from contact along the boards, doesn’t throw body checks and doesn’t take the puck to the net on a regular basis. That’s probably the pushback for that comment.
Skinner is not a highlight reel goal scorer most of the time, even in his 30 goal seasons. He scores a lot of goals around the net, i.e. places soft players often refuse to go to.

Yes, he's small, he's not a power forward, and he got laid out a few times when he was younger for keeping his head down. But he's not a soft player in the slightest. To suggest he is, is just misunderstood armchair scouting based off of past reputation.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
I’ve watched Skinner plenty. He’s a good player. He’s not physical, and his concussion history is worrying. He’s not a fit on a Chiarelli team and he’s definitely not worth a top ten pick with so little term left - and you’re dreaming if you think he is.

We just moved Eberle for a much lesser player in the name of cap space. Giving up a top ten pick for what amounts to a one year do-over is not happening.

The old Skinner concussion ploy. It's an oldie but a goodie. Yeah, he's one hit away from this...

meyers.gif

If the Canes are moving Skinner, it has to be for a player that can help immediately, and not a magic bean that may or may not help in 3 years. Nice try on the 9 pick, but no. At the trade deadline, that might be good value if the Canes are once again out of the hunt, but not now

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Funny, you didn't get all indignant when an Oiler's fan (who I was responding to with my post) said "Only player out of Carolina for our first round pick starts with Aho" ;)

Aho has way more value than the 9th pick so I expect you'll respond to him with a Riiiight and and LOL, correct?
Sorry, there just isn't enough time to respond to all the stupidity in the thread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad