Value of: SJ Timo Meier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
When was the last time a player like Meier was available at the deadline? I am genuinely curious. First line, 40+ goal scorer, regular NHLer in their prime without any NTC/NMC contingencies, looking to sign a long term extension with a club. I bet you won’t find anyone with all of these boxes checked unless you go back to the 90s. (I am ready to be fully wrong with this lol).

Point is, it is laughable to consider prospects “untouchable.“ It’s just a negotiation tactic. Realistically there are zero prospects “off the table” when an elite player with all of the above attributes is available and your team is making a cup run. This overvaluation of prospects is wild. I say the same thing about the Sharks top prospects too. Not that I’m saying trade your prospects for current top players but to have them completely off the table is silly
If we're talking strictly trade deadline Mark Stone was the same age and a much more impactful player when he was traded to Vegas. Offseason wise we've seen Debrincat, Fiala and Tkachuk traded during their primes without any NMC/NTC just this offseason. There's 0 precedent that a player of Meier's caliber should bring back a Simon Nemec/Dawson Mercer or a Alexander Nikishin/Seth Jarvis.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Mark stone meh. The dude is a good player but gets way to overhyped for some reason. Never broke 30 goals before being traded and then never managed to stay healthy.
Mark Stone was over PPG and one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL. He was easily a better player than Meier is today. Even a healthy Mark Stone right now is a more impactful player than Meier.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
When was the last time a player like Meier was available at the deadline? I am genuinely curious. First line, 40+ goal scorer, regular NHLer in their prime without any NTC/NMC contingencies, looking to sign a long term extension with a club. I bet you won’t find anyone with all of these boxes checked unless you go back to the 90s. (I am ready to be fully wrong with this lol).

Point is, it is laughable to consider prospects “untouchable.“ It’s just a negotiation tactic. Realistically there are zero prospects “off the table” when an elite player with all of the above attributes is available and your team is making a cup run. This overvaluation of prospects is wild. I say the same thing about the Sharks top prospects too. Not that I’m saying trade your prospects for current top players but to have them completely off the table is silly
Kovalchuk was not too shabby. Look up that trwde if you want to see an underwhelming return. Not sure why it’s trwde deadline exclusive for comparisons. Hall Stone Fiala Debrincat Tkachuk Horvat , JT Miller back a few years , just players off the top of my head. Yes Meier is a stud but let’s not pretend like he is the biggest name since 1990 that has been traded.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
NJ basically doesn't want to give up anyone but quantity for quality and sharks don't want to budge on Meier if they don't get quality. Soooo I propose :

New Jersey gets: nobody and f*** off

Sharks get : trade meier to Carolina for massive confirmed dunden overpay of nikishin + 1st + 2nd
Im guessing Carolinas last offer will be Morrow, 1st, 2nd, and an AHL forward (Rees, Pono, Drury, Suzuki, or another.)

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Thats not all in then. Pretty noticeable drop off between assets like that
The New Jersey fan is misquoting our owner, Dundon (I don't blame him since it's not his team; he can be forgiven).

Dundon said something close to the effect of: this is probably the most aggressive we've ever been because we've lost the past four years (meaning the playoffs of course). Dundon pointed out all of the assets, futures, and cap space we have as well.

Aggressive is the more accurate word, and not "all in." Dundon NEVER said all in, and I watched his whole interview with Seravalli. Maybe some fans are assuming that from the way some in the media framed it for more clicks and hype, etc.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Thats not all in then. Pretty noticeable drop off between assets like that
There's a significant drop off after Jarvis, but Carolina isn't trading a roster player.

There isn't much drop off between Morrow and Nikishin, just a question of preferring a defensive LHD vs an offensive RHD.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
There's a significant drop off after Jarvis, but Carolina isn't trading a roster player.

There isn't much drop off between Morrow and Nikishin, just a question of preferring a defensive LHD vs an offensive RHD.
Supporting that is a recent prospects list (from about 2 weeks ago iirc) with them ranked at 39 and 40 out of all NHL prospects.

Right off hand, I can't remember who made the list, but it's a respected/legit person.

Reactions: Chrispy

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Mark Stone for sure. Taylor Hall got shipped a couple of months before the deadline.

Recently these guys have been moved in the off season (Fiala, Debrincat)
Stone's a good comparison. Hall had a NMC

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Kovalchuk was not too shabby. Look up that trwde if you want to see an underwhelming return. Not sure why it’s trwde deadline exclusive for comparisons. Hall Stone Fiala Debrincat Tkachuk Horvat , JT Miller back a few years , just players off the top of my head. Yes Meier is a stud but let’s not pretend like he is the biggest name since 1990 that has been traded.
"Not sure why it’s trwde deadline exclusive for comparisons"
Because I want it to be? It didn't stop you from listing a bunch of guys traded in the offseason though
I was careful to word it so it wouldn't get blown out of proportion, I am not implying that he's the biggest name since 1990 that has been traded. I was much more specific. Trade deadline exclusive because you also now have teams who are in the mix due to injury, etc. and teams are more willing

He didn't with the devils
Really? I could have sworn... Well apologies then. Yeah that's not only comparable, Hall coming off that MVP year definitely had more value than Meier right now.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
If St Louis never had their own pick on the table, those two picks were never a thingies was to StL fanz

Mark Stone was over PPG and one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL. He was easily a better player than Meier is today. Even a healthy Mark Stone right now is a more impactful player than Meier.
Perfect, I'm interested in TM not MS

Reactions: Devilsfan118

ParksnRec

Feb 26, 2023
Mark Stone, the only man to go PPG once in ten years and be heralded for it.

Stone cant hold Meier's jockstrap offensively and Stone is useless injured constantly

Vegas will win nothing with him just as Ottawa didnt, hes overrated as shit because of people like you making claims hes a PPG player

Stone hasnt been a somebody since before covid. Keep up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad