GDT: SJ Sharks at Ottawa Senators - 4PM EST - TSN5 / RDS2 - The Empire Scores Back - Episode V

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
We won, which is awesome. It was a fairly methodical win, which is even better.

I think our whole defence has talent, but outside of zub and sandy they all need babysitters and solid systems to make them succesful. That's still the biggest issue with this team in my mind.

It's the systems and it's the pairing mix.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Zub is almost 0.5 PPG being great defensively, and +3. On the other hand Brannstrom is +6. And Tarasenko is +10...

Btw why doesn't Bernard-Docker play? Wasn't he good defensively?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Zub is almost 0.5 PPG being great defensively, and +3. On the other hand Brannstrom is +6. And Tarasenko is +10...

Btw why doesn't Bernard-Docker play? Wasn't he good defensively?
Sure, but he was a turnover machine in our end.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Hey, I watched the game!

the Vlasic goal, was Chychrun and Stü screwing up not Batherson.

The Lebanc goal he had just stepped on the ice as Greig came off and they scored. He had absolutely nothing to do with it or the play that led to it.

He and I think it was tank combined to miss the clear on the late goal, so I guess you can blame him there
On the Vlasic goal Stu didn't backcheck at all and Batherson just coasted back. On the LeBlanc goal Tarasenko out of position down by the goal, Stu dives to try and take away the pass and misses and Batherson up at the blueline as he just got on. On the Zadina goal Batherson has the puck in his corner and rather go behind his net to Chychrun ( the safe play) throws a buck up along the boards Tarasenko swats at it. SJ turns it over at the blueline and within seconds it's in the back of the net.
So the Stutzle, Tarasenko Batherson line were on for 4 goals and 3 against. And yet those guys were stars of the game.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
On the Vlasic goal Stu didn't backcheck at all and Batherson just coasted back. On the LeBlanc goal Tarasenko out of position down by the goal, Stu dives to try and take away the pass and misses and Batherson up at the blueline as he just got on. On the Zadina goal Batherson has the puck in his corner and rather go behind his net to Chychrun ( the safe play) throws a buck up along the boards Tarasenko swats at it. SJ turns it over at the blueline and within seconds it's in the back of the net.
So the Stutzle, Tarasenko Batherson line were on for 4 goals and 3 against. And yet those guys were stars of the game.
You keep pointing out his linemates, the original statement was Batherson had a good game. On those three goals, only the Zadina one could he have affected, , even then, he did get the puck to Tank who failed to clear. Putting to Chychrun would have been a bit safer as the puck is going behind the net, but there was a SJ forechecker right there to jump on Chych if he did.

So three goals, one in which he played any legitimate role in, and even there blame is shared

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
You keep pointing out his linemates, the original statement was Batherson had a good game. On those three goals, only the Zadina one could he have affected, , even then, he did get the puck to Tank who failed to clear. Putting to Chychrun would have been a bit safer as the puck is going behind the net, but there was a SJ forechecker right there to jump on Chych if he did.

So three goals, one in which he played any legitimate role in, and even there blame is shared
He could have been involved in stopping the first goal if he actually tried skating hard back rather than coasting and he certainly screwed up on the third goal. But for many people because he had a great offensive game that means he had a great game. But besides those two things I mentioned I saw a bunch of other times on D where he didn't work hard enough to stop a SJ player or get the puck back. My point was that he had a below average defensive game yet people ignore that. And that poor defensive play is exactly what is wrong with the team.

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
Very fortunate that game winner didn't get called back. I feel like we would have lost in overtime. Nice to get a win though.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
1000055271.gif

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Yes we won, but to be tied with the worst team in the league with 4 minutes to play in the 3rd period is embarrassing.

The Sens were the better team, no question. But the defensive breakdowns are incredibly bad. On each of San Jose's goals, they had a player wide open. No team allows this to happen as much as the Sens do.

This team is so far away from playoff hockey. Can you imagine this team in the first round? They would be absolutely murdered 4 straight.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Very fortunate that game winner didn't get called back. I feel like we would have lost in overtime. Nice to get a win though.
Why would it be called back? It was a physical battle and his own player brushed him.

Goalie was shocked they were reviewing it.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You're right but people look at the shot count and forget every single goal was a prime scoring chance. Like yeah you'd like for Korpi to make a highlight reel save on one of those but he doesn't deserve to get the blame for the score being so close.
I disagree with that. People look at a goalie and have an expectation that they make some saves now and again. I fully understand that you can't be giving up high quality chances but I think the season and yesterday's game tilt more towards weak goaltending

xGA yesterday 2.17
Using the hockey abstract definition, that was a "really bad start" = sv% less than .85

The Vlasic goal though was laziness on our end. Can't have that.

All good, as long as they don't look at how Tarasenko plays without the puck. This quote needs to come from Giroux
Tarasenko is plus 10 on the year. 2nd best on the team.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He could have been involved in stopping the first goal if he actually tried skating hard back rather than coasting and he certainly screwed up on the third goal. But for many people because he had a great offensive game that means he had a great game. But besides those two things I mentioned I saw a bunch of other times on D where he didn't work hard enough to stop a SJ player or get the puck back. My point was that he had a below average defensive game yet people ignore that. And that poor defensive play is exactly what is wrong with the team.

This team definitely has one hell of a lot of work to do defensively.

But, for now I'll take the win. Can't have the kids lose every game. That doesn't help things. But it's one more evaluation point for the organization to pinpoint what needs fixin' round here.

Reactions: DueDiligence

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
he could have been involved in the first goal if he did somebody else's job, when you start asking guys to do that you no longer have a system you have a mess. If that's the type of poor defensive play you think he had it's hard to take your evaluation seriously,

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Just watched the replay of the first SJ goal... Chychrun tried to one hand push the puck up the boards past two SJ players on the wall, with a third incoming.

What should have been a simple out leads to a goal because Chychrun can't keep two hands on his stick.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Unfortunately would have been a loss against any other team in the league but hey like they say 2 pts is

Just watched the replay of the first SJ goal... Chychrun tried to one hand push the puck up the boards past two SJ players on the wall, with a third incoming.

What should have been a simple out leads to a goal because Chychrun can't keep two hands on his stick.
And I think that was after chabot failed to clear on the other side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad