GDT: SJ Sharks at Ottawa Senators - 4PM EST - TSN5 / RDS2 - The Empire Scores Back - Episode V

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Can't believe they have not scored more goals. Blackwood has been good but shooting accuracy isn't our friend

Imagine Batherson on a team like Colorado...

I knew Tarasenko would frustrate me...

Trade Tarasenko, Kubalik (and Hamonic if possible) ASAP IMO
TDL is coming soon.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Worth listening to Tank's interview

"I think its a consistency thing where you don't try to win by making high light reel plays everytime. Stay on the plan. Trust the plan and just grind it over again and again . I feel like this was the mentality today. .. If we stay consistent I believe we can have a lot of success"

"Have to learn how to get excited about simple plays"

Lots of quotable stuff in there.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

I really liked Zub and Sanderson's game tonight.
That pair was really good for us earlier in the year.
Hopefully its a sign going forward.

Chabot and Chychrun still isn't working no matter who plays their off side
Chabot and Chychrun should not be paired together. Only worse pairing imaginable is Chychrun- Hamonic which we’ve seen… and it is unbelievably bad.

I have said before that I think they should have Sanderson on his right side and pair him with either Chabot or Chychrun.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Chabot and Chychrun should not be paired together. Only worse pairing imaginable is Chychrun- Hamonic which we’ve seen… and it is unbelievably bad.

I have said before that I think they should have Sanderson on his right side and pair him with either Chabot or Chychrun.
I hear you but to me it seems like Sanderson and Zub are the only good pair we have and when we break them up it may prop someone else up but it brings them down so we end up with just another pair... Our D needs a serious upgrade.

Reactions: Cosmix

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I absolutely love this quote.

There is joy to be found in executing the fundamentals of any skilled task. The feeling that comes with knowing your effort will eventually yield the results you know you're capable of achieving.

I think this is fundamental for this team right now

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't understand how they can play Hamonic over JBD... I mean, are they forced to respect the veteran chosen by the past GM at this point? They are worlds apart in raw and advanced stats

We simply get destroyed when Hamonic is on the ice. He's a warrior, a NHL vet and probably liked in the room but we have to think about our future right now.

Only one goal out of the 4 would I consider weak, and he was screened by Chabot. The other ones were all due to defensive breakdowns.

1st GA : unnecessary give aways, not exiting the zone, Sharks were able to set up for a Duclair one timer. I have seen people blame Chabot for screening but that play happened really quickly. Shit happens when you don't do the right thing... UNPROVOKED turn overs are not going to help you. Chychrun the main culprit on that goal, very little blame for Korpi

2nd GA : nothing the goalie could do here. Chychrun forcing another play created that odd-men rush. Pretty nice passing play by the Sharks though

3rd GA : pretty clear that Hamonic is not NHL caliber anymore, destroyed any defensive structure we could have had by himself. Tarasenko also useless as usual

4th GA : I don't know if people think this was a routine save but a point blank one timer is not an easy stop lol. Batherson did his job but Tarasenko has to be HARDER on the puck here, not just a soft little redirection. Stutzle also flew away instead of boxing which created the one time shot. Sharks did a great job here

I don't think any of the GA were weak. Even the first one was a one timer from a very good scoring spot (it's much closer than people think on TV) on a broken play from a turnover.

Chychrun, Hamonic and Tarasenko have been terrible on the goals against. By the way, I don't even recognize Chychrun anymore, looks like we broke him :help:

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL and DrEasy

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I don't understand how they can play Hamonic over JBD... I mean, are they forced to respect the veteran chosen by the past GM at this point? They are worlds apart in raw and advanced stats

We simply get destroyed when Hamonic is on the ice. He's a warrior, a NHL vet and probably like in the room but we have to think about our future right now.

1st GA : unnecessary give aways, not exiting the zone, Sharks were able to set up for a Duclair one timer. I have seen people blame Chabot for screening but that play happened really quickly. Shit happens when you don't do the right thing... UNPROVOKED turn overs are not going to help you. Chychrun the main culprit on that goal, very little blame for Korpi

2nd GA : nothing the goalie could do here. Chychrun forcing another play created that odd-men rush. Pretty nice passing play by the Sharks though

3rd GA : pretty clear that Hamonic is not NHL caliber anymore, destroyed any defensive structure we could have had by himself. Tarasenko also useless as usual

4th GA : I don't know if people think this was a routine save but a point blank one timer is not an easy stop lol. Batherson did his job but Tarasenko has to be HARDER on the puck here, not just a soft little redirection. Stutzle also flew away instead of boxing which created the one time shot. Sharks did a great job here

I don't think any of the GA were weak. Even the first one was a one timer from a very good scoring spot (it's much closer than people think on TV) on a broken play from a turnover.

Chychrun, Hamonic and Tarasenko have been terrible on the goals against. By the way, I don't even recognize Chychrun anymore, looks like we broke him :help:

You're right but people look at the shot count and forget every single goal was a prime scoring chance. Like yeah you'd like for Korpi to make a highlight reel save on one of those but he doesn't deserve to get the blame for the score being so close.

Reactions: LiseL and Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Worth listening to Tank's interview

"I think its a consistency thing where you don't try to win by making high light reel plays everytime. Stay on the plan. Trust the plan and just grind it over again and again . I feel like this was the mentality today. .. If we stay consistent I believe we can have a lot of success"

Lots of quotable stuff in there.

All good, as long as they don't look at how Tarasenko plays without the puck. This quote needs to come from Giroux

Korpi is just another Pascal L'éclaire type bust

Leclaire was pretty damn good, just broken by injuries, like Matt Murray. It's a very tough position, you need to be made in Titanium

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Batherson didn't get enough on it to clear, but his attempt was of the off the glass and out variety. Tank tried to help it along by batting it mid air, because it was a foot or two off the ice, I have a hard time blaming tank on that.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, it looked like one of our earlier games.

Good job at keeping the Sharks from creating any offence for long stretches, but at key points in the game, the same old same old.

That last goal with Chabot and Chychrun just standing there. How is that still a pairing?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
33 points in 38 games and only -2 on this team at 5 AAV is solid
This team as a whole is only -4 at 5v5, so -2 is at best about expected. The big issue with the team has been special teams, and the type of goals we allow (self inflicted). Batherson doesn't get any claim for the PK, but the pp needs to be better.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

We simply get destroyed when Hamonic is on the ice. He's a warrior, a NHL vet and probably like in the room but we have to think about our future right now.

True, but I think it's more of case that people are saying that Korpisalo couldn't see the puck versus blaming the goalie. Nuance can have benefits over oversimplification.

On the 4th goal, that was a shot from the slot (aka high danger zone) that went over Korpisalo's shoulder.

I agree with your conclusion (bolded text 2nd paragraph from bottom).

Reactions: Xspyrit

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Well, it looked like one of our earlier games.

Good job at keeping the Sharks from creating any offence for long stretches, but at key points in the game, the same old same old.

That last goal with Chabot and Chychrun just standing there. How is that still a pairing?

Because we were playing the Sharks yeah.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'd be very weary to sign Chychrun long term. His defensive IQ is really suspect

He’s like a Chabot clone.

1705195285803.png

Defensefirst

Nov 6, 2022
In Korpi's defence (this goal only), SJ could not have asked for a better full-on screen than Chabot gave them on that goal.
Thomas "The Flamingo" Chabot. Hasn't blocked a shot ever..just get out of the way and let the goaler see the shot.

Reactions: Alex1234

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
This team as a whole is only -4 at 5v5, so -2 is at best about expected. The big issue with the team has been special teams, and the type of goals we allow (self inflicted). Batherson doesn't get any claim for the PK, but the pp needs to be better.
Absolutely
But he comes back from hell in the +- department so at least that's that
PK is atrocious like Vancouver PK last season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad