Confirmed with Link: [SJ/NYR] James Sheppard to the Rangers for a 4th (2016) + 100k salary retained

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
big rangers fan here! just wondering what type of play this guy is? forward wise, we were just trying to solidify our bottom 6.. anything you guys can tell me is greatly appreciated!

He's got solid puck possession skills in general. Good along the boards, etc. Not much of a producer-- more of a playmaker than scorer-- but that might change in NY.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
choking against the kings? crazy things happen
missing the playoffs? it's a rebuilding year, whatever

but now you're going to take away the lulz I get every time I seethe Commander Sheppard pics in our GDTs?

that's the last straw for me

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Really? I didn't notice but also didn't pay close attention. He was good bottom 6er but too inconsistent.

I swear he was particularly lackadaisical lately whenever he was on the 4th line or not doing center duty. That's my impression of it anyways. I'll be the first to admit that my hockey eyes aren't the greatest.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I thought it was a bad trade just getting a 4th in the 2016 draft... Then we are also retaining salary?

Seriously, what the **** is this ****?!

Well, Sheppard is a 4th liner on a playoff team and they're only retaining 100k for the rest of this season. They likely weren't going to get much for him and there may not have been very many interested teams. They got something for him which is all that really counts at this stage.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
So ......... DW is gonna trade all the wrong guys then it seems?

Sheppard was part of the solution. Not the problem. They had literally 2 players who played hard, threw the body around and back-checked well. Now they have 1.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
big rangers fan here! just wondering what type of play this guy is? forward wise, we were just trying to solidify our bottom 6.. anything you guys can tell me is greatly appreciated!

Real good 4th liner/bad 3rd liner. Not a fighter but he's surprisingly physical. Can protect the puck along the boards and get his linemates involved, but don't expect a ton of skill just because he was a high draft pick. I would have been totally fine with re-signing him for whatever that's worth.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
So ......... DW is gonna trade all the wrong guys then it seems?

Sheppard was part of the solution. Not the problem. They had literally 2 players who played hard, threw the body around and back-checked well. Now they have 1.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I think the thing with moving him so Hertl can play C is not as much as it was impossible to play Hertl at C with Sheppard but since Shep sucked at wing it was Hertl at W and Shep at C > Hertl at C Shep at W

I mean im just throwing it out if that is in fact true that its so Hertl can get time at center

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think the thing with moving him so Hertl can play C is not as much as it was impossible to play Hertl at C with Sheppard but since Shep sucked at wing it was Hertl at W and Shep at C > Hertl at C Shep at W

I mean im just throwing it out if that is in fact true that its so Hertl can get time at center

Hertl could have or would have gotten time at center regardless of Sheppard's status. They may publicly state that as the reason but that's just bs.

HipCzech

Just win the game
Mar 25, 2004
Overpriced Bay
He could have had more? Do you think DW only called one team? You don't think he reached out to every single team?

Listen here "mod", that's not the way we do things around here. The correct response is Fire DW. You better step in line or I'll get a global mod to ban you.

Real reply: I think he got enough points this year, with the soft UFA market, that he we get a decent amount as a UFA. Someone posted the comps earlier in the year.

EDIT: Just saw the Hertl center discussion. I think it's pretty obvious whoever told Kurz that was talking about NEXT year. I thought it was well known on here that Sheppard didn't play wing that well compared to center.

Last edited:

MrCowGod15

Feb 6, 2007
I was concerned when I saw that we retained salary. Now that I know it's only $100k, I'd say this is as good of a move that we can get for Shep. Definitely hoping for some better action tomorrow.

MardocAgain

Apr 10, 2012
I thought it was a bad trade just getting a 4th in the 2016 draft... Then we are also retaining salary?

Seriously, what the **** is this ****?!

I cannot possibly fathom why retaining salary would matter to anyone. It's $100K for the rest of this year and we have a TON of capspace.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Thought i read somewhere that Wilson waived Burish so TMac would stop playing him over other/better players. Should be a sufficient answer.

I've heard people speculate about it being some sorta Money Ball Billy Bean situation but I've also heard that dismissed by pretty much everyone involved. I think they got what they could for Shep cuz they decided he wasn't in their future plans Hertl is their future plan hence the justification.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Wasn't Hertl already playing center?

And if it was a money ball situation, he would've dumped Hannan too a long time ago with how he pumped up Mueller this past summer.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia

I always noticed Sheppard is good at not being near the direct cause of a goal-against. (Double-edged sword)

Like others mentioned, he drives the boards and locks up the puck long enough for top-6 to rest on the bench.

Was slow to adapt on arrival in SJ; now puts in 100% effort even when others are coasting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad