Confirmed with Link: [SJ/DAL] Demers ~35% salary retained + 3rd in 2016 for Dillon

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Having some time to digest this trade, I really do like it. We paid a premium, but DW has always been willing to pay what's needed to get what's needed. Dillon is going to be great on this team.

I do really like Demers and feel he was never given a fair shake, but he need the change of scenery. Dillon is bigger and more mobile. I don't think he's as good offensively or at breakouts, but the dropoff offensively isn't significant and he won't turn the puck over as much as Demers.

Whatever way you pair them, Vlasic/Burns/Braun/Dillon is a highly mobile top-4. Burns/Dillon are massive physical specimens and can handle forward in the league physically; Vlasic/Braun are the brains and are as good positionally as anyone. All 4 can move the puck well enough to maintain quality possession.

Mueller is now on the bottom pairing where he belongs and can play weaker competition, which will be better for the team and for his development, most likely. Kicking Hannan/Irwin to the curb and hopefully plugging in Tennyson gives the Sharks a decent enough bottom pairing that's also highly mobile.

Although our defense can almost certainly still improve, this one move has let a few pieces fall into place and has solidified the defense a little more.
Well said. Past this season, I don't think Mueller will be on the bottom pairing. Just watching him play, I see enormous potential. I could see him hitting a Vlasic level (little more intensity and offence, but not quite as collected defensively [still very good though]). Not trying to place huge expectations on him, but I see that as a ceiling that's within the realm of reason. We've got a pretty good defence on paper, I have to admit. Once Goldobin cracks the lineup, we could be pretty solid all around.

Hertl - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau - Couture - Wingels
Nieto - Tierney - Goldobin
Sheppard - Desjardins/Hamilton - Goodrow
McGinn

Vlasic - Braun
Mueller - Burns
Dillon - Tennyson

I think we're well set up for a couple years. Obviously lines and pairings will change, I'm just giving a general idea of what I'd like to see next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad