Confirmed with Link: [SJ/DAL] Demers ~35% salary retained + 3rd in 2016 for Dillon

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I know a lot of folks seem to be in love with Dillon. Just remember that not too long ago folks were saying Irwin was a reliable 5-6 defenseman with Top-4 potential, and Petrecki was the Sharks best prospect, and a lot of similar statements with past defensemen. Dillon has had one good year, one ok year, and a so far pretty "blah" season so far. He's not a proven top-4 defenseman yet. He's at least as much of a gamble as Demers was.

Even if Dillon turns out to be a bigger, more mobile Hannan (in his prime), the Sharks may still regret this trade. Demers could easily turn into the next Ehrhoff. The top-4 mobile D that the Sharks gave away for very little.

Not predicting, just saying. :)

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
we will have to see how he does with "better" partners.

Last year Dillon was #34 in the league in Corsi QoC - sandwiched in between Bouwmeester and Butler - and was in the 80's in Corsi Rel and Corsi On which from a simplistic perspective mathematically aligns with a low #3. Do you care to explain your rationale for thinking he may be a #5-#6?

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Last year Dillon was #34 in the league in Corsi QoC - sandwiched in between Bouwmeester and Butler - and was in the 80's in Corsi Rel and Corsi On which from a simplistic perspective mathematically aligns with a low #3. Do you care to explain your rationale for thinking he may be a #5-#6?

i already stated my reason... go look for it.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
i already stated my reason... go look for it.

If "gut feeling" is your stated reason, sorry - but that is not a reason. That is speculation based on nothing, which is largely invalidated buy the player's demonstrated performance in the NHL.

It is rich that you challenged the opinion of other posters asking for proof while providing literally nothing of the sort to support your argument.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Your gut feeling on a player you've barely seen play doesn't really seem remotely significant compared to the other testimonies in this thread, sorry.

If "gut feeling" is your stated reason, sorry - but that is not a reason. That is speculation based on nothing, which is largely invalidated buy the player's demonstrated performance in the NHL.

It is rich that you challenged the opinion of other posters asking for proof while providing literally nothing of the sort to support your argument.

my gut feeling equates to the fact that i have not seen him play that much and some other items i just am not disclosing at this time.

i'm am ok with us disagreeing here, and as i've said i hope i'm wrong.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Having some time to digest this trade, I really do like it. We paid a premium, but DW has always been willing to pay what's needed to get what's needed. Dillon is going to be great on this team.

I do really like Demers and feel he was never given a fair shake, but he need the change of scenery. Dillon is bigger and more mobile. I don't think he's as good offensively or at breakouts, but the dropoff offensively isn't significant and he won't turn the puck over as much as Demers.

Whatever way you pair them, Vlasic/Burns/Braun/Dillon is a highly mobile top-4. Burns/Dillon are massive physical specimens and can handle forward in the league physically; Vlasic/Braun are the brains and are as good positionally as anyone. All 4 can move the puck well enough to maintain quality possession.

Mueller is now on the bottom pairing where he belongs and can play weaker competition, which will be better for the team and for his development, most likely. Kicking Hannan/Irwin to the curb and hopefully plugging in Tennyson gives the Sharks a decent enough bottom pairing that's also highly mobile.

Although our defense can almost certainly still improve, this one move has let a few pieces fall into place and has solidified the defense a little more.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Demers is listed at 6.01' 195lbs
Ehrhoff is listed at 6.02' 196lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWUgd3VXars
IMO, the physical difference is their skating where Ehrhoff is way out front. Demers is elusive but he is slow. Part of Boyle's dropoff was his skating where he was getting slower. Dillon is definitely faster than Demers and by a bit.

For others,
Also, skating the puck up is nice but passing and vision is really the test for offensive dmen. Braun can skate it up if he wants to but he doesn't and Vlasic rarely does. Both Braun and Vlasic are fast as dmen go.

VP&GM,
I have some reservations on Dillon. The largest one is that the Dallas system has not cranked them out at all really, at least not quality guys. Ruff also has a track record for not doing well developing dmen. I am in wait and see mode. His advanced stats do look good.

BigWillie,
Paying a premium for players is something that hurts DW. It decrements lower line/lower pairing skill and is part of the source of Sharks' depth issues.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
And Dillon wasn't developed by Ruff. Mainly Willie Desjardins (Very good coach) is responsible for that I believe.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Watching Dillon up to this point, he definitely has shown more speed than Demers. Looking at each with recent stats:

Dillon is -5 with no goals, assists, or points, no pims, and 4 shots.
Demers is -3, with one goal, one assists, and two points, 4 pims, and 7 shots.

Time will tell, but I have to say that so far, neither are making any kind of a statement of which team had the better end of the trade yet.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Watching Dillon up to this point, he definitely has shown more speed than Demers. Looking at each with recent stats:

Time will tell, but I have to say that so far, neither are making any kind of a statement of which team had the better end of the trade yet.

That wouldn't be a good thing if that continues on considering the price tag but we're still way early in the ball game on that one.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!

I have not checked, but im sure Dillion has more hits and blocks that Demers post trade, this is a big reason we got him. I saw the -5 stat also but want to see how he does with more games, it also appears tmac is trying to determine a good partner for him right now.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Dillon's minuses are almost all a result of playing with Burns, who can't do jack squat without the puck in the defensive zone.

Vlasic-Burns
Dillon-Braun

Would be a much better distribution of assets.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Dillon's minuses are almost all a result of playing with Burns, who can't do jack squat without the puck in the defensive zone.

Vlasic-Burns
Dillon-Braun

Would be a much better distribution of assets.

MUCH better. Vlasic and Braun are pretty similar players (very good defensively, fast, decent at moving the puck), and Burns and Dillon have similarities as well (physical, can shoot the puck), and I personally think have some of each on both pairs would balance out the top 4 better. Vlasic sorting out Burns' brain farts would be welcomed as well.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
They've only had one game, but what did y'all think of Mueller - Tenny?

I really didn't notice them much so that's usually a good sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad