SITE MIGRATION NOTICE (please read) & other related talk about format

Has the new layout of HFBoards resulted in you visiting less?

• Yes

Votes: 154 54.8%
  • No

Votes: 127 45.2%

• Total voters

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The new layout is more polished, but still prone to crashing servers come heavy times.. unreliable IMO

like i said. if the choice is
having a website that looks like it's the year 2018, having likes, and all the other stuff.

vs.
having the boards as they were before, and NOT having crashing servers during you know. actual hockey events when you really want to talk to people, i vote that board.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I'll gladly do that if they get the server working well enough it doesn't crash when important things happen (aka this years draft night experience).

Well, of course, if everyone is using Ad Blocker which devalues ad revenue and they don't become sponsors, where do you expect them to get the funds to improve the servers?

Reactions: OddyOh

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
I visited hfboards much less since the migration, but some guy wearing No. 91 changed that.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Well, of course, if everyone is using Ad Blocker which devalues ad revenue and they don't become sponsors, where do you expect them to get the funds to improve the servers? s
Not our problem. We're the consumer, not the business owner.
They're owned by a multi million dollar company. They can figure it out.

Reactions: dsred

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

I suppose. It actually might make the most sense for them to simply shut these boards down.

Reactions: egd27

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

I suppose. It actually might make the most sense for them to simply shut these boards down.

I agree with BM14. I tried browsing without AdBlock and the boards were extremely difficult to use, and impossible on mobile.

There’s a way to make money here, but it will be slightly more difficult than just installing a JavaScript snippet.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

That would be awesome. Usenet (free, open, ad free, unmoderated) might mercifully make a comeback I couldn't give a flying f about these people and their business model I just want to talk hockey People will find a way LIKE THEY ALWAYS HAVE, with or without this site I promise you.

Reactions: dsred

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Easier solution is the people who don't like it should be permitted not to visit.

Obviously, we can all give our opinions, but if the opinion is that the visit is unenjoyable wouldn't a free person just avoid the discomfort?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Easier solution is the people who don't like it should be permitted not to visit.

Obviously, we can all give our opinions, but if the opinion is that the visit is unenjoyable wouldn't a free person just avoid the discomfort?

Nah ULF

It's way easier to whinge about it, everybody wants to be offended and tell others what's good for them instead

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Why is the dog whimpering in the corner?
Oh, he is laying on a nail!
Why doesn't he move?
Because it doesn't hurt him bad enough.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Not a fan of the over aggressive adds tho. I remember about a year ago this one crappy movie kept forcing me to watch the same clip every time a page refreshed. This new aggressive banner ad is reminding me of those days. There has to be a way they can satisfy both parties without trying to gain revenue from accidental click hits. If this multi-million company that owns this site is focused on sustainability, upsetting their consumer base is not means for a profitable future.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

What if the opinion is, I don't particularly enjoy it but for whatever reason, this site is the universal hub for hockey discussion/knowledge? I don't like my morning commute either. Will you ban me from using the roads too?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I have to log in every time I visit. Could stay logged in before.

When they first switched to the new site format, I thought I had the exact same problem until I realized no matter where I was in a thread, they were always asking me at the very top of the page (hidden from view) if I wanted them to keep me logged in. You might want to scroll up to the top and see if that's happening.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What if the opinion is, I don't particularly enjoy it but for whatever reason, this site is the universal hub for hockey discussion/knowledge? I don't like my morning commute either. Will you ban me from using the roads too?

Who said anything about banning?

Taking that commute is your choice, now if you're commuting to a job you hate that is on you right?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
people who keep having to log in - make sure it's HTTPS - not HTTP.
the S will remember your cookies, and w/o s will not, hopefully that helps.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

or you know have an ad-payment programme that doesn't slow down your entire computer and take over everything else. I participate on a lot of other boards, and they have small ads at the bottom and the side.

i don't blame these people for wanting ads. everyone needs them to help pay the bills, and then they charge 12.00 for you not to have ads, which i think is a fair compromise and that people are willing to do. however, the argument is that since a move - which was not necessary (if the argument that was presented was that the place looks more modern, people have "likes" which was a big issue" and having truly invisible ignored people) - and the cost is that any time something big in hockey happens, boards have a seizure then quite frankly it is

A: not well money spent on those who run the spent, and
B: not well money spent on those who wish to invest in the site.

so it would make more sense to actually invest in a model that would generate them more money due to being more usable vs. shutting down, among other things.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Who said anything about banning?

Taking that commute is your choice, now if you're commuting to a job you hate that is on you right?

Actually I hate my job but it pays very well and for the foreseeable future, I've resigned myself to the fact I have no way out at least a few more years (as in, I have to - I have people depending on me to provide a certain level of income). I complain about it constantly with no apologies. And it ain't me that makes the job miserable, it's certain conditions that I have no control over so, no, it's not on me in any way except maybe for making the mistake 30 years ago to start down this career path.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad