Simple Pre-OffSeason State of the Yzerplan

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
from another gm that "doesn't want him" who just so happens to have learned everything from yzerman.

very bold
Yeah Zegras to here is more like a 1st + ALjo or Wally kind of move (which other teams likely beat). A very good young player but I don't see his style as the type you build a team around. If we are dealing ASP + Kasper + a pick we are getting a more established young player back.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Bold strategy Cotton. 2 players Yzerman wanted, for 1 player Yzerman didn't want.
Weird way of looking at it, plus you don’t know all the details.

Maybe Yzerman liked Zegras a ton but just liked Seider better.

And Yzerman has traded away players he’s drafted in the 1st round before.

Yeah Zegras to here is more like a 1st + ALjo or Wally kind of move (which other teams likely beat). A very good young player but I don't see his style as the type you build a team around. If we are dealing ASP + Kasper + a pick we are getting a more established young player back.
Good luck getting a team to trade you a player better than Zegras.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

To be fair..teams dont trade players as good or better than Zegras unless theirs some underlying issue...and when they do...the return rarely rarely matches...

Reactions: dj4aces

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002

Better maybe not. Established is a little different. Right now the Wings have Ray and DBC as skilled top 6 smallish wingers. I don't see the Wings giving up a ton (which ASP+ Kasper+ a pick is) to get another similar player. I don't see Zegras as a true NHL center on a successful playoff team.

If Stevie deals for him I feel it would have to be more of a DBC type move where we get a deal for some reason. I don't think he is a guy Stevie pays top dollar for. So not opposed to him, but I don't see him coming to the Wings because someone else would pay more.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing

And ASP is a player we don't have, imo Kasper is in the same territory. Danielson and Kasper is build from the same mold as Larkin, Compher, Copp, a 2-way center, which Zegras isn't. And as it was pointed out, it's Verbeek in the other end. If he doesn't like him, what are the chances that Yzerman likes him so much that he trades away two 1st round picks who ain't even busting? Or who haven't showed weak character?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And ASP is a player we don't have, imo Kasper is in the same territory. Danielson and Kasper is build from the same mold as Larkin, Compher, Copp, a 2-way center, which Zegras isn't. And as it was pointed out, it's Verbeek in the other end. If he doesn't like him, what are the chances that Yzerman likes him so much that he trades away two 1st round picks who ain't even busting? Or who haven't showed weak character?
I'll also mention I never said Yzerman would do all that... it was merely a fun exercise of what I would do. (I doubt Anaheim actually trades Zegras, to be honest.)

(We also have no ways of knowing what the Wings front office true feelings are on the current trajectory of Kasper or Danielson.. you're kind of adding your own opinion there)

Better maybe not. Established is a little different. Right now the Wings have Ray and DBC as skilled top 6 smallish wingers. I don't see the Wings giving up a ton (which ASP+ Kasper+ a pick is) to get another similar player. I don't see Zegras as a true NHL center on a successful playoff team.

If Stevie deals for him I feel it would have to be more of a DBC type move where we get a deal for some reason. I don't think he is a guy Stevie pays top dollar for. So not opposed to him, but I don't see him coming to the Wings because someone else would pay more.
More established is good, but part of the reason I would personally trade for Zegras is I think he still has room to get better. I also think long term there is a decent shot he will be able to play center.

Last edited:

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
It's funny that we've had a lot of complaints about where the direction of this team is going.

Like, remember the 2017-2020 era when we had merely a mid-upside guy in Rasmussen and a flailing Zadina (I really did wish he had panned out). We were TERRIBLE and scraping by on the literal dumpster fire that Kenny tried for far too long to drag us through the trenches with. What Stevie has done with his drafting and the being patient with said high picks (seeing as we only have one top 5 pick with Raymond at #4), you HAVE to be patient. The game is so fast and strong and skilled and you gotta let kids develop.

The surrounding talent of cup winners like Perron, Compher and the GOAT USA player Kane is a W move in my books. This insulation of the veterans makes a HUGE difference instilling a winning culture for the kids to step into. This franchise knew how to win 15-30 years ago and even before the playoff streak they sucked enough to have the "Dead Wings Era" named for them. Newer era now, and it's harder than ever to draft great players and build a winning team.

Obviously this ride with Stevie hasn't been totally smooth, but I think this is working out well considering how low we had to go. I mean, look at our prospects and how they did the WJC. Look how the top players in our system this season are bouncing back into form (Cossa, Kasper) and others who are already showing excellent growth (ASP, Danielson, Augustine, even Mazur). Edvinsson is on the cusp.

Cautious optimism because I believe that since 2019 we have been building slowly, but surely. This stuff takes time if you wanna do it right you gotta suffer for a bit. Can we not be thankful to be on the cusp of the playoffs once again finally?!

Reactions: saska sault

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’d love it if we could move some players out at the trade deadline: Maatta, Ghost, Copp (wishful thinking), Husso (super wishful thinking)

Would be nice to free up some $ to go after free agents (Lindholm, Montour, Pesce, a goalie). Would also be nice to free up a spot for a kid on an ELC, especially if we give long term extensions to Mo and Ray. I’d like to see Berggren and Ed on the opening nigh roster and maybe Danielson or Mazur or Marco pushes for a spot too.

Not sure how Steve will approach the deadline though if we are still in the thick of things.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I’d love it if we could move some players out at the trade deadline: Maatta, Ghost, Copp (wishful thinking), Husso (super wishful thinking)

Would be nice to free up some $ to go after free agents (Lindholm, Montour, Pesce, a goalie). Would also be nice to free up a spot for a kid on an ELC, especially if we give long term extensions to Mo and Ray. I’d like to see Berggren and Ed on the opening nigh roster and maybe Danielson or Mazur or Marco pushes for a spot too.

Not sure how Steve will approach the deadline though if we are still in the thick of things.

I think we see SE and Mazer on the team next year with Berggren traded, while Kasper and Danielson in GR

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Yzerman has set us up for long term success so well. We have so much flexibility. I ran a quick capfriendly assuming the cap would by 87.7mil (Betman's current prediction) and we could look like this with $2.5mil in cap space to spare.
1706467820511.png

The year after Maatta, Kostin, and Petry would be off the books to give a slight raise to Fabbri. that's really the only critical guy to keep for the next offseason. After that will be Edvnisson who will probably get a bridge and Walman. And then after that the big one is DeBrincat but the Copp contract expiring covers his raise. Obviously we're going to add guys and get rid of guys and my salary projections for Mo and Raymond may not be entirely accurate but the idea still stands. I don't know if there is a team in the NHL more thoroughly planned out than Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad