Simple Pre-OffSeason State of the Yzerplan

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's far from a given that the Yzerplan will include even one big-time FA addition. His Tampa rebuld didn't. But in any event...let's take a look at some of the big-time UFA's (in our core's age range) in the next few classes.

And I want everyone who reads this post to pick one FA. Someone A) who we have a somewhat realistic chance of prying; and B) who would have the greatest overall positive impact on our rebuild.

Draisaitl will probably be ready to sign anywhere if Holland is still there by 2025.

What does Holland have to with Draisaitl leaving?

It's Holland built team now, which got past 2nd round. Old dog creating a damn winner there.

Just like it happened at Wings. Better supporting cast is finally starting to work. 5/8 GWGs from the playoffs are from players Holland did sign.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Don't expect anybody big name, just someone like Fabbri , good but not good enough to be first line . Someone like Leddy , keep for a season and trade in the end

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think we'll get:

LW Ondrej Palat (5.6M, 4 years)
- Yzerman guy, has to leave TAmpa for cap reasons. We have czech friends and familiar GM who to trust.

RD John Klingberg (6.8M, 6 years)
- Nill is playing hardball, and also in cap hell, Jason Robertson and Roope Hintz HUGE extensions will eat all the cap, and you can't get rid of Benn & Seguin contracts. Yzerman will offer reasonable contract to get his PP QB.

G Jack Campbell (5.7M estimate, 4 years at maximum, better would be 3)
- Toronto also in cap hell, no chance to keep Campbell. Former Michican guy is gonna join to our 1a/1b situation with Nedeljkovic. We buy some time, before Cossa is ready.

After these, there's 1 forward spot open and 21 million in cap space. We could go after anybody, like both Kadri and Forsberg.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I think we'll get:

LW Ondrej Palat (5.6M, 4 years)
- Yzerman guy, has to leave TAmpa for cap reasons. We have czech friends and familiar GM who to trust.

RD John Klingberg (6.8M, 6 years)
- Nill is playing hardball, and also in cap hell, Jason Robertson and Roope Hintz HUGE extensions will eat all the cap, and you can't get rid of Benn & Seguin contracts. Yzerman will offer reasonable contract to get his PP QB.

G Jack Campbell (5.7M estimate, 4 years at maximum, better would be 3)
- Toronto also in cap hell, no chance to keep Campbell. Former Michican guy is gonna join to our 1a/1b situation with Nedeljkovic. We buy some time, before Cossa is ready.

After these, there's 1 forward spot open and 21 million in cap space. We could go after anybody, like both Kadri and Forsberg.
I totally agree that those moves seem plausible, but I'm having a hard time imagining deals for who's on their way out.

If Yzerman signs Gaudreau / Forsberg, who slots down or gets traded, Zadina?

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Raymond
Vrana - Suter - Zadina
Palat - Veleno - Rasmussen
Soderblom - Stephens - Sundqvist

Erne, Smith, Fabbri (LTIR) as extras.
Leaving Berggren in GR.

Edvinsson - Seider
Walman - Klingberg
Staal / McIsaac / UFA signing - Hronek

Oesterle, Lindstrom as extras.

Ned
Campbell

Cossa / Pickard / Brattstrom in GR

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
It's far from a given that the Yzerplan will include even one big-time FA addition. His Tampa rebuld didn't. But in any event...let's take a look at some of the big-time UFA's (in our core's age range) in the next few classes.

And I want everyone who reads this post to pick one FA. Someone A) who we have a somewhat realistic chance of prying; and B) who would have the greatest overall positive impact on our rebuild.

2023:
-N. MacKinnon (26)
-D. Pastrnak (25)
-M. Barzal (24) *RFA*

2024:
-A, Matthews (24)
-S. Aho (24)
-J. Guentzel (27)
-E. Pettersson (23) *RFA*

2025:
-L. Draistil (26)
-M. Marner (25)
-M. Rantanen (25)
-S. Theodore (26)
-N. Ehlers (26)

For my money...I think there's a serious chance Matthews is fed-up enough to consider leaving Toronto in two off-seasons, and we could be looking like the next Tampa by then, with the league's most player-beloved GM.

Draistil will probably be ready to sign anywhere if Holland is still there by 2025.

Marner (for the same reasons as Matthews) could also possibly be had then.

What say you?
Holland has assembled a team that is resting while they await their conference final opponent. I think it's ridiculous to think Draisaitl would want out. He's going to have a couple of rings in the next few years. Maybe even this year.

As for free agent signings, there won't be any. This rebuild is on the slowest possible track.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
If I have to pick one, I'll pick MacKinnon. He'd make the biggest impact -- we'd have an elite 1C that would push Larkin down to 2C where he'd then be elite, among 2Cs.

The problem: Colorado isn't strapped for cash. His cap hit is currently under $7M (?!), but they can, and almost certainly will, offer him a substantial raise. I don't know what we could offer him to lure him away from a team that looks set up to make deep playoff runs for years.

We'd probably have to beat the Av's offer by $2M per year.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If I have to pick one, I'll pick MacKinnon. He'd make the biggest impact -- we'd have an elite 1C that would push Larkin down to 2C where he'd then be elite, among 2Cs.

The problem: Colorado isn't strapped for cash. His cap hit is currently under $7M (?!), but they can, and almost certainly will, offer him a substantial raise. I don't know what we could offer him to lure him away from a team that looks set up to make deep playoff runs for years.

We'd probably have to beat the Av's offer by $2M per year.
I would LOVE to have him, but I don't see why a home grown player who is the best player on a team playing on the the best line in the league, which is also the best team in the league (at least regular season) would want to leave. I feel like his situation is every players dream.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

2023:
-N. MacKinnon (26)
-D. Pastrnak (25)
-M. Barzal (24) *RFA*

2024:
-A, Matthews (24)
-S. Aho (24)
-J. Guentzel (27)
-E. Pettersson (23) *RFA*

2025:
-L. Draistil (26)
-M. Marner (25)
-M. Rantanen (25)
-S. Theodore (26)
-N. Ehlers (26)

For my money...I think there's a serious chance Matthews is fed-up enough to consider leaving Toronto in two off-seasons, and we could be looking like the next Tampa by then, with the league's most player-beloved GM.

Draistil will probably be ready to sign anywhere if Holland is still there by 2025.

Marner (for the same reasons as Matthews) could also possibly be had then.

What say you?
The following threads all have two things in common:

* Picking the right (big-time) FA for the rebuild
* Simple Pre-Offseason State of the Yzerplan
* 2022 Free Agency Thread
* Beautiful "State of the Wings" Article (Prashanth Iyer)
* Most excited I've been for an Yzerman off-season yet
* Post TDL (4-Apr) look ahead to the 2022/23 season
* If your goal is to make a playoff run next year (w/o ruining our future)..what do you do?

1) They were all started by you in the last few months.
2) They're all more or less about the same topic.

You're certainly entitled to your opinions, regardless of what degree others agree or disagree with them. But please use less of a shotgun approach for dispensing them across these boards. Seeing (essentially) the same thing in several places does not facilitate better conversation.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Who does Dubas plan on shipping Mrazek off to and who will he overpay to replace him?

The comedy continues in Tronna...

EDIT - I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Soup donning the Winged Wheel...We'll need a legit guy to share the load with Ned and we'll have a good amount of cap space to play with.
My guess is Kyle Dubas buys out Mrazek during the buyout window right before free agency.

grewalwings

May 23, 2014
Ontario
Doubt we get any of the big names y'all mentioning. I'd be happy with Strome and Edler, and using the kids that are ready to fill the remaining spots.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Hire the coach for the future.

Trade a third and a roster player for jake muzzin.

Trade for Matt Roy from the kings.

Sign a 2c to a reasonable term contract (trochek, copp, strome)

Add Berggren and edvinsson to the team while soderblom and Johansson are on the griffins.

Re-sign hellberg or any other FA goalie.

Sign bertuzzi and larkin to extensions.

Trade hronek

Give seider an A.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Still rebuilding, but we are on the fast track and moving right along. Yzerman should find some more UFA to trade at TDL to gain free assets for the 23' draft.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Now it's looking good, very good. Instead of bringing new kids Yzerman brought bunch of plugs to improve team and try to make playoffs. Some of them should be extend, most importantly have extra defense and goaltenders, just in case injury or struggles . Same time build future team in Grand rapids. Maybe we have Detroit #3 Pair with Edvinsson and AJ next season. Will be interesting if Berggren with team next season, if Kasper with Danielson make big team , hopefully on the same line with Kane

Reactions: Sentinel

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
the Alex DeBrincat trade IMO was the signal of let's try not to suck any longer phase of the rebuild. I don't expect Yzerman to really hold back at this point anymore, if there is a trade or signing available now he will do it. I still see Berggren being traded.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Maybe we have Detroit #3 Pair with Edvinsson and AJ next season. Will be interesting if Berggren with team next season, if Kasper with Danielson make big team , hopefully on the same line with Kane
I think it's highly unlikely that there is 2 rookie d-man in the line up next season, like you wrote "Instead of bringing new kids Yzerman brought bunch of plugs to improve team and try to make playoffs." Same story next season.

X1 - Larkin - Ray
Cat - Comp - "Kane"
Fabbri - Veleno - "Sprong"
Ras - Copp - "Fischer"
Kostin

Walman - Seider
Ed - X2
Chiarot - Petry
Määttä/Holl

Lyon
Husso
X3

X1 should be Berggren replacing Perron, for next seasons success it would be important to re-sign Kane and Sprong. Fischer has played well, i would re-sign him, 1-year deal. Re-sign RFA forwards and offence is pretty much set. 50-game mark is closing and Wings are still in the top-5 in most goals. No point to blow it up.

Danielson starts in GR, no point to even expect that Danielson starts in Detroit. The brass finds a excuse, no matter how well Danielson plays in pre-season. "Not enough center spots in the top-9" or something like that, without any injuries it's not happening. Kasper is now roughly where Ed was last season and he had to return to GR this season. After next season Fabbri will most likely be gone, that opens up a spot to Kasper, Mazur or Danielson. Veleno takes Fischer's spot, Fischer's could take Kostin's spot, i don't see much use for him. That would open a 2nd spot, two best gets in and worst goes to GR.

X2 will be intresting, re-signing Ghost is one option but it should be short term deal. Trade imo would be best choice, there's been that hfboards rumour that Yzerman is trying to make another "McDonagh"-trade. Everyone here been after Hanifin but Wings are set in LHDs, RHD would make more sense. Ekblad would be perfect, i don't see Florida having the cap space to re-sign him. Florida is a short of D prospects, which Wings have plenty. I think it could be done. UFA pool quite poor, but that probably is the last resort. Or then Yzerman keeps Määttä. Johansson will be the 1st call up, unless he gets traded. Which seems more likely, i don't see a fitting role in a long run.

X3 is probably "Lyon 2.0", Copley? Rittich? Or maybe Reimer re-signs a cheap deal.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think it's highly unlikely that there is 2 rookie d-man in the line up next season, like you wrote "Instead of bringing new kids Yzerman brought bunch of plugs to improve team and try to make playoffs." Same story next season.

X1 - Larkin - Ray
Cat - Comp - "Kane"
Fabbri - Veleno - "Sprong"
Ras - Copp - "Fischer"
Kostin

Walman - Seider
Ed - X2
Chiarot - Petry
Määttä/Holl

Lyon
Husso
X3

X1 should be Berggren replacing Perron, for next seasons success it would be important to re-sign Kane and Sprong. Fischer has played well, i would re-sign him, 1-year deal. Re-sign RFA forwards and offence is pretty much set. 50-game mark is closing and Wings are still in the top-5 in most goals. No point to blow it up.

Danielson starts in GR, no point to even expect that Danielson starts in Detroit. The brass finds a excuse, no matter how well Danielson plays in pre-season. "Not enough center spots in the top-9" or something like that, without any injuries it's not happening. Kasper is now roughly where Ed was last season and he had to return to GR this season. After next season Fabbri will most likely be gone, that opens up a spot to Kasper, Mazur or Danielson. Veleno takes Fischer's spot, Fischer's could take Kostin's spot, i don't see much use for him. That would open a 2nd spot, two best gets in and worst goes to GR.

X2 will be intresting, re-signing Ghost is one option but it should be short term deal. Trade imo would be best choice, there's been that hfboards rumour that Yzerman is trying to make another "McDonagh"-trade. Everyone here been after Hanifin but Wings are set in LHDs, RHD would make more sense. Ekblad would be perfect, i don't see Florida having the cap space to re-sign him. Florida is a short of D prospects, which Wings have plenty. I think it could be done. UFA pool quite poor, but that probably is the last resort. Or then Yzerman keeps Määttä. Johansson will be the 1st call up, unless he gets traded. Which seems more likely, i don't see a fitting role in a long run.

X3 is probably "Lyon 2.0", Copley? Rittich? Or maybe Reimer re-signs a cheap deal.
This summer Yzerman needs resign and pay more money to Raymond, Seider, Veleno, Rasmussen ,Kane, Fisher and Ghost + we got some expensive contracts . Something needs to be done about it. And I hope Kasper, Danielson, both 20 next season and AJ with Edvinsson, Mazur with their second half performance and preseason leaving no choice to Yzerman , but let them play for a big club and those going to be dirt cheap contracts

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
This summer Yzerman needs resign and pay more money to Raymond, Seider, Veleno, Rasmussen ,Kane, Fisher and Ghost + we got some expensive contracts . Something needs to be done about it. And I hope Kasper, Danielson, both 20 next season and AJ with Edvinsson, Mazur with their second half performance and preseason leaving no choice to Yzerman , but let them play for a big club and those going to be dirt cheap contracts
29 million in cap space, i don't see a problem to re-sign all of them. Ed will play in Detroit next season, no doubt about it. Kasper, Danielson, Mazur, Johansson all of them are waiver exempt and Yzerman will use that. There is not enough meaningful minutes for everyone either, Yzerman would have to start trading after the pre-season. When every team is full and healthy, there is no buyers then. TDL is the place trade during the season.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I dont see Ghost back and can see Matta being dealt as part of a pckg to bring in a better top 4 dman..

Walman-Seider
Edvinsson-X
Chariot-Holl
Petry

Up front it'll be more interesting depending on Kane's future... hopefully he is able to continue and we resign Sprong and Fisher..Perron is likely gone and Beggren dealt as part of a deal for a dman

Fabbri-Larkin-Raymond
Debrincat-Compher-Kane
Rasmussen-Copp-Mazer
Fisher-Veleno-Kostin

Kasper and Danielson in GR

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
For next season, Danielson, Edvinsson and Berggren will be NHL regulars.

Reimer, Gostisbehere and Perron are let walk.

From RFAs, Seider, Raymond, Veleno, Berggren and Rasmussen will be extended.

From UFAs, could see Sprong and Fischer extended.

That will leave one slot open for UFA, could be Patrick Kane or someone else (Stamkos?).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is how we hoist the Cup by the end of next season (honestly pretty EZ guys)

-Trade Ghost at the TDL for best return possible
-Trade Copp at the TDL for whatever we can, even if we have to retain some salary
-Let Maatta, Fischer, Perron walk in free agency
-Re-sign Rasmussen, Veleno, Raymond, Seider as upcoming RFA's
-Re-sign Kane and Sprong as upcoming UFA's
-Trade ASP +Kasper or Danielson + pick for Zegras at the draft
-Sign Pesce and DeSmith/Talbot in free agency
-Waive Husso and pray to god someone takes him

Opening night lineup

Debrincat-Larkin-Kane
Fabbri-Zegras-Raymond
Berggren-Compher-Sprong
Kostin-Veleno-Rasmussen

When Fabbri inevitably gets hurt you call up Mazur or whoever is left from the Zegras trade between Danielson or Kasper.

Walman-Seider
Edvinsson-Pesce
Chiarot-Holl

Johansson and Wallinder will be first in line for call-ups

Lyon
DeSmith/Talbot

Should work... right?

I'll meet you guys at the Cup parade next year :)

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I dont see Ghost back and can see Matta being dealt as part of a pckg to bring in a better top 4 dman..

Walman-Seider
Edvinsson-X
Chariot-Holl
Petry

Up front it'll be more interesting depending on Kane's future... hopefully he is able to continue and we resign Sprong and Fisher..Perron is likely gone and Beggren dealt as part of a deal for a dman

Fabbri-Larkin-Raymond
Debrincat-Compher-Kane
Rasmussen-Copp-Mazer
Fisher-Veleno-Kostin

Kasper and Danielson in GR
Don't know about Kostin , he is slow and we have to many slow guys already , he could fight and bring physical game , but he didn't do it against Dallas. Kinda overpriced, just like Copp

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
For next season, Danielson, Edvinsson and Berggren will be NHL regulars.

Reimer, Gostisbehere and Perron are let walk.

From RFAs, Seider, Raymond, Veleno, Berggren and Rasmussen will be extended.

From UFAs, could see Sprong and Fischer extended.

That will leave one slot open for UFA, could be Patrick Kane or someone else (Stamkos?).
No way in my opinion SY dors that

The defense would be still not good enough and Danielson should be in GR

Don't know about Kostin , he is slow and we have to many slow guys already , he could fight and bring physical game , but he didn't do it against Dallas. Kinda overpriced, just like Copp
He isn't quick but I think we will benefit come a playoff rd to have him..much more so than a # of other guys...

So I see him still around 1 more season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad