Simple Pre-OffSeason State of the Yzerplan

blueadams

May 30, 2011
Top-6 Forwards:

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Raymond
Vrana-???-???

...Need another big-time center and right-handed wing.

Top-4 Defensemen:

Edvinsson-Seider
???-???

...Hronek (or Lindstrom) = 3rd pair at best. Possible Wallinder, Buium or Johansson emerges as a legit 2nd pair; still have to see more though.

Net:

Cossa, Ned

...Think we've got our future #1 and #2 in place already.

Bottom-6 Forwards:

Soderblom-Suter-Mazur
Berggren-Rasmussen-Niederbach

...Suter is a fine 3rd line center. Rasmussen should be a fine 4th line center. Soderblom, Mazur, Berggren and Niederbach all project to be solid bottom-six wings. Fabbri, Sundqvist, Zadina and Veleno are all still there too. Mastrosimone, Tyutyayev, Zito, Hanas, LD Nilsson and Savage are all still looking solid. Our bottom six's future is looking pretty solid.

3rd Pair Defenseman:

Wallinder-Hronek

...Buium, Johansson, Walman, Sebrango, Viro...of course...all still there too on the left side. Lindstrom still there on the right side (Tuomisto and Cotton being long shots). Our 3rd pair future's looking pretty solid.

Overall:

Still need two top-6 forwards and two top-4 D. Just 4 players.

Not very overwhelming at all. Hit on our next two 1st's. Sign two nice FA's.

(and maybe you don't even need 4 if Soderblom/Wallinder/etc. hit big)

There's really quite a nice base in place already, isn't there?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
- Goes after UFA Ondrej Palat. 4 years 5.5M
- Brings in Elmer Söderblom, who'll take a spot from Day 1.
- Other younger forwards will be send back to Europe or Griffins

Ondrej Palat --- Dylan Larkin --- Jakub Vrana
Tyler Bertuzzi --- Pius Suter ---- Lucas Raymond
Elmer Söderblom -- Joe Veleno --- Filip Zadina
Adam Erne --- Michael Rasmussen -- Oscar Sundqvist

--------------------------
(Jonatan Berggren, Mitchell Stephens, Givani Smith)
Robby Fabbri - LTIR (for first month of the season)

Our new coach will create Totally new lines, some new 1st line punch. This creates great depth to 2nd line, when "bad team 1st liners" Bertuzzi and Raymond will become 2nd liners.

Söderblom becomes a massive skill player to 3rd line, great match with Veleno and Zadina.

Our former 3rd line material becomes a 4th line. Just so much more depth compared to past.

- Goes ALL SWEDEN at defence. :)
- Goes after UFA LD Alex Edler
- Goes after UFA RD John Klingberg
- Will bring in LD Simon Edvinsson, who'll take a spot from Day 1.

Moritz Seider --- John Klingberg
Simon Edvinsson -- Filip Hronek
Alexander Edler --- Gustav Lindström

------------------
Jake Walman - Jordan Oesterle
(Albert Johansson?)

As our new coaches are rebuilding our Left side Defence, they'll sign 2 new guys and also Moritz Seider will move temporarily to play his off-side. And Seider will take a defensive role as Klingberg is his partner. This is a new part of his development process to a become superior and complete player.

Yzerman will wait for chances to trade Hronek (for a Center in a package) as the season goes further. When Hronek is traded at some point, Seider will go back to right side. Some LD like Albert Johansson could be promoted from Griffins by mid-season, after Hronek leaves. Then the ALL SWEDEN-project is complete.

Alex Edler will come to mentor our swedish defenceman prospects, starting from Edvinsson and Lindström.

- Goes after UFA goalie Jack Campbell or Ville Husso
- Will bring in Sebastian Cossa as 3rd goalie --> who'll go to Griffins.

G Jack Campbell / Ville Husso
G Alex Nedeljkovic

----------------
G Sebastian Cossa

blueadams

May 30, 2011
- Goes after UFA Ondrej Palat. 4 years 5.5M
- Brings in Elmer Söderblom, who'll take a spot from Day 1.
- Other younger forwards will be send back to Europe or Griffins

Ondrej Palat --- Dylan Larkin --- Jakub Vrana
Tyler Bertuzzi --- Pius Suter ---- Lucas Raymond
Elmer Söderblom -- Joe Veleno --- Filip Zadina
Adam Erne --- Michael Rasmussen -- Oscar Sundqvist

--------------------------
(Jonatan Berggren, Mitchell Stephens, Givani Smith)
Robby Fabbri - LTIR (for first month of the season)

Our new coach will create Totally new lines, some new 1st line punch. This creates great depth to 2nd line, when "bad team 1st liners" Bertuzzi and Raymond will become 2nd liners.

Söderblom becomes a massive skill player to 3rd line, great match with Veleno and Zadina.

Our former 3rd line material becomes a 4th line. Just so much more depth compared to past.

- Goes ALL SWEDEN at defence. :)
- Goes after UFA LD Alex Edler
- Goes after UFA RD John Klingberg
- Will bring in LD Simon Edvinsson, who'll take a spot from Day 1.

Moritz Seider --- John Klingberg
Simon Edvinsson -- Filip Hronek
Alexander Edler --- Gustav Lindström

------------------
Jake Walman - Jordan Oesterle
(Albert Johansson?)

As our new coaches are rebuilding our Left side Defence, they'll sign 2 new guys and also Moritz Seider will move temporarily to play his off-side. And Seider will take a defensive role as Klingberg is his partner. This is a new part of his development process to a become superior and complete player.

Yzerman will wait for chances to trade Hronek (for a Center in a package) as the season goes further. When Hronek is traded at some point, Seider will go back to right side. Some LD like Albert Johansson could be promoted from Griffins by mid-season, after Hronek leaves. Then the ALL SWEDEN-project is complete.

Alex Edler will come to mentor our swedish defenceman prospects, starting from Edvinsson and Lindström.

- Goes after UFA goalie Jack Campbell or Ville Husso
- Will bring in Sebastian Cossa as 3rd goalie --> who'll go to Griffins.

G Jack Campbell / Ville Husso
G Alex Nedeljkovic

----------------
G Sebastian Cossa
Limiting myself to one critique..

Palat isnt the elite right-handed wing that I think Yzerman would invest big in.

Reactions: Konnan511

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
#1 Sign a 2C (Trocheck, Copp/Strome)
#2 Sign Jack Campbell
#3 Trade for a top 4 LD

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
#2 Sign Jack Campbell
#3 Trade for a top 4 LD
I get the impression Campbell will want to stay in Tronna and Dubas will make some moves (Mrazek/Nylander) to free up cap space.

While appearing indifferent throughout the series against TB - Nylander was productive (3G 4A).

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
#2 Sign Jack Campbell
#3 Trade for a top 4 LD
This is about right. It won't be as big of an offseason as some have predicted. The No. 2C spot is still our biggest hole (has been since 2016?). I think we try to trade for a LD and then sign one from the UFA market. Campbell is fine, but so are about five or six other names.

Summer will be quiet for the most part...

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
I get the impression Campbell will want to stay in Tronna and Dubas will make some moves (Mrazek/Nylander) to free up cap space.

While appearing indifferent throughout the series against TB - Nylander was productive (3G 4A).
Soup isn’t returning to the leafs, he’s available

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

You got the inside scoop on Soup?
Recently saw this, and have seen other similar sentiments shared:

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
I expect another painfully conservative offseason. Add 2 rookies. Plug a few holes with spare parts on one year deals, hire a new placeholder coach to take fan's wrath and slog to another lottery pick.
Trade Bert at deadline for futures. Repeat next year and the year after.

Reactions: Ulysses31

blueadams

May 30, 2011
Yeah... why not getting both?
I think Yzerman will strike very strategically and infrequently on the FA market.

Of our big 4 needs (C, RHW, LHD, RHD)...I'm guessing...
-1 spot is filled internally (Wallinder, Buium or Johansson hitting big)
-2 spots are filled at the top of the next two drafts.
-1 spot is filled via FA.

Bottom 6 forwards and bottom pair d are mostly going to be cheap young draftees...i think...not big money vets like palat

Last edited:

Mert64

Apr 24, 2014
Toronto
I expect another painfully conservative offseason. Add 2 rookies. Plug a few holes with spare parts on one year deals, hire a new placeholder coach to take fan's wrath and slog to another lottery pick.
Trade Bert at deadline for futures. Repeat next year and the year after.
Please do something while Larkin is still good. This poor guy is having his time wasted

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Chris Johnston said that both Soup and Mrazek are gone.
Who does Dubas plan on shipping Mrazek off to and who will he overpay to replace him?

The comedy continues in Tronna...

EDIT - I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Soup donning the Winged Wheel...We'll need a legit guy to share the load with Ned and we'll have a good amount of cap space to play with.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Campbell is gone almost guaranteed. They just offered him a 2.7 X 3 and that was reported by Elliot Friedman as them being way way off. TOR doesn't have much money to go a lot higher than that and Campbell is going to want as much as he can get as this will be his only chance at a big money deal.

If Campbell takes a 4X4 or 4 mil X 3 years I sign him, but nothing more or longer.

I think Chiarot would be a decent add, for the right price, but not anything UFA crazy. 4X4 seems fair for what he brings, although I fully expect 5 years X 5.5-6 wherever he goes. Zadorov for a 2X2 I would be ok with if we can't pull off a bigger trade to get someone to play with Seider. Not sure who that target would be or if one realistically is available this year. And no, I am not suggesting either of them as Seider's partners, more so realistic UFA targets to improve our blueline.

Despite what people feel about Hronek he stills has good value trade wise, as many defenders on basically every team have negative aspects about their games. I still think with a good defensive partner that Hronek will be a good top 4 option.

Who does Dubas plan on shipping Mrazek off to and who will he overpay to replace him?

EDIT - I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Soup donning the Winged Wheel...We'll need a legit guy to share the load with Ned and we'll have a good amount of cap space to play with.

Mrazek is very likely getting bought out. That is the heavy rumour right now.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

If we could get Soup for 4x4 wouldn't mind bringing him home, He and Ned should be fine for a year.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Please do something while Larkin is still good. This poor guy is having his time wasted
I think best case scenario Larks is on the Yzerman time-line. Around year 14 he might lead a cup team stacked with younger stars like Yzerman did. I don't see Bert signing another deal here. Hopefully the hometown team thing has enough draw to lure Larks into staying long term.

blueadams

May 30, 2011
It's far from a given that the Yzerplan will include even one big-time FA addition. His Tampa rebuld didn't. But in any event...let's take a look at some of the big-time UFA's (in our core's age range) in the next few classes.

And I want everyone who reads this post to pick one FA. Someone A) who we have a somewhat realistic chance of prying; and B) who would have the greatest overall positive impact on our rebuild.

2023:
-N. MacKinnon (26)
-D. Pastrnak (25)
-M. Barzal (24) *RFA*

2024:
-A, Matthews (24)
-S. Aho (24)
-J. Guentzel (27)
-E. Pettersson (23) *RFA*

2025:
-L. Draistil (26)
-M. Marner (25)
-M. Rantanen (25)
-S. Theodore (26)
-N. Ehlers (26)

For my money...I think there's a serious chance Matthews is fed-up enough to consider leaving Toronto in two off-seasons, and we could be looking like the next Tampa by then, with the league's most player-beloved GM.

Draistil will probably be ready to sign anywhere if Holland is still there by 2025.

Marner (for the same reasons as Matthews) could also possibly be had then.

What say you?

Slim

Nov 2, 2014
Up north
Matthews leaving Toronto?

Well if I would post in the stylish finesse as you yourself usually answer people you disagree with, I would most likely write something along the manner of:

Are you completely Pejorative Slured, your money is worth shit, get lost you moron!

Me personally, I find it extremely unlikely that more than two of those mentioned (up until 2024) will change clubs.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
A choice can't be made. A) We don't have a realistic shot at any of these guys out on the open market without something else drastically changing and B) We're not going to fix the ills of our team by signing one guy like this.

Now, do I want to be there asking the question about acquiring these guys? Yup. I guess I'd be thinking that Yzerman should be hanging on the phone around playoff time to see if Toronto will do something stupid with Marner. You know, deal him for peanuts because they're overreacting. But that's assuming Dubas is going to do something dumb when pressure is applied.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad