Recalled/Assigned: Simmonds loaned to Marlies; Holmberg called up

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Interesting to see that the management is doubling down on stupid.

lol

I don’t mind this move because we want to see what Holmberg can bring or we need to showcase, I think we have to trade for Chychrun when he’s healthy

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Potential injuries aside, I'd like to eventually go on a run with some stability in the lineup. That said, now is the best time to experiment and these are some of the players suited for that.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Probably going to slot in as the fourth line center. Hopefully Kral gets another game with Giordano as well. Let these kids play.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I like Holmberg but I find it odd to call him up before Steeves who seems to bring other elements to the table that the lineup is missing right now in the bottom six. He's also more seasoned at this point in time and his numbers are way better than Holmberg's with the Marlies. Holmberg is also a little older than Steeves believe it or not.

Reactions: geo25 and fahad203

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like Holmberg but I find it odd to call him up before Steeves who seems to bring other elements to the table that the lineup is missing right now in the bottom six. He's also more seasoned at this point in time and his numbers are way better than Holmberg's with the Marlies. Holmberg is also a little older than Steeves believe it or not.

Holmberg is a center, Steeves is not. Looks like they want Kerfoot and Jarnkrok on the wing for now and get a natural center there instead.

Holmberg is very much a Kampf level player now. He's got more potential of course but for now he's a defensively strong player.

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Does waivers play into this? I think Steeves has to go through waivers to come up?

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Holmberg is a center, Steeves is not. Looks like they want Kerfoot and Jarnkrok on the wing for now and get a natural center there instead.

Holmberg is very much a Kampf level player now. He's got more potential of course but for now he's a defensively strong player.
Holmberg is a center just like Kerfoot & Jarnkrok are centers.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Sorry but at this point defense shouldn't be the issue. When you have Kerfoot, Engvall, Kampf, ZAR, NAK, Jarnkrok etc available to you as bottom six guys, defense really shouldn't be a concern. And if we're talking about Cs, Engvall, Kampf and Kerfoot are all multi position forwards.

I'd rather take a chance on Steeves or Joey Anderson to see if we can actually improve the offensively inept bottom six.

Reactions: geo25

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sorry but at this point defense shouldn't be the issue. When you have Kerfoot, Engvall, Kampf, ZAR, NAK, Jarnkrok etc available to you as bottom six guys, defense really shouldn't be a concern. And if we're talking about Cs, Engvall, Kampf and Kerfoot are all multi position forwards.

I'd rather take a chance on Steeves or Joey Anderson to see if we can actually improve the offensively inept bottom six.

Engvall is awful as a center and should never play that position ever again. Kampf is obviously going to stay as a center. Kerfoot is also a much better winger.

The point is that it moves them to the wing and Holmberg being a natural center gives them the ability to move them to the wing. Holmberg is also capable offensively despite the slow AHL start. He has plenty of skill and showed it in his short stint last season.

But I agree Steeves should be on the Leafs very soon. It'll happen very soon I think.

Reactions: aingefan

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Engvall is awful as a center and should never play that position ever again. Kampf is obviously going to stay as a center. Kerfoot is also a much much much better winger.

The point is that it moves them to the wing and Holmberg being a natural center gives them the ability to move them to the wing. Holmberg is also capable offensively despite the slow AHL start. He has plenty of skill.

But I agree Steeves should be on the Leafs very soon. It'll happen.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Has he not played C for almost his entire career?
2Q==.jpeg

Pontus Holmberg Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad